So I have a squire strat which was my first guitar and it is about 10 years old. I hardly ever play it anymore. I was thinking about upgrading it, over time, to be a decent playing guitar as well as giving me something to do.

What should I upgrade?
-To get a better sound (Pickups, Pots, Wiring)
-Tuners
What should I upgrade too?
Where can I get these upgrades?

I'm not looking to spend lots of money. This is just a project mostly for fun and to dabble in working on guitars

Thanks

Also I have an EC-1000 (81/60) for heavier stuff so I want this strat for clean/blues/classic rock types of music.

I was looking on ebay awhile back and noticed you could buy pickups from higher end fenders for relatively cheap. As well as the pots/wiring/etc... This is why I'm asking.
Last edited by CrackTheSkye at Dec 4, 2009,
guitar upgrades that are worth doing are rarely cheap, don't do anything unless you actually want to spend serious money and do it well.
Quote by CrackTheSkye
What should I upgrade?
What should I upgrade too?
Where can I get these upgrades?

This depends on what you want to improve. Hows tuning stability? Do you like the pickups? Ask yourself what needs to be changed to make it better, then we can help you choose parts and stuff

You're definitely going to want to change the nut since its plastic, and probably the bridge too. Idk about other squiers, but the bridge on mine isnt too great.
Impossible is Nothing
well, it really depends on what you want to upgrade.
A squier that old could probably use some new pickups...
Describe to us it's condition, like paint quality, what's it got on it?
Maybe a new paintjob, get a nice little floyd rose ,'

ALTERNATIVELY:
Just build yyourself a new one, set your budget at around $700 and build it from scratch.
You just LOST the game >: P

After years of extensive research at Yale, it is determined that the game does not, in fact, exist.
Id just put in new pick ups Im a fan of dimarzio are 67s and then see if you like it from their
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
If you want to go all out, I'd suggest redoing everything and just keeping the body and neck. I'm in the process of that now with my Squier Affinity Strat. New Tuners, new string trees, new (bone) nut, I'm having a professional refret the neck, new pots, new switch, new jack, new bridge, new shielding, new pups (and new pup configuration 'cause I want to).

The right Squier is a beautiful base for modding. Some have great necks and bodies. Unfortunately everything else in the guitar can be pretty low quality. After all, you get what you pay for.
Quote by Seref
If you want to go all out, I'd suggest redoing everything and just keeping the body and neck. I'm in the process of that now with my Squier Affinity Strat. New Tuners, new string trees, new (bone) nut, I'm having a professional refret the neck, new pots, new switch, new jack, new bridge, new shielding, new pups (and new pup configuration 'cause I want to).

The right Squier is a beautiful base for modding. Some have great necks and bodies. Unfortunately everything else in the guitar can be pretty low quality. After all, you get what you pay for.

That approach can work out kind of expensive - I've done exactly the same, only I changed the neck - nothing wrong with the neck it had, in fact Squier necks are pretty good in my experience - I wanted a V profile though. The only stock items left are the body and the squier plate on the back of the neck joint.

In truth, I'd probably have been able to buy an American Standard with the amount I've spent over the years but I'd not swap it for anything thing less that a David Gilmour custom shop now, as it's exactly as I want my strat to be. As someone said further up, improving any guitar isn't really something you can do on the cheap, you are just likely to end up with different cheap parts, and no improvement in quality.