Quote by gangsta_rick
what would i need to upgrade to make a squier tele sound like jimmy pages??

he uses a les paul =P
shape doesnt matter.

pickups, scale-length, wood, ect. matters.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
You would need a new amp most likely. The guitar doesn't matter TOO much. But if you happened to have an amp that would do it...I mean, do you want his tele tone or les paul tone?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Jimmy Page has definitely used a Telecaster on a regular basis throughout his career.
Quote by catrolean
Jimmy Page has definitely used a Telecaster on a regular basis throughout his career.

Can anyone say stairway to heaven?

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
to make it sound like Page, you would probably need to buy a new guitar. sorry, but a squier is not likely going to ever sound as good as a high end fender. however, you could improve the sound by replacing the pickups. expensive pickups would make it sound a lot better, but it will still never compare to what you are looking for. my advice is to buy a new guitar.
Quote by concert_addict
to make it sound like Page, you would probably need to buy a new guitar. sorry, but a squier is not likely going to ever sound as good as a high end fender. however, you could improve the sound by replacing the pickups. expensive pickups would make it sound a lot better, but it will still never compare to what you are looking for. my advice is to buy a new guitar.

Oh you would be surprised. I'd put my customized Squier up against an American Standard EASY. Maybe not a CS or an artist, but an American nonetheless.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Ddaydevice13
he uses a les paul =P

Not on most of the records, he didn't. Just on stage because - let's face it - a Les Paul looks cooler than a Telecaster any day.

Page's telecaster was probably ash, with a humbucker in the neck. He got it from Jeff Beck when he took over Beck's position in the Yardbirds, and I seem to recall that being the guitar Beck was using at the time. Page had a Tele with single coils in it too, but he didn't use it as much.

Or maybe I got those reversed. Either way, the telecaster he got from Beck is what you hear on almost all the early recordings, and about half of the Led Zep catalogue overall.

Most of the recording amps were Supros, 5-15 watts. Picture a higher-quality Valve Jr. He also used a Marshall 18, which is like ... the best recording amp ever. EVER.

To get that sound with a new guitar, you'd want hot pickups. I like Seymour Duncan's Quarter Pounders, as they're designed to sound like a vintage pup with extra winds for a little higher output. You also want a big, heavy vintage bridge, and probably a maple fretbaord. Lastly, I'd get the whole thing wired with the thickest copper wire you can jam into the control cavity.

I'd get a Mexican or Japanese Telecaster to use as the base model. The 90s Japanese models are hot shit - some are as good as the new American models. Squier is great for the price, but if you do a bunch of modifications, next thing you know you've spent more than the guitar is worth.

Amp-wise, think small. Page got his recorded sounds with a little amp running extremely hot. I like Gibson's Les Paul Jr. for affordability reasons. It's a $700 amp, but they're stupid cheap everywhere now that they're discontinued and people are stuck with back stock.

Failing that, a Valve Jr. does a pretty good job, as does the Vox version, whatever it's called. Both will eventually want a speaker replacement. For vintage tones, Weber speakers are probably your best bet.
Quote by jean_genie

I like Gibson's Les Paul Jr. for affordability reasons. It's a $700 amp.

wait... what?
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by metal-matt
wait... what?

Read the rest of the sentence, doofus. It's on sale all over, for $300-$400. I consider that affordable, but not cheap.
anyway, even jimmy's guitar wont sound like him on the dude's amp. he needs a new one.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by jean_genie
Read the rest of the sentence, doofus. It's on sale all over, for $300-$400. I consider that affordable, but not cheap.

He might of thought you were talking about the Les Paul Jr guitar. It's actually not very well known that Gibson made a combo amp called the Les Paul Junior.
Quote by Seref
He might of thought you were talking about the Les Paul Jr guitar. It's actually not very well known that Gibson made a combo amp called the Les Paul Junior.

That's fair. I'm a massive fan of little tube amps, so it didn't even occur to me that he might not know that. Guess other people don't think the same way. Whoops.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Oh you would be surprised. I'd put my customized Squier up against an American Standard EASY. Maybe not a CS or an artist, but an American nonetheless.

Im sorry pal, but no.

Ive LOTS of squiers strats. No customization can replace the feel of an american standard in comparison with a squier, you just cant, things are made one way. The finish on my American STD is just unachievable by customization. The way it is perfectly setup, frets are always even, perfectly finished, no fret buzz, awesome neck feel, great poly finish, all things that must be done from fabric. I highly doubt that you got your squier, repainted it professionally, got a refret done to the neck and so.
Quote by divinorum69
Im sorry pal, but no.

Ive LOTS of squiers strats. No customization can replace the feel of an american standard in comparison with a squier, you just cant, things are made one way. The finish on my American STD is just unachievable by customization. The way it is perfectly setup, frets are always even, perfectly finished, no fret buzz, awesome neck feel, great poly finish, all things that must be done from fabric. I highly doubt that you got your squier, repainted it professionally, got a refret done to the neck and so.

sounds like you are a little full on yourself on that. "better is in the hands of the holder"
he may like the feel of his squire strat because of the sentiment and tone his custom job has. You like the feel of your american standard because of its sentiment and it does what you want.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by TechnoLp
sounds like you are a little full on yourself on that. "better is in the hands of the holder"
he may like the feel of his squire strat because of the sentiment and tone his custom job has. You like the feel of your american standard because of its sentiment and it does what you want.

Nah, men thats just not it. I own a squier and it is customized, and I love it but it will never reach certain status of that of an american STD. Of course I love the effort put on my customized guitars, but i prefer the American strat, its much more reliable.
You're probably going to want a wah pedal too if you don't already have one. As far as I know (as far as I can hear, that is) he uses a half-cocked wah on a lot of stuff to get that nasal, mid-heavy tone.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by divinorum69
Im sorry pal, but no.

Wait, what? All of what you mentioned, can be changed. The finish, the setup (duh) , the awesome neck feel etc. can ALL be done after fabrication. Theres only one thing you cant do, and thats change what wood the body is made out of, and then obviously it depends on the skill of the person doing the customization. But with enough time and effort, you could put an awesome finish on a cheap guitar, refret, setup, change hardware, even change the profile of the neck to some degree.
thanks for all the info, i havnt bought the squier yet i was just thinking about it because i wanna get a tele to add to my collection but i was looking for a cheap way, i use a WEM MONITOR REVERB COMBO AMP i think thats what its called anyway, would the better idea be to save for an american std or would a mexican do? i have a wah but im gonna buy a vox 60s ri, an example of the kind of tone i want is dazed and cofused i know that he uses a wah, an octave pedal and obviously a bow but does he use anymore effects? also i didnt know any of his teles had humbuckers all the pictures ive seen there just the normal tele pickups
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Quote by NecroMaster
Wait, what? All of what you mentioned, can be changed. The finish, the setup (duh) , the awesome neck feel etc. can ALL be done after fabrication. Theres only one thing you cant do, and thats change what wood the body is made out of, and then obviously it depends on the skill of the person doing the customization. But with enough time and effort, you could put an awesome finish on a cheap guitar, refret, setup, change hardware, even change the profile of the neck to some degree.

Well of course you can change neck profile, refret, change the finish. Pay someone to leave it very nice, but youll pay more than it is worth for it. But inlays will be cheap plastic squier. The woods will be cheap squier wood forever. And the setup (duh) is not only about truss rod and neck configuration, its also about fret crowning/leveling which in my opinion is very hard to make correctly specially without experience and without the tools needed, it is also very expensive to pay someone do it for you.
Quote by divinorum69
Well of course you can change neck profile, refret, change the finish. Pay someone to leave it very nice, but youll pay more than it is worth for it. But inlays will be cheap plastic squier. The woods will be cheap squier wood forever. And the setup (duh) is not only about truss rod and neck configuration, its also about fret crowning/leveling which in my opinion is very hard to make correctly specially without experience and without the tools needed, it is also very expensive to pay someone do it for you.

My point is that it is possible
Quote by divinorum69
And my point is that it is possible but up to a certain point.

NOw i see what you mean. Sorry about telling you that you're full of yourself. Divinorum does have a point. He started with better Quality raw materials. Any Mods you have done to the squire could be done to better quality wood resulting in a technically better guitar. Hes trying to say that Mod squire might out class a stock fender. But a modded Fender would outclass a mod squire do to its better quality woods.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
I mean, honestly, out of the hundreds of strats I've played, there's only one Strat that I would trade mine for and it came from 1962. I put A LOT of effort and money into that guitar. It was by NO means WHATSOEVER, cheaper than just buying a very nice guitar, but I have a guitar that is all mine. The original wood on it is a relatively decent piece of alder. Not a premium cut by any means, but it's a nice piece. My old teacher was a tech for a while and he did all of the set ups with refretting and blah blah for dirt cheap. I'm telling you, it can be done. I have a very nice PRS guitar as well and I tend to prefer playing my strat to the PRS. If I had put that much money into an American strat I would have about the same guitar in reality. It would have been easier as I wouldn't have had to refinish my neck and completely gut the guitar but the result would have been the same.

And honestly, when it comes down to it, the quality of the wood will hardly be important based on the amp he is going to be playing with. If he were going to play on a clean blackface fender deluxe, he might notice the quality differences in the woods, but not on any amp in the 1000 dollar range.

And now for the point of all of that, some people have made some very good suggestions and I second the other people who have said that a new amp would do you better than any modifications you'll do to your guitar. You could also do some of the mods such as getting some new pups, rewiring with thick wire, getting new pots and such but I would push for putting any money into the amp.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by TechnoLp
NOw i see what you mean. Sorry about telling you that you're full of yourself. Divinorum does have a point. He started with better Quality raw materials. Any Mods you have done to the squire could be done to better quality wood resulting in a technically better guitar. Hes trying to say that Mod squire might out class a stock fender. But a modded Fender would outclass a mod squire do to its better quality woods.

Yes and not only that. The money and effort you need to put for a squier to become competent to an american std, your much probably better getting the american guitar in first place
Quote by divinorum69
Yes and not only that. The money and effort you need to put for a squier to become competent to an american std, your much probably better getting the american guitar in first place

His point is that for the price of an American Standard you can mod a good Squier (yes, decent Squier models do exist) to match or exceed the quality of said American Standard. I'm in the process of modding out my early '90s Squier Affinity Strat. Maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, Alder body. Everything else is new--Gotoh locking tuners, bone nut, new 500k pots, new 5-way switch, new shielding and wiring, new '62 Reissue Fender Strat Trem, new jack, new HH pickguard with a Seymour Duncan JB and a P-Rails, and a professional re-fret.

I still haven't spent the $1,200 I'd need to buy a Fender American Standard Stratocaster from GC. I highly suspect that I will enjoy this guitar far more than any American Standard Strat.

It's rather silly to assume that you couldn't make a great guitar for less than $1.2k. Fender's production costs for an American Standard are no where near that much. That's just how much it gets sold for.
Last edited by Seref at Dec 5, 2009,