do you palm mute 2 strings when playing metal songs? and punk songs?

you know like if there is like a triplet( those fast notes) do you palm mute 1 string or two strings?

and when you use alternate picking for palm muting power chords do you palm mute 1 string or two?

how to learn alternate palm muting? i can alternate palm mute 1 string but im kind of struggling palm muting 2 strings(like a chord).
i can palm mute chord with a standard down picking but when i have to palm mute 2 strings(a chord) with alternate picking its kinda hard.

can you give me some tips on alternate palm muting? or is there a lesson?
That depends on how many strings are being played. I mean, if there's only one note being played, why would you palm mute two?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I normally just rest my palm on the top three (EAD) strings and rest my fret hand fingers that I'm not using on the rest to keep any unwanted sound coming out, and it's pretty comfortable for me.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
it can be one, two or even three strings palm-muted...when there is a triplet, palm-mute the top string being fretted or played...use one string for alternate-picking palm-muting
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
+1 for blizzboy

I do the same, so this isn't even a problem for me, it's when I'm palm muting quickly alternate picked passages from D-E that things get tricky as my fingers may black unwanted noise but they dont necessarily give me that palm muted crunch that I like, it sounds more like a dampened harmonic, anyways, unless you're playing Megadeth, you'll probably never run into a problem like that anyway
:confused

You palm mute whichever strings you want palm-muted.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ +1

hand naturally rests on the bottom 2 strings and mute them when im doing fast palm muted stuff. seems like it barely grazes the d string
yeah, but like in those metal songs, how can you hear a difference between a palm muted chord(2strings) or one?

when palm muting a chord it sounds thicker i guess...

but how to alternate palm mute a chord (2 or sometimes 3 strings)?

yaeh, your hand naturally rests on strings, but you can palm mute 1 string or 2 or maybe even 3 at the same time.

and i just want to know how to alternate palm mute chords(2 strings at the same time, for example a power chord) my picking hand just doesnt go so fluently up and down, its like i put too much tension on my palm muting hand.

so how to palm mute using alternate picking? like chords an stuff?
Last edited by scream92 at Dec 4, 2009,
I use my right hand to mute all the strings lower than the string(s) I'm playing. This is essentially the same thing as palm muting, only I'm not playing them, and just muting them to prevent sympathetic vibration. If the song needs palm muting on a string that's being played then I will mute that one too.

Quote by blizzboy
I normally just rest my palm on the top three (EAD) strings and rest my fret hand fingers that I'm not using on the rest to keep any unwanted sound coming out, and it's pretty comfortable for me.

E A and D are the bottom three strings....
just palm mute as part of your style, i know mostly metallica and megadeth so i guess after a while it just comes naturally, i never took lessons or 'learned' to palm mute,
when im playing chugging slow powerchords i palm mute 2 or maybe 3 strings, (most of the 3-string palm muting is dropped-tunings)
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Quote by isaac_bandits
E A and D are the bottom three strings....

in pitch yes, relative to the ground, no. I hate when people say top or bottom about a guitar because it can be either way depending on the way you look at it, so I always say low or high.

anyway, it depends on the song. most of the time for fast stuff like gallops it's just one string and when it's slower it may be two or three, it depends on the situation and what it should sound like.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
in pitch yes, relative to the ground, no. I hate when people say top or bottom about a guitar because it can be either way depending on the way you look at it, so I always say low or high.

Low or high would have the exact same problems...

It just standard nomenclature to refer to the lowest pitch string as the bottom string. Its even written that way on tab!