I don't want to pay too much more than 100 dollars. I've ordered an SM57 to upgrade from my radioshack dynamic mic which I've been using but I'm also looking to upgrade my condenser now from the cheapest one available.

I'm attracted to the AT2020 but I don't know too much about it. Can anyone recommend me other mics in the slightly under to slightly over $100 range? It'll be used for acoustic guitars, vocals and in conjunction with my SM57 for miking cabs.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
See if you can find a Golden Age FC1 MKII microphone. They're a new brand from Sweden, but they're sold in the states. Amazing large diaphragm condenser, absolutely blows everything else away in the price range. I paid $99 for mine.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I don't want to pay too much more than 100 dollars. I've ordered an SM57 to upgrade from my radioshack dynamic mic which I've been using but I'm also looking to upgrade my condenser now from the cheapest one available.

I'm attracted to the AT2020 but I don't know too much about it. Can anyone recommend me other mics in the slightly under to slightly over $100 range? It'll be used for acoustic guitars, vocals and in conjunction with my SM57 for miking cabs.

For the price the AT 2020 is going to do you good. Cheapest mic I have, yet probally most used next to sm57. I have both sm57 and at 2020. You'll need a pop screen though for sure with the AT 2020.

The AT2020 has a warm yet full sound for its price... I found perfect for vocals.
Quote by Sid McCall
See if you can find a Golden Age FC1 MKII microphone. They're a new brand from Sweden, but they're sold in the states. Amazing large diaphragm condenser, absolutely blows everything else away in the price range. I paid $99 for mine.

http://www.altomusic.com/altoweb/getproduct.php?prodid=10495

This what you're talking about?

Edit:

In response, it'll probably be used LEAST for vocals. Mostly for acoustic guitar.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Dec 4, 2009,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
http://www.altomusic.com/altoweb/getproduct.php?prodid=10495

This what you're talking about?

Edit:

In response, it'll probably be used LEAST for vocals. Mostly for acoustic guitar.

For acoustic guitar...I would reccommend MXL...the 990 or similar. From my expereince.

But then again its hard for a single person to compare all variety of mics out there. Best bet is to go down to your local music shop. And let it rip...That how I look for mine. most times I have a predetermined sound I want to achieve. And a trip to music stores always solves that when you look at it that way.
That's pretty funny, I bought mine at Alto Music! Where are you from?

The GA is WAY better than an MXL 990, trust me. If anyone wants, there's now a demo on my profile of the mic. Enjoy!

I also used it on every track for vocals and acoustic guitar here: www.myspace.com/kriscambria
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
That's pretty funny, I bought mine at Alto Music! Where are you from?

The GA is WAY better than an MXL 990, trust me. If anyone wants, there's now a demo on my profile of the mic. Enjoy!

I also used it on every track for vocals and acoustic guitar here: www.myspace.com/kriscambria

Oh wow. That sounds so good. I'll probably get that. I definitely prefer it to the 2020. Thanks for making that for me!

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
the one thing about the 990 is you can get the pack with the 990 and 991 for $100. when used together they make a good acoustic track as they balance each other very well. i havent used the other so i cant really compare, but if you go for the 990 make sure you get the 991 as well. Bill did a nice review that is in one of the stickies.