I posted this in another thread and was told I was get my answers here. I just recently started taking classes for music production and figured I'd try picking up the guitar again. Tried before but had too many distractions but now that I'm choosing it as a career, I really want to put everything into it and learn how to play. First, is there a learning curve between beginning with an acoustic or an electric? Like is it easier to learn one than the other? Second, I'm going to buy a guitar here pretty soon and can't decide between the acoustic or electric. I love the clean, natural acoustic sound and listen to a lot of music that uses it but I am also a big fan of Tool, APC, Coheed, etc...
It's recommended by most that you start on acoustic to learn the basics then move to electric, but since you don't already have an acoustic, buy the electric. If you do have an acoustic then by all means buy the electric.

There is a curve for some, it all depends how much you practice and how.

Start with a metronome, learn scales that help you play what's in your head, you're gonna need some kind of basic understanding of theory. All this can be found here on UG.

BTW you can play clean on a guitar.
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
If you eventually want to do both it really doesn't make a difference which one you start with.

What I recommend against, though, is starting on an electric and then only playing electric- because then you will struggle to play acoustic.

Overall they are both the same, just amplified differently, and when you first start you wont really notice the difference.
I have to agree w/ chainsawguitar on that one - definitely start off on an acoustic. People that start off on an electric are somewhat handicapped when they try to switch and play an acoustic, but the reverse isn't the case at all.

The reason it's better to start off on an acoustic is because:

1) The strings are thicker / greater tension, so your fingers get a much better work out and are properly caloused

2) An acoustic is much cheaper (assuming you don't go for a high-end Martin to start with) - with an electric, you have to also worry about buying an amplifier which leads you into cables, and possible effects, etc. An acoustic is music at it's purest, so start there, and layer onto it later

3) The styles can be very different between acoustic and electric. Obviously it depends on what you're trying to play... but a lot of people that start on the electric begin to rely on the distortion of their amp and don't develop a real skill that translates to the acoustic. A good example is power chords, they sound great when they're really distorted, but sound incredibly wimpy when you hear someone trying to play them on an acoustic.

So anyway, that's my 2 cents worth, hope it's helpful.
Do both, at the same time. You'll find there are things better suited to electrics, and better suited to acoustics. This is the natural order of things.
Gear
Hamer Standard XT
1963 Burns Split Sonic
Boss DD-7 (w/ Tap switch)
BAJA Real Tube Overdrive
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss TU-2
Vox AD50VTXL
I would buy the electric first. You can always play clean, plus you can use the distortion and z"omg met4lz" skillz..

Seriously though, electric will give you a wider range of things to play, then buy an acoustic if you want. I think that it will help you expand your playing later on. I have been playing electric for 7 years, acoustic for about 4 or 5, and I just bought a classical guitar.
Acoustic, Usually a wider neck, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try? You should be good at both if you really want to play the best on either. Just pick one and go with it is my point man. You'll be a pro in no time; I know you can do it if you really try, everyone CAN but, WILL YOU? Go with your heart, you can never go wrong, only make a few mistakes along the way. Gettin what I'm sayin? GO PRO.
Quote by Anthology87
I posted this in another thread and was told I was get my answers here. I just recently started taking classes for music production and figured I'd try picking up the guitar again. Tried before but had too many distractions but now that I'm choosing it as a career, I really want to put everything into it and learn how to play. First, is there a learning curve between beginning with an acoustic or an electric? Like is it easier to learn one than the other? Second, I'm going to buy a guitar here pretty soon and can't decide between the acoustic or electric. I love the clean, natural acoustic sound and listen to a lot of music that uses it but I am also a big fan of Tool, APC, Coheed, etc...

I'd suggest you learn to play it before deciding to make it your career.

There are pros and cons to each. I would say get an acoustic first if you eventually want to play both. This is mainly because you can just pick up the acoustic and play (with a little tuning!) and you can take it pretty much anywhere. Whereas an electric guitar has all the extras (amp, leads, pedals etc.) and although you can play it without amplification, an acoustic will sound better.

If, however, you're into bands like Tool APC etc. and you want to go in that direction, then an electric would be better. So get one of them first.

As you can see, it depends on what you want from your instrument.