Hey everyone, so I recently bought a Brugera 6262 212 combo. I did not try it out at high volumes in the store, but ever since I have been able to use it a high volumes at band rehearsals, I have noticed a ringing noise whenever I turn up the gain on the lead channel, and it is intensified exponentially when the volume it also turned up high. However, there is no ringing on the clean channel at all.

This ringing occurs even when there is no input signal therefore it must be from the amp itself and not feedback from the guitar (and I have a noise gate which eliminates excess noise from the guitar pick-ups).

Does anyone have any idea why this problem might be occurring? The tubes? Bad wiring? The Brugera 6262 212 combo is my first tube amp so I am not too familiar with what all of its components do. I would appreciate any advice/help.
So it's ringing when there's nothing plugged in at all?

It sounds like you have an oscillation somewhere in the preamp, which shouldn't be too hard to track down for a tech. I don't know that there's anything you'll be able to do outside of checking for a microphonic tube (pencil test) but if there's ringing with no cable plugged in it won't just be a bad tube.

So, to answer your question, if it's what I think it is, the cause was a combination of bad luck and poor build quality.
Yes, it rings with no guitar plugged in, but only on the lead channel and not on the clean channel. And as I turn the gain up the ringing becomes louder.

I will look into the pencil test you are talking about since I'm not familiar with it unless someone wants to explain it to me.

I think I'm just going to take it into a local guitar shop tomorrow or Guitar Center, because I only bought it about a month ago and I have until January 1 to return it because of the holiday season, but I'll see if I can get it checked out/fixed. My band has a show upcoming in 1.5 weeks so hopefully I'll be able to get this sorted out before the show and not have to play with this ringing. Recently, I have turned the gain down to 4 and the ringing is fairly minimal, but when I turn it past 6, and I usually use it at 7 or 8, the ringing becomes very loud. However, as the Brugera is such a gain monster it has at least been sufficient enough for now.
The pencil test is to tap the preamp tubes lightly with a pencil while the amp is on, at playing volume. You shouldn't hear anything more than a little ping; if it makes a thumping or banging noise you've got a microphonic tube.

If it's anything other than a bad tube, have the amp replaced. If you have that option there's no sense in having it fixed.
That is a good point to just get my amplifier replaced if it is more than a bad tube. However, I do not believe guitar center stocks bugeras anymore for some reason and I did buy their last bugera amplifier.

I just watched a youtube video about microphonic preamp tubes and the ringing from those tubes sounds similiar to the ringing I am hearing from my amp but the ringing from my amp is constant and does not seem to go in and out as the microphonic tubes in the video.

I will try the pencil tube test tomorrow when I go get my amp from my band's practice space and I will bring it to guitar center and see what my options are.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by thebass444 at Dec 4, 2009,
It shouldn't matter if you bought it at GC, if you registered it with Bugera you have a years warranty straight from them.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by thebass444
That is a good point to just get my amplifier replaced if it is more than a bad tube. However, I do not believe guitar center stocks bugeras anymore for some reason and I did buy their last bugera amplifier.

I just watched a youtube video about microphonic preamp tubes and the ringing from those tubes sounds similiar to the ringing I am hearing from my amp but the ringing from my amp is constant and does not seem to go in and out as the microphonic tubes in the video.

I will try the pencil tube test tomorrow when I go get my amp from my band's practice space and I will bring it to guitar center and see what my options are.

Thanks for your help.

GC still stocks them...they are super backordered (I work there, lol)
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
^+1

Here was the answer I got when I called GC today asking about Bugera's.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

The guy at the store said they still have them and as far as he knows they will continue to sell them in the store.

The guy 'on line' said yes they've been pulled from on-line sales.

Quote by Roc8995
The pencil test is to tap the preamp tubes lightly with a pencil while the amp is on, at playing volume. You shouldn't hear anything more than a little ping; if it makes a thumping or banging noise you've got a microphonic tube.

If it's anything other than a bad tube, have the amp replaced. If you have that option there's no sense in having it fixed.

+2