are distortion pedals meant to boost the clean to distortion or the distorion ever further or both?
Distortion pedals are generally used to Distort the clean to distortion. Depending how they're set up you can use them to add further gain but it doesn't always work too well.
I know for a fact that my Boss OS-2 Overdrive / Distortion didnt like it when i used amp distortion with it :P
both can work, though with the amp distorted you have to turn down the distortion on both the amp and pedal. as far as which works best, it depends on the amp/pedal combination, as well as what kind of tone you want.
works best distorting a clean signal

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
On tube amp they'll do either, arguably using them to augment the onboard distortion is the best way to use them - however on a solid state amp you'll generally only get away with running them clean, trying to "boost" the gain channel just causes excessive noise and uncontrollable feedback.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
On tube amp they'll do either, arguably using them to augment the onboard distortion is the best way to use them - however on a solid state amp you'll generally only get away with running them clean, trying to "boost" the gain channel just causes excessive noise and uncontrollable feedback.

This as long as it's analog distortion. If it's digital, run it clean even with a tube amp.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||