Recently, I'v been using Garageband on my school's Apple computers with the "music typing" option, which allows you to use all the synth generated sounds and drums and all with the actual computer keyboard (A, S, D, F, etc.) it's pretty cool, if not a bit restrictive, actually.
What I'm wondering is if there's anything like this for PC that will allow you to do the same thing?
i think most of them have it. try protools of finale. you can pay for a copy version pretty easy. protools needs specific hardware though.

repeats to self 3 times: i will not endorse illegal downloading on UG or mods will eat me
does acid 7.0 have it? because I already own that, and if I could avoid switching to another program that would be great. (I know it's a weak daw, but for now indulge me, please)
Quote by spacedoutbad
i think most of them have it. try protools of finale. you can pay for a copy version pretty easy. protools needs specific hardware though.

repeats to self 3 times: i will not endorse illegal downloading on UG or mods will eat me

Lol now, now. "Endorsing" is such a.. strong word. Promoting price busting deals! Now that you can use
If we wish to make a new world we have sufficient material at the ready. The first one, too, was made out of chaos

~Robert Quillen~
Ableton! it about the coolest arrangement software I know of. If has alot in one sitting for arrngments. VST galore which can be controlled all from keyboard. Simply assign keys to sounds etc..

Simple, impulse, tension all built in. Which are strings, drums and pretty much any other instrument you name of. I mean the possibiltys are endless. But ableton is awesome for anngement. And can be rewired or bridged with other cool software. Proo tools, melodyne, antares, midi sequencers, VST, etc...

Google ableton. You can get free demo too. Will give you idea. I just read you want a typing program. Ableton came to mind.
Alright, thanks for the help, although now I actually have been turned on to the idea of possibly just getting a midi controller.
I'll check ableton out if I can find the demo.
Your midi controller will work with most DAW and midi sequencers as well...Nice to have in any case. Cheers. Good luck with it all!
Reaper can using the midi keyboard function (that aligns with a real keyboard):

Quote by Beefmo
Reaper can using the midi keyboard function (that aligns with a real keyboard):

Ah, thankyou!
This looks perfect. Reaper is free, isn't it?
Or at least you can grab a demo online somewhere, right?
Quote by IROn 5L1nKY
Ah, thankyou!
This looks perfect. Reaper is free, isn't it?
Or at least you can grab a demo online somewhere, right?

It's shareware basically but the trial lasts forever with no limitations. You're just meant to buy it after a certain period of time but you dont have to for it to continue to work.
I am using Sonar and was having a similar issue-google the items "VMPK" Virtual Midi Piano Keyboard and "Loopbe 1" (an internal midi connection). Both are free and very small. Loop Be sets up an internal MIDI connection in your computer, and after setting the proper connections in both your DAW and the VMPK you can trigger synths and drum loops with your computer keyboard. It's pretty easy to set up.

A MIDI controller will always be better but in a fix this method can be used.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12