Hey guys. I'm posting here because I'm in search for the perfect amp (Maybe not the perfect one, but a good one and I'm happy)

Right now I'm using a solid state Randall RX75R combo, which I think is okay. But not much more too that. I'd like to have some heavy thick distortion, but I don't want it all to blend together. With the amp I have now the notes kind of smudges together and you don't really hear all the notes clearly (also this may be a question of technique, but lets assume it's the amp)

I also want it to be sharp, I really want to hear the sound slashing out from the amp. When I crank my Randall up I get a really fat, popping, bassy and not very defined sound. I want it to be tight and aggressive with some sweet gain to it. But I also don't want it to be TOO sensitive (picking up noises and such)

And I'm not going to talk about the cleans. There is a "clean" channel, but I wouldn't call it clean. I don't really play clean very often, but it would be nice being able to have a decent clean sound, even though I value a good distortion the most, it's nice having a good clean when practicing.

I like bands such as In Flames, The Haunted, At The Gates, Dark Tranquility, Killswitch Engage, Tool, Megadeth, Metallica, and a bit of Lamb of God. And I know that the 5150/6505 is pretty much used by most bands I listen to. Should I go for a 5150 or a 6505+ combo? How are they in comparison to the heads? I mean the combos are cheaper than the heads and I've learned from experience that with money comes quality. So they can't really be as good? Or can they? And yeah. I know most of you people think those bands suck so don't sweat it.

I play at home, practicing mostly. But it would be nice to have a good amp being able to play with a drummer or in a band.

I've also been looking at the ENGL Screamer and the Marshall JCM 800 (I know a lot of great bands have been using that one. Like In Flames, Slayer and Megadeth). But I can't really decide. I'm having this huge dilemma. Damn I love it, but I hate it at the same time.

So... What's your opinion. Should I just buy a ****ing a 6505+ and be happy? Or do you think will I regret it? Heard that the clean sound sucks. But hey, if the distortion is great then I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of that.

Man. I had no idea that this post was going to turn out this big. Enjoy my wall of text.
Quote by Suttam
I play at home, practicing mostly. But it would be nice to have a good amp being able to play with a drummer or in a band.

You'll want the combo then. While a head with a cab is always nice, head + good cab will more than likely run you more than the combo. (besides, you could always run a cab for the combo and use the combo as a head. It's doesn't look as cool but it'll have the exact same effect except it'll be 60 instead of 120 watts)

Quote by Suttam
So... What's your opinion. Should I just buy a ****ing a 6505+ and be happy? Or do you think will I regret it? Heard that the clean sound sucks. But hey, if the distortion is great then I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of that.

The clean doesn't suck. Most people EQ their clean settings the same as their lead channel which doesn't give a very good clean.

For Clean Up the post, down on the Pre.

It's not the BEST clean in the world, but it's not terrible at all either.

Of course, this is from my experience with the heads. I hear the 212 combos are biased hotter which means they'll break up faster and easier and I can only assume the 112 does the same.
Last edited by rlheart at Dec 4, 2009,
Dude try to find a used mesa mark iv on ebay good cleans great dstortion!
Im saving up for a mark iv or v hopefullly ill have enough in the next 2 years lol
i just went from a solid state randall (rg100) to a peavey 3120. I tried it next to a 6505 and in my opinion it blew it out of the water in every aspect.
3 channels all with seperate eq, where the 6505 has only one eq. The tone is incredibly sexy and thick. 3 damper options, built in noisegate on the lead channel. The cleans are actually quite nice... be sure to check it out before you dedicate yourself to a 6505.. and make sure you try each damper setting, i use the loose setting and it gives a sick chug when you palm mute.
Quote by swashbuckle50
i just went from a solid state randall (rg100) to a peavey 3120. I tried it next to a 6506 and in my opinion it blew it out of the water in every aspect.
3 channels all with seperate eq, where the 6505 has only one eq. The tone is incredibly sexy and thick. 3 damper options, built in noisegate on the lead channel. The cleans are actually quite nice... be sure to check it out before you dedicate yourself to a 6505.. and make sure you try each damper setting, i use the loose setting and it gives a sick chug when you palm mute.

the 6505+/5150 II is more versitile but has less balls than the regular 6505/5150. the 6505+ has two eqs.

Peavey 3120 is the exact same thing as a peavey XXX and the peavey ultra, both of which you could get in a used combo cheaper than a new 3120 head.

Also since the 3120/XXX/Ultra has active eq, it can be harder to dial in a good tone. However, they can still get pretty brutal with their distortion (it's just a different kind because it uses el34s instead of 6l6's)

It's personal preference really. Ultra/XXX/3120 is WAY WAY more versatile than the 5150/6505 or the 5150 II/6505+ and has much better cleans, but the distortion channel is what it's going to come down to usually on high gain amps such as these.
yeah, from what i have experienced the 3120 had a much more user friendly way of getting a good tone. Like with the 6505 it seemed as though there was only "one feel" to the tone.. for me anyway. Anyways be sure to give them all a try to see which you like yourself.
Quote by slipknot_420
Dude try to find a used mesa mark iv on ebay good cleans great dstortion!
Im saving up for a mark iv or v hopefullly ill have enough in the next 2 years lol

Yeah. I've been looking at that one too. It's pretty damn expensive but man, when I see Willie playing his vomit riff on soundcheck I just get that unexplainable smile on my face. It's just so god-damned sweet.
Quote by swashbuckle50
yeah, from what i have experienced the 3120 had a much more user friendly way of getting a good tone. Like with the 6505 it seemed as though there was only "one feel" to the tone.. for me anyway. Anyways be sure to give them all a try to see which you like yourself.

Yeah. I haven't really considered that amp. But now when you say it I might just have a look at it. Sounds promising.
Quote by Suttam
Yeah. I haven't really considered that amp. But now when you say it I might just have a look at it. Sounds promising.

A used XXX or Ultra would come out cheaper (same amp)