I'm pretty much completely new to recording. I've been playing about 18 months and finally decided to recording some of my riffs and ideas. I have a question though...

I use reaper to do my recording. I'm using Guitar Rig 4 as my amp plugin and I'm using pre-recorded drum loops that I got from Groove Monkee (groovemonkee.com). The drum loops are actual audio wav files and not MIDI.

Using Reaper I renedered some of the audio which includes both the guitar and drum parts to a WAV file. However, when I opened up the WAV in Audacity the waveform looks "short" compared to other audio waveforms I've seen. Why is this? The audio I rendered from Reaper sounds good regardless. And even though it looks "short" I found another thing strange. I converted the rendered WAV file to an MP3 to email to a friend and when I ran the MP3 through MP3Gain to normailze it, it lowered the volume 10.1dB. Logically it would seem that since the appearance of the waveform is so short that MP3Gain would want to raise the volume if anything.

Any insight to this is appreciated. Like I said the audio I recorded sounds pretty good, I just don't understand why the waveform looks so short compared to other audio I've seen.

If it matters any, my guitar has passive pickups (Super Distortion/PAF humbuckers). As far as I my signal chain goes, I have my guitar running into an ART Studio MP preamp with around +18dB of gain and then into an M-Audio 2496 sound card.

Thanks.

Here's a pic from inside Audacity. I added a sample of Megadeth's Holy Wars so you can see the difference.:

Here's the audio (No MP3Gain normalization has been applied):
http://www.mediafire.com/?izdymd4nnth
Last edited by Rick540 at Dec 4, 2009,
it lloks like the clip you are comapring it too has been zoomed in signifigantly for one, otherwise I'm not really sure, do the playtimes match up?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I am lost. The length of the wave form has nothing to do with volume.

The height on the other hand does. LEngth of wave form is how long track lasts. Are thoose both waveforms the same song? at same bpm? Thats only way they will line up.

Please descirbe what you are trying to achieve in more detail...

I think you are just confused. The axis across horiztonal is your bar measure. Timeline so to say. Most DAW's are made like this.

As for the conversion. Mp3 is a more compressed file. We all know what happens then...There are many options to consider when you encoded it. This is why wav is better. But this could be reason.
Last edited by nynejoe at Dec 4, 2009,
oh, iif you mean the volume thing, that's because when songs are mastered they are usually compressed a good bit in order to jack the volume up.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I figured out that I had the master fader turned way down when I bounced the project. That's why it turned out that way. I bounced the project again with the fader up and it fixed the problem.