Is is harder for someone with small hands to learn guitar, I'm 6'1, wide shouldered and wear 13W shoes but my hands are pretty small does this affect my playing and re certain guitars better for smaller handed people?
i have small hands as well, i'm 6'0 and my girlfriend is 5'6 and our hands are the same size

i love my schecter c-1+ neck but that could be just me
~~~~~~
LTD EC-256 - AGED VINTAGE BLACK
Schecter C-1 Plus - BLACK CHERRY
Peavey 6505+ 112
BOSS NS2
DigiTech Bad Monkey OD
Maxon SD9

~~~~~~
It shouldn't effect your playing significantly. I believe Steve Morse (don't quote me on who it is) has very small hands, but he still plays incredibly well and makes large stretches.

If you feel that you are severely disadvantaged by having small hands, you can always look for guitars with a shorter scale length on the neck - that usually means that the frets are closer together (again, don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works).

In any event, you should be ok. If you have about a one octave reach on a piano (one or two keys short is fine), you should be ok. Some chords might be a little tough and once you get to sweep arpeggios (if you decide to go that way), some of the stretches might require a little extra effort. Other than that, you should be ok.
Yeah it is a factor. I suggest you start using you pinky alot more often.

Edit: electronic guitar, I bet he plugs it into a stereo amp
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
Last edited by RocknRollRay at Dec 4, 2009,
Quote by profmcnasty
thats why guitars have different sized frets ;0

dont get X-jumbo

Frets themselves have little to do with making it easier to play with small hands.

The scale length and neck width and thickness will have an effect. Les Paul type guitars often have a smaller scale length (24.75") than strat type guitars (often 25.5") which makes the distance between frets somewhat smaller. The only problem is that these LP type guitars usually have pretty thick necks being on average more than 21mm thick at the first fret.

I don't know off hand a guitar with a smaller scale and thinner neck, but after playing guitar a while your hands will get used to it somewhat. I think Marshall Harrison has a custom 3/4 scale guitar but he still plays fine (very well) with a normal scale size guitar.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
You'd be surprised how many people worry that their hand are too big for the guitar!

Bottom line is, particularly in he early stages, you are making a lot of motions with your hands and fingers that you've never made before, and for that reason, they feel very awkward. Has nothing to do with the size of your hands.
Quote by bagpipemetal
Is is harder for someone with small hands to learn guitar, I'm 6'1, wide shouldered and wear 13W shoes but my hands are pretty small does this affect my playing and re certain guitars better for smaller handed people?

I'm amazed at how many people try to use that as an excuse! No, hand size really doesn't affect playing potential. I have small hands myself and I've never had a problem. It's a bit like asking if your ears are too small to hear properly
Quote by profmcnasty
thats why guitars have different sized frets ;0

dont get X-jumbo

No, just no... Extra jumbo frets simply mean that the fret wire is thicker and higher.

I have incredibly small hands and I don't have any problems playing so go for it
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by chrisweyers
You'd be surprised how many people worry that their hand are too big for the guitar!

Bottom line is, particularly in he early stages, you are making a lot of motions with your hands and fingers that you've never made before, and for that reason, they feel very awkward. Has nothing to do with the size of your hands.

at last...a voice of reason!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
My next door neighbour seems to manage ok with her small hands - she's 9.
Not sure on the scale of the neck, but my Ibanez wizard neck is perfect for my TINY hands as it has a small neck thickness, and the distance between the frets are smaller than other guitars I've played.

Hope this helps!
Say no to drugs, but drink is good...
^Yeah, if you've got seriously very small hands a guitar with a thinner neck might help.

Other than that, unless your hands are exceptionally small, then it's not going to affect your playing negatively. Check out Shawn Lane and Michael Romeo. Both had/have smaller than average hands, and get around the fretboard quite nicely (understatement of the year!).
I don't think it will affect me much I was just wondering, also I prefer starts so les pauls since the necks are thinner and easier to grip.
Quote by zhilla
My next door neighbour seems to manage ok with her small hands - she's 9.

Epic Win