so i just recorded myself using my own amp and and it sounded like crap. i dont really know anything about EQ so i pretty much just left it as it was when i got it with just a few little tweeks. i want a nice clean sound with no extra rumbling and stuff.

so, how do i know when my EQ is good? i know every1 has there own taste but for a good clean sound what should i do or how should it be set? im using a line 6 lowdown 15w if thats any help. thanks
There is a saying in poetry, "show me, don't tell me." here you are announcing everything, like an announcer to a sporting event. "Dave has the ball. Dave passes the ball. Dave picks his ass."

~Zanascross

XD epic win
It all depends on what your sound is at right now..
if you are using a backing track too.
It's all about tweaking and mixing.
I hear there are "sweet spots"

You can create your own tone, or mimic anothers.
you should try a backing, it helps fill out your sound.
otherwise, I tweak my treble down.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
It could be what you're recording with. I'm no expert on EQ, I'm always playing around with mine and just leaving it at whatever I'm in the mood for, but how are you recording yourself?
Asking about EQ without telling us anything about your setup is kinda useless. As for figuring out your EQ, I would recommend looking up a ubiquitous poster named thefitz and checking out his EQ blog. Anything I would tell you would be a poor representation of what is in there.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
i recorded myself on my sisters phone, so of course taht will mess with the quality of the sound, but still. and sam, like i said above im using a line6 lowdown 15w amp, and my bass is a dean edge, thats all i know off the top of my head. the thing is tho that when i do mess with my EQ, i dont errally hear that much of a difference, it just sounds like its getting alittle louder. idk, is there a setting i should start up with first then go from there? like start with the mids and work from there? (just an example)
There is a saying in poetry, "show me, don't tell me." here you are announcing everything, like an announcer to a sporting event. "Dave has the ball. Dave passes the ball. Dave picks his ass."

~Zanascross

XD epic win
The quality will ALWAYS be shitty on a phone. If you want a nice clean tone, I suggest you start with something like bass 1 o clock, low mids 10 o clock, high mids 1 o clock and treble at around 2/3 o clock. Tweak it from there to get a sound you like.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I meant, how many bands do you have? I like to have my mids at 6, everything else at 5, but I have only three bands, and my bass sounds really pretty decent there. You really just gotta try different things.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Phones have no bass in recordings. You're playing bass.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
thanks fleair, i will try that. and sam, im sorry but idk what you mean by bands lol

~Zanascross

XD epic win
Quote by NOTAFOX

so, how do i know when my EQ is good?

When it sounds good.
I have that amp- the bass sounds nice and round at many different eq settings

your sisters phone is what sucks
ya, i know. but still. idk lol

~Zanascross

XD epic win
Quote by NOTAFOX
thanks fleair, i will try that. and sam, im sorry but idk what you mean by bands lol

No problem. He means how many knobs are there to adjust the EQ on the amp.
So there would be four on the LD15: bass, low mids, high mids and treble.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Zycho
When it sounds good.

You evidently know nothing about recording bass, listening and recording is a different experience. Regarding acoustics, microphones, reverberation, echo, effect, mix, etc.

For a good bass recording get a better bass amp and play it at a decent level without forcing it, check the drop wave and set the proper microphone, mix to your liking. It's not a matter of EQ but more of learning how to record and mix.
Last edited by watchingmefall at Dec 5, 2009,