Does anybody know of any Death Metal (or any sub-genre of DM) bands/albums/songs that are in standard tuning? I can't think of anything.

Does it even exist?
tuning doesnt affect the fact that it exists or not.. it has definitely not been made popular with death metal (it appears grinding out open drop A's is the way to go) you will basically be left transposing the song up because you arent tuned low enough and you lose the 1 finger power chords drop tuning is notorious for..

that being said, have fun with it... make it exist
Winds of Plague, thats all I can think of.

And forgive me if they arent death metal or whatever, I'm not too keen on the band myself, I just know of them and what they tune to...
And where they live.
I AGREE
I think Death Breath (with Nicke from Entombed) goes with the 6-string standard tuning thing just for the hell of it.
Most of their songs are in standard tuning, some are in drop D and in D standard, but I can't think of any song in Eb. But I could be wrong.
Dimmu Borgir

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
i can't think of any well established bands off the top of my head, but i'm working on a solo project now that combines elements of technical death metal with a bit of progressive and doom elements, and it's all in standard. it can definitely be done, it just usually isn't.

dimmu borgir and 3 inches of blood aren't death metal
Last edited by theogonia777 at Dec 4, 2009,
We are the Nightmare - Arsis is entirely in standard.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Quote by Panasonic3
We are the Nightmare - Arsis is entirely in standard.

i think that whole album is
Quote by f22chris
Toxic Holocaust > really good death/thrash metal band which plays in standard tuning. I recommend listening to them.

http://www.myspace.com/toxicholocaust

toxic holocaust are awesome but i dont think they use standard tunning...from what ive heard they are either DGCFAD like nuke the cross or 1/2 down ,Eb etc. :/
Quote by Djaganath
Most of their songs are in standard tuning, some are in drop D and in D standard, but I can't think of any song in Eb. But I could be wrong.

Hmm... I could've sworn at one point that I saw/heard that they tuned to Eb.

Now that's going to bug me, and I'm going to go on a man hunt to find out where I heard that from
Quote by f22chris
Toxic Holocaust > really good death/thrash metal band which plays in standard tuning. I recommend listening to them.

http://www.myspace.com/toxicholocaust

Don't ever bring up that pos band
ever

far from death metal

more like montly crue rejects who decided to get back at them and start a way worse band composed of fail, eyeliner, three power chord songs, and a singer that looks like he got shot with Homers makeup gun set to *****
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
WTF is wrong with metalheads today. Took nearly 20 posts in a topic asking for standard tuning DM before someone said Atheist. Bunch of falses around here IMO.

Also, IIRC Cynic is standard tuning aswell. And maybe Morbid Angel too.
Quote by AngryNoiseDude
WTF is wrong with metalheads today. Took nearly 20 posts in a topic asking for standard tuning DM before someone said Atheist. Bunch of falses around here IMO.

Call me Batman.
Quote by mikey son
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797585

Most early death/thrash bands are in standard tuning

BTW Opeth arent death metal

G

T

F

O

For heaven's sake, even the thread you linked to lists them as progressive death metal.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Opeth do play in standard 95% of the time. I can't think of any of their tunes that're downtuned half a step. Some of their songs however (Demon of the Fall, Blackwater Park etc) are in drop d.
Also one of the best True Death Metal bands (i.e. not prog death metal like Opeth or Cynic) use standard tunings like the mighty Deicide!
cynic are always in standard, and opeth have about five different tunings (no one has mentioned this but they play in D minor tuning quite a bit) - but often play in standard.
gojira are in drop D and are heavy as ****.
Norther and Ensiferum play in standard tuning alot, plus you gotta love Petri Lindroos
Slayer tunes half step down for most of there early stuff im pretty sure and early cannibal corpse does too
Quote by sketchy z
Ya, and get them damn kid's with the skateboards off the sidewalks! derp derp deerp

My gear

-Epiphone explorer (FR trem)
-crybaby 535Q
-Peavy Vypyr
Old thread, but I thought I'd post incase anyone else is curious.

I'm 99% sure the first Obituary album is in standard tuning.
Current favourite bands:
METALLICA
MASTODON
NILE
Cannibal Corpse's first CD is written in standard tuning.
Proudly endorsed by Kamecki Guitars and WBgear!

My guitars:
-B.C Rich NJ Jr.V Deluxe (6 string guitar)
-Kamecki Custom V guitar