I bought my guitar almost 2 years ago, but for a long time it just sat around. I decided to pick it up and start playing again recently, and today I was distraught to know that it sounds horrible.

After tuning the guitar I tried to play the few songs I know and it sounded off. I double checked to make sure I tuned right, and everything seemed to be in order. There was a small buzzing sound in the background and whenever I would play chords or notes that rang simultaneously it blared very badly. I did not have this problem just the other night, so I'm trying to figure out the cause.

My equipment is as follows:

Guitar - Epiphone Special SG (2 years)
http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=22&CollectionID=16

Cord - Standard with above guitar (2 years)

Amp - Zoom Fire-36
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1785&brandID=4

Wishful thinking makes me want to believe it is the cord, but I'm not sure if it would cause that kind of problem. Was going to take it into a music store, but wanted to see if I could get an answer here first.

All positive feedback is greatly appreciated.
Well, if youve never changed the strings over those 2 years, the guitar will probably sound like ass. It might also be the cord, they're cheap enough that you can go out and get a new one, so you might as well try it. If theres a buzzing, its either because the strings are hitting the frets, which means that you should probably take it to a pro to have it set up(you could do it yourself, but since you havn't really played the guitar over those two years, you probably don't know much about doing a set up.), or you might just need to turn down the distortion on the amp. Its probably the guitar though, since it just been sitting around for two years.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
I'll try that, but I was hearing the buzzing even when playing on clean. So I know it isn't only limited to the distortion.

Being new to most of this, any recommended brands? I would think I would want higher gauge strings since I mostly play metal.
Higher gauge are good if you want to down tune, but if youre just in standard, then Id recoomend that you just use 9s or 10s for now, so that your finger tips aren't torn apart while trying to play.

Can you hear the buzzing when youre not playing through the amp? If so, its the guitar, and youll need it to be set up. But if you only hear it when you use the amp, theres something wrong with the amp. Set ups are pretty cheap, but its worth every penny when you get it back.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ