Hey everyone.

I've always wanted to be able to do that Zakk Wylde vibrato, really wide and aggressive but I just can't get it to sound like him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHq0i2Dwujg&feature=related

Watch some of that and he'll be doing it a bunch anyhow.

7:50-end contains a lot of vibrato.

It's usually these things where I want to learn something and somebody points out something obvious and I'm all "duh" and then I find out how to do it.

Help please!
He just alternates between bending up and down. Not hard, just practice it every day.
this video might help too
Irrelevant, but he has an interesting picking style (7:47). I'm surprised he doesn't get more string noise without right hand muting, which is what I'm currently working on in the technical realm.
If I were you, since Zakk Wylde has a really strong vibrato, I would just vibrato as wide as you can and don't worry about the tone. Your fingers will build up strength and then you can focus on getting the same range.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by NY_FootBall49

But seriously if you wanna do those vibratos be prepared to replace those strings a lot cause he's really just bend the string as hard as he can up and down as fast as he can.

I'm just surprised that he can do them at all with those strings, he uses his signature set which is a .12 pack with the D-A-LowE Strings of a .14 I think.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Hey everyone.

I've always wanted to be able to do that Zakk Wylde vibrato, really wide and aggressive but I just can't get it to sound like him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHq0i2Dwujg&feature=related

Watch some of that and he'll be doing it a bunch anyhow.

7:50-end contains a lot of vibrato.

It's usually these things where I want to learn something and somebody points out something obvious and I'm all "duh" and then I find out how to do it.

Help please!

Vibrato is often an undeveloped technique in guitarists, so congradulations on attempting to improve your vibrato. There is several types of vibrato, but Zakk Wylde's vibrato technique uses a vibrato that goes around the note. He bends both string up above the pitch and down during vibrato. This produces a wide vibrato, especially because this also gives one the tendency to bend the vibrato up to a half-step in each direction, which will produce a full step vibrato- which is crazy wide! So this is what he is doing. Take this technique slow because doing a wide vibrato like this is difficult to control and sounds really sloppy unless you have put some time in it (like Zakk obviously has).

Rock on,
James Erickson
Last edited by James.Erickson at Dec 4, 2009,
Quote by James.Erickson
...especially because this also gives one the tendency to bend the vibrato up to a half-step in each direction, which will produce a full step vibrato- which is crazy wide!

A half-step in each direction is still only a half step, bending up or down doesn't make a difference, the pitch always goes up.
Vibrato comes from your arm, like bending. In Zakk's case, he takes it to a whole new level. His vibrato basically is bending. He really puts a lot of emotion into his music. You'll have to see him live to see that. It takes more than practice to get that. You have to feel the music.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
A half-step in each direction is still only a half step, bending up or down doesn't make a difference, the pitch always goes up.

Yes, it is only a half-step in each direction and so the pitch is only a half-step in total, but the actual traveled distance by the finger is a full step (half step above and a half-step below). That is what I meant. Hope that helps.
Quote by James.Erickson
Yes, it is only a half-step in each direction and so the pitch is only a half-step in total, but the actual traveled distance by the finger is a full step (half step above and a half-step below). That is what I meant. Hope that helps.

That's not possible. No matter which direction you bend, the pitch goes up.

EDIT: Never mind, I can't read.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
they looked like kind of low gauge strings. not to mention he was using 3 fingers to bend.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Im pretty sure he covers Vibrato in this been ages since I have watched this though. Anyway who better to teach you than the man himself. There 6 videos of this by the way. Zakk Wylde
One thing that is overlooked constantly when trying to emulate Zakks bends and vibrato is to rake the strings before the string you're bending.

For example, if you're bending the 13th fret on the B string, mute the E, A, D and G strings with your picking hand. Quickly scrape across those strings and play the B string in one motion(the motion is a lot like a sweep, actually). All that's left after that is to follow it up with the aggressive vibrato the previous posters have described.

That's not exactly what you asked for, I know, but it's a technique that Zakk uses quite a bit with his bends. Give it a try here and there and see how it works out.
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
they looked like kind of low gauge strings. not to mention he was using 3 fingers to bend.

Zakks string gauges: 10-13-17-36-52-60

Not really 'light' are they
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
He's tuned down a half step in a ton of the stuff he plays. I know that doesn't really help on the technique end, but it does help me on the mechanical end of actually doing the vibrato.

Obviously the thumb over the top is pretty important. It's hard to get leverage to do vibrato like that or bends without the leverage of your thumb over the top of the neck.
Last edited by RockInPeaceDime at Dec 7, 2009,
Quote by HarvesterofPain

I already do that, I'm interested in his vibrato, not his bending, thanks anyhow