I tend to limit myself to pentatonic when I improvise.... I was taught the major scale CAGED style, so it's not like I only know pentatonic. I'm learning harmonic minor too. I know other scales but find it hard to incorporate them into my playing... any tips? I've been playing for a little over 2 years btw. It bothers me because my playing sounds too "blues-based" a lot of the time.
Force yourself to use a scale as far away from the pentatonic shape as you can! Harmonic minor would be a good start. Just focus on playing as differently as you can. Hopefully this will help you get out of your creative rut.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
I'd say the same... How did you learn pentatonic? You used it. I'm sure when you started it, it sounded dull and unoriginal, but as you used it more you got better. It's the same with the other scales- once you use them enough, you'll find the phrases and licks you like and make it your own even if it takes a while.
Okay, looking back, my post was sort of poorly worded.

I guess what I'm really wanting to know is what scales should I focus on that would be the most applicable with shred/metal type stuff?
Quote by SLD.Potato
Force yourself to use a scale as far away from the pentatonic shape as you can! Harmonic minor would be a good start. Just focus on playing as differently as you can. Hopefully this will help you get out of your creative rut.

Okay that helps. I was wondering if harmonic minor was important enough to focus on, or if there were others that would be more necessary at this point in my practicing.
Stop thinking of shapes and actually take time to learn what the different scales actually sound like and how they can be used.

There's no point "learning the harmonic minor scale" - instead, learn all about the major scale, then you can earn how the natural minor scale relates to the major scale, then you can learn how the harmonic minor scale developed as an alteration of the natural minor scale that makes for nicer resolutions to the tonic.

Theory makes a lot more sense and is a lot less work if you approach things in the right order.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com