I'm looking for an OD to throw in front of my HT-5 to boost it into lead metal territory, Think Metallica, Megadeth, Dream Theater etc. Something that gets it heavy. ATM It gets reasonably distorted but not enough for a real wall of gain type sound, that roar you get from one of Kirk Hammet's Mesa's etc.

So far I'm thinking of picking up a ZW-44 used, any other ideas? My budget is about $100 US (Used)
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Fulltone OCD
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
Fulltone OCD

no

TS, get a boss SD-1 and spend some extra cash modding it. the ZW -44 is just a repackages SD-1 w/ some minor mods.

and for cheap alternatives check out the Danelectro Cool Cat OD's
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
no

TS, get a boss SD-1 and spend some extra cash modding it. the ZW -44 is just a repackages SD-1 w/ some minor mods.

and for cheap alternatives check out the Danelectro Cool Cat OD's

What type of mod were you thinking?

Monte allums...keeley??
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by hendrixftw
What type of mod were you thinking?

Monte allums...keeley??

the Keeley Stacked mod is great and it gives you plenty of sound options
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Metallica uses alot less gain than you think.

But, try a cool cat drive, or transparent overdrive is the nice as well. both from danelectro.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I have a HT-5c and I could tell you what not to get: TS9, tried this and it did not help at all.
Also have a bad monkey and it helps with boosting it but I don't think I like the results.
-let us know if you do find something that works with the HT-5, I'm still looking.
JVM 410H
Blackstar HT5c
Jackson KV5FR
ESP LTD H-302
lolz, the HT-5 can hit the tones you want without any help. It isn't all about gain though, learn to use your EQ.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
lolz, the HT-5 can hit the tones you want without any help. It isn't all about gain though, learn to use your EQ.

Not true, it sounds far too vintage on every EQ setting, it definitely doesn't have Mesa gain either. Megadeth he be able to get fairly easily though.

If you get an OD get something in the vein of the MXR ZW-44, the natural mid-scoop might modern it up a little.

You would benefit a little more from a 10 band EQ though.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Last edited by TOMMYB22 at Dec 4, 2009,
Xotic BB Preamp Hands down. Thing is SO gainy....awesome, and is meaner than a TS and doesnt suck the low end out of it. really gives your amp some balls.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Hmmm well...what If I decided to just run a distortion pedal into the clean...

I was thinking either a Digitech TL-2 or EHX Metal Muff...
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by hendrixftw
Hmmm well...what If I decided to just run a distortion pedal into the clean...

I was thinking either a Digitech TL-2 or EHX Metal Muff...

No. Do not do this to that amp.

Boost the hell out of the front end.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
No. Do not do this to that amp.

Boost the hell out of the front end.

Your wrong, i doubt you have played an HT-5 because it is a very british voiced head, it won't sound like Dream Theater with a boost.

TS, i also suggest that for a distortion pedal you pick up a Wampler Triple Wreck, great Mesa tone. It would nail 'tallica and Dream Theater.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The HT5 has an ISF? feature that is basically a voicing knob.

It does change the voicing but it doesn't end up sounding very american, nowhere near a Mesa. Besides the more you turn it to the US side, the brighter it gets which isn't what you want to get that tone.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Xotic BB Preamp Hands down. Thing is SO gainy....awesome, and is meaner than a TS and doesnt suck the low end out of it. really gives your amp some balls.

Yeah it's a little more expensive, but it's worth it. BB's are some of the best overdrive pedals I've ever heard. Truly amazing pieces of hardware.
Quote by TOMMYB22
Your wrong, i doubt you have played an HT-5 because it is a very british voiced head, it won't sound like Dream Theater with a boost.

TS, i also suggest that for a distortion pedal you pick up a Wampler Triple Wreck, great Mesa tone. It would nail 'tallica and Dream Theater.

Have you listened to Erock503's boosted clip? Check it out man!