I am able to take 30 minute lessons from Roy Vogt but am not sure if I should. I'm not sure why I'm even thinking about not doing it. I have a teacher now and I would not leave his lessons to take lessons from Roy Vogt but the teacher I have now teaches me everything I really want to learn, I'm not too interested in Tapping and Slapping (I am for the sound, to an extent, but not for the sake of showing off what I can do after sitting in my closet practicing it for 3 years). I'm alot more interested in just the pure finger and style with just a nice chunky groove. My father obviously wants me to take these lessons alot more then I do, when ever I say I'm not sure he freaks out and says its fine while I'm knowing that with him, it really isn't. He also just compared it to having the oppritunity of having Pavoritti teach you to sing but I don't see that much, well, feeling in his playing. I'm not trying to bash techy skills by the way thats just the majority of what I see in Roy Vogt. And my teacher now is pure liquid groove. Please help.

To me it seems forced and rather fake at times..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4bKZRg96SQ
Quote by Double Basser
there is no simple instrument, only simple minds
You want to quit your teacher that teaches you everythign you want to learn adn soudns liek you enjoy, for someone whos famous who si completely different from you? I wouldn't do it, just because someone has a name in the business doesn't mean they're better for you. If you're happy and you seemed to be happy about your current teacher, i'd stay with him.
Try adding more delay.
this is clearly at least as much about your relationship with your father as about bass. It sounds like there is a lot of love on both sides. He is desperate for you to do well and you clearly respect him.

I think the solution to this is to try to put yourself in your dads shoes a bit. that doesn't mean doing everything he says but just trying to understand where he is coming from.

I've got two teenage kids, I can't begin to tell you how much I want to help them succeed and protect them from anything going wrong. You'll never love anyone as much as your own kids but it is hard to let go and love doesn't make you wise, it just makes you care.

I don't know why your dad is so keen on this teacher but I'm sure you'll figure it out. It isn't clear if you can keep your own teacher and just do a few masterclasses with the other guy which would seem like a good compromise. If you are making real progress with your current teacher then losing him doesn't look sensible but does your dad know about the progress you make, reassure him if you can.

You're not in a bad place, you both care about each other and there is a solution somewhere, the only problem is finding it.
It's not that if I take lessons for the other guy I leave my teacher (if i sayed that it was a rlly big typo). It's that I will take lessons from both my current teacher and my new teacher.
Quote by Double Basser
there is no simple instrument, only simple minds
As a parent of two teenagers as well, I have to agree with Phil on this. And you should in a way be thankful for your dilemma. Many of the users on this forum would love to have parents that are that supportive of their musical aspirations.

I have had three bass teachers in so many years and I have to say I have learned something from each and every one. Every teacher is going to bring something to the table in your learning process, even if its not obvious in the onset.
I don't really understand your hate for technical playing but if you can take lessons from Roy and your current teacher I don't see why you wouldn't want to. Nothing wrong with expanding your musical horizons, even if it's not particularly to your tastes.
Quote by anarkee
And you should in a way be thankful for your dilemma. Many of the users on this forum would love to have parents that are that supportive of their musical aspirations.

This.