Do low wattage tube amps sound like high watt ones at their respective volumes?
not really, though you will get a better sound at bedroom volumes out of a lower wattage amp.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
You can get low wattage amp with a built in attenuator
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
depends.

i guess a good rule of thumb would be that, if you can get, say, a 20 watt amp cranked but not a 100 watt amp cranked, then the 20 watt amp will likely sound better (depending on what you play, and the specific amp of course), but if you can't crank either (or alternatively, can), then they probably won't sound the same, for various reasons.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Jak Archer
You can get low wattage amp with a built in attenuator

what amps have that?
i play mostly thrash/metal and budget is 500 CAN maybe more
For thrash metal, you don't want to crank a low wattage tube amp because you don't want power tube saturation that you get from higher volumes, so the higher wattage = more headroom. If you can go used, try and find a used peavey xxx super 40, does metal very well.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ