I have a Peavey JSX, and I keep the gain on 6. JSX is a VERY high gain amp, and on top of it, I'm using the Ultra channel, and an 81 EMG in the bridge.
Now, I'm very confused on the exact use of a Tube Screamer (Drive down, Vol up, I know), since I read that it boosts gain..?
Also, my JSX has really good EQ, so I can get just the right sounds. Tube Screamer's for mids as well, but I can adjust my amps mids just fine, and they're very responsive.

Should I bother getting one?
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
DD7;NS2;ML2;RC20XL;BCB60;FS6;PH3
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
Last edited by Mr_CiNiC at Dec 4, 2009,
Do you like your current sound? What do you want to change about it?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I like lots of treble, mids TO THIS DAY confuse the **** out of me, so they're around 4. It's kinda hard to fully mute the strings after I hit them, it stays around a little longer than I'd like, but I'm pretty damn sure that's cause of my gain.
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
DD7;NS2;ML2;RC20XL;BCB60;FS6;PH3
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
Last edited by Mr_CiNiC at Dec 4, 2009,
Think of eq as a three tier set up.

Bass adds a lot of thump and low end
Treble adds a lot of sparkle and high end.
Middle?

It's the "middle" of bass and treble, adding warmth, tightness and a tone that cuts through.

I couldn't recommend anything except play with that mids knob

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
^Mr CiNiC

The other cool thing about the Bad Monkey (as a cheap $50 pedal) is the fact that it also has a Low and High control vs just a 'T'one control on the Tubescreamers. So you might find that useful.

Also, I don't think a clean boost (like we are talking here) is going to help with 'after' picking as much as the actual picking. But you might find that with a boost, you can turn the amps gain down a bit which might help.

Also try muting with your left (chord) hand as well where you can.

There are other good clean boosts (Overdrives) out there especially if you have more budget for it.