Hey everyone.

i've got a big problem with my line 6 spider III:

sometimes the metal and crunch preset buttons work and sometimes none of the preset buttons work, and the insane button never works.

does anyone have experience with this?

and yes i know they are crappy amplifiers, but it is my first amplifier and i only need it for my living room.

any good advices?

Thanks
Alex.
Is it new...or did you buy it as new? Or did this all just start?
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
They're probably bad solder joints, I'd just take it to a tech Or buy a new amp
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
I'd recommend also trying to take this to the Vypyr forums. If you need a link I can find it for you, its on their site though. Just google "Peavey Vypyr Forum."

Edit: I meant Line 6 forums for all of that. I kept thinking of the kind of amp I have and their forums have a nice amount of technical stuff on the amps.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Last edited by Chaos Nil at Dec 5, 2009,
^how would the Vypyr forums help?

Also, I doubt it is a bad solder joint. I don't think there are a lot of solder joints in this thing. It sounds like a software problem to me. I mean if the Insane channel doesn't work at all then that is a problem. If it is new, return or exchange it. If not, then come up with a Plan B.

Also, maybe ask on the Line 6 forums at line6.com, they have a thread dedicated to these amps. Maybe it just needs a reboot or a patch of some kind.
^
this.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Budget?
Home or Gig?
Genres?
New or Used?
Closest City?

Are you a machine? Does your system allow you to reed the OP?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
well i bought it new in 2008.
i do not think it is a soldier problem, cause if the amp is on lets say preset metal sometimes it just starts up again but on clean and i cant turn it off.

resetting the amp is not really an option cause the button used to reset it is the clean button with obviously doesn't work either...

i guess i should ask thison the line 6 forums then

Thanks!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Plan B.

*cough* New Amp *cough*
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
ask on the line 6 forum. but just so you know, taking these type of amps to a tech wont really do much, since the preamp is all one computer that's very hard to mess around with, not like fixing a regular amplifier with just the standard parts in it.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I have that same amp. First, try to do a reset. I forget how to do it -- it's in the manual -- but it is something like hold down the Clean button when you power on.

Second, the line6 forums were very helpful for my problem.

I had an issue, which is really a "feature", that every time I switched to Clean, there was some phase shift and time delay. I had to turn up the two knobs and then turn them back down to zero to clear it and get true clean sound. The solution is to save the true clean sound to the Clean button by holding it in until it blinks.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^how would the Vypyr forums help?

Wow, totally meant to say the Line 6 forums. I started thinking of how my amp has a lot of technical stuff on the forums and I switched it around. I feel hella retarded now. Thats what I get for not getting rest and posting...
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Quote by rdsmith3
I have that same amp. First, try to do a reset. I forget how to do it -- it's in the manual -- but it is something like hold down the Clean button when you power on.

Second, the line6 forums were very helpful for my problem.

I had an issue, which is really a "feature", that every time I switched to Clean, there was some phase shift and time delay. I had to turn up the two knobs and then turn them back down to zero to clear it and get true clean sound. The solution is to save the true clean sound to the Clean button by holding it in until it blinks.
i have the same problem thanks now i have solution .