If I got one Shure SM-57 microphone, this which contains Pro Tools, 2 monitors, an interface, and a condenser mic, along with Peavey PV14 Mixer would this give some fairly high quality recordings.

I'd run the SM 57 into the Peavey Mixer, along with any other mics I have if I need them out into the Digidesign M-2 interface, into my computer onto Pro Tools.

Would this work out? Would it sound good. Is the hardware/software I'm using any good? Anything better?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Pro Tools is your best friend! Its my favorite mastering program. Its features are endless. And rewire feature add extra dimension as well...With other programs in the chain. The sm57 is an amazing instrument mic, and vocal might I add, oddly!

This combination alone, pro tools and the mic will love each other. Along with your interface you should be recording some pretty impressive home recordings!

Not sure of the mixer you have, so cannot give opinion.
Well if you are just recording yourself (i.e. 2 inputs of less), you would not need the mixer because the interface has 2 mic/line inputs on it that you can use. Also it will give you a very good quality recording if you know what you are doing as far as setting your levels and everything.

hope that helps
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
Keep in mind the SM-57 is not designed for studio use. It's not that it won't sound good, it's just the reason they are famous are for the live uses not there studio ones.

Also, the room you are recording in plays a huge (massive actually) factor in how everything will sound. So don't expect anything amazing, especially if you are still new to mixing/mastering. Expect decent results.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
Keep in mind the SM-57 is not designed for studio use. It's not that it won't sound good, it's just the reason they are famous are for the live uses not there studio ones.

Also, the room you are recording in plays a huge (massive actually) factor in how everything will sound. So don't expect anything amazing, especially if you are still new to mixing/mastering. Expect decent results.

1. Do you have a better mic to recommend.
2. I know that. I would use small room with acoustic padding. I know a fair amount about sound physics. There's also the issue of positioning your mic to the amp. Which is why I assumed a directional mic would be better then a condenser mic because you have more direct control of your mic, right?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
1. Do you have a better mic to recommend.
2. I know that. I would use small room with acoustic padding. I know a fair amount about sound physics. There's also the issue of positioning your mic to the amp. Which is why I assumed a directional mic would be better then a condenser mic because you have more direct control of your mic, right?

The SM57 is going to sound great. It all about using pro tools, and setting up acoustics for sure. With right setup and configuration and mixing you can make a cheap mic sound good! Sure its a soldier lil gig mic, but truth is, its so versitile!

One trick to keep in mind about a mic:
They all have their blind spots.. A spot on the mic where not much will be picked up. Find out where on the mic that spot is. And point that towards the biggest noise in the room. I.e mostly your pc, and its fans the culprit.

If you want tips mixing and recording feel free to IM me, or add me as friend.
Any other comments anyone?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Doodleface is wrong, the 57 is a great mic and is used in professional studios all the time.

Also the Peavey mixer is a bit of a waste of time here.
Last edited by Beefmo at Dec 4, 2009,
Quote by Doodleface

Let's all count the number of rock and metal albums where the SM57 was used to mic the guitars. If we start now I'm sure we can have a fairly comprehensive list by next Tuesday.

OP: The setup is good, now it's up to you to learn how to use it. Unless you'll be recording live drums, which would be very hard with those tow mics, then skip the miser; the preamps in the Digi hardware is better anyway.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
that setup will suit you well in recording. you probably dont need the mixer though. peavey mixers are solid and well built, but with only 2 mics, well you have two inputs already. if you are planning on using a lot more inputs that $300 might be better spent towards getting a different interface or a couple extra mics. maybe get something like a pv8 if you really want a mixer, then spend the difference on another mic.
Quote by jof1029
that setup will suit you well in recording. you probably dont need the mixer though. peavey mixers are solid and well built, but with only 2 mics, well you have two inputs already. if you are planning on using a lot more inputs that $300 might be better spent towards getting a different interface or a couple extra mics. maybe get something like a pv8 if you really want a mixer, then spend the difference on another mic.

Ok. Great.

I'll keep that in mind.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Can I mix it and polish it up on Pro Tools after I'm done? I mean like really mix it. Do a real good mix.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

How can we keep idiots from posting in these threads. Saying an SM57 is not a studio mic is perhaps the dumbest thing I've read so far in this forum.....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
How can we keep idiots from posting in these threads. Saying an SM57 is not a studio mic is perhaps the dumbest thing I've read so far in this forum.....

That's what I was thinking when I heard that, but I wasn't 100% sure.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

thats a decent mic for sure...

I hang blankets from the ceiling in my house when I record. It cuts down on the sound bouncing
Quote by turbopuke

I hang blankets from the ceiling in my house when I record. It cuts down on the sound bouncing

Plus egg cartons and mattress pads.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

im pretty sure the band on this page was recorded with that same exact package.

http://www.myspace.com/theworldendswithyouband

The drums are a drum machine tho. I've also heard a much more recent recording from the same band and its much much better quality. But i've been asked not to show anyone. I think alot of it is whos doing it. Because i have a similar interface and i cant get nearly as good quality. But somebody who knows what there doing can work wonders with the cheapest of stuff.
Quote by xsv434
im pretty sure the band on this page was recorded with that same exact package.

http://www.myspace.com/theworldendswithyouband

The drums are a drum machine tho. I've also heard a much more recent recording from the same band and its much much better quality. But i've been asked not to show anyone. I think alot of it is whos doing it. Because i have a similar interface and i cant get nearly as good quality. But somebody who knows what there doing can work wonders with the cheapest of stuff.

Right on man. I thought it sounded pretty good the one demo they had.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Brendan.Clace

Idiots are everywhere... and they ALWAYS seem to want to "instruct". I get tired of all the misinformation that's spread around in these forums and other forums too. My brother is a Psychologist and he told me one time that "The dumber they are the more clever they think they are"... how true.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
Idiots are everywhere... and they ALWAYS seem to want to "instruct". I get tired of all the misinformation that's spread around in these forums and other forums too. My brother is a Psychologist and he told me one time that "The dumber they are the more clever they think they are"... how true.

Thanks for being on the look out.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by turbopuke

Nice use of technical terms there, at least blankets might be a bit more effective than useless egg cartons I suppose, which is a huge recording myth.
Any other inputs?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Beefmo
Nice use of technical terms there, at least blankets might be a bit more effective than useless egg cartons I suppose, which is a huge recording myth.

I thought egg cartons were good.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

egg cartons take out small amout of high frequencies. But doesn't do much. The low's are still there...Its a poor mans way. But there are better thast for sure. Like he said..its more or less a myth.
Quote by nynejoe
egg cartons take out small amout of high frequencies. But doesn't do much. The low's are still there...Its a poor mans way. But there are better thast for sure. Like he said..its more or less a myth.

What about mattress pads?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Well Ive had alot of time to play around and research the subject in past 4 years or so. And mattress pads vary.. It really depends on the density of the material in question. Foamy, light made materials tend to only banish the high frequencies. The ones which are easier to get. The low ones, below 1hz will reflect nonetheless with light denisty materials.

But if it is dense mattress foam it could work... From my experience, I fill the room with as much as I can. I know it sounds wierd. I mean I dont clutter the room, but fill it up big things, and move them around. Couches, big cushions, beds and box springs ehehe wallunits, list goes on. Just shy away from less dense objects and youll be fine.

Of course there is speical designed foam substances now-a-days you can buy. Open cell foam i belive its called. Dont quote me on this. Have never bought any myself.This doesn't really follow what I say here, since it been engineered for such a purpose.

edit: If your grand ma makes quilts like mine they come in handy LOL
Last edited by nynejoe at Dec 6, 2009,
Best thing to do if your interested improving the acoustic properties of a space is first:

A) Make sure your room isn't square.

B) Make some DIY bass traps out of a rockwool.
Pretty much everything that has been said (minus the SM57 being a crappy studio mic) is true.

One thing I would suggest would be to get a rack compressor and rack preamp to help give the mics more of a professional sound instead of the mixer. For home, this will work for a compressor and something simple like this will work for a preamp (unless someone could suggest something better). My buddy bought a compressor for his studio and our vocals went from meh to good with the help.

I would only suggest buying the mixer if you plan on recording more than 2 inputs simultaneously (Pretty much drums). Even then, for a good drum setup, you only need 4 channels (Snare, Bass, 2 Overheads)

Quote by CatharsisStudio
this package sucks. try looking harder.

How about instead of telling him it sucks, you help him out.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I agreee wtih lockwolf...Least you could have said was why YOU think it sucks.
The whole idea is finding out what works for certain people, trade ideas, methods, etc.... in this fourm. And to make best do with what a person got. If we all take your mentailty, no one would be recording in this forum. Cuz there is always something better, or ways you can make it better. The idea is to share.