hey all,
i have a custom wired axe (HH with 3 way toggle, 2 vol, 1 tone)

i have both pickups running simultaniously all the time
the toggle switch selects them running in series, coil tapped or in parallel.

my issue is, i am upgrading from passive to active pickups that cannot be coil tapped...aside from series or parrallel, how else can can i run active pups to take up the 3rd postion of my selector switch?
thats all i could think to do also, but i didnt really wanna resort to that. i hopeing there was another way to run taht i had over looked
Quote by pizzathrash
hey all,
i have a custom wired axe (HH with 3 way toggle, 2 vol, 1 tone)

i have both pickups running simultaniously all the time
the toggle switch selects them running in series, coil tapped or in parallel.

my issue is, i am upgrading from passive to active pickups that cannot be coil tapped...aside from series or parrallel, how else can can i run active pups to take up the 3rd postion of my selector switch?
not likely. that takes more poles than most 3-ways have.
post a diagram of your wiring. if the switch you have is that capable, there may be some interesting things that could be done with your actives. state which brand and model you plan to use.

Quote by Bigsteve92
some of the new EMG's can be tapped
not in the traditional sense, no.

emg 89 and 81 tw have a separate preamp for the standard HB mode and the "single" mode that uses one sensing coil and a dummy coil. But this requires both selecting the which preamp and also diverting the connection for one of the sensing coils to the selected preamp. this is more complicated than a common splitting of a passive HB.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
yes, i am actually pretty sure i am getting the new emg 81tw but you access the single coil setting from a push pull pot, not toggle, so either way i sstill have an unused postion on the toggle
emg 81x is going in the bridge, right now i have stock passive duncans in it, and a dpdt on/on/on switch. i told my repair guy what i wanted to do, so he ordered the switch for me, i dont know if its special or not but it was not redickulously expensive
heres the diagram i used
Quote by pizzathrash
yes, i am actually pretty sure i am getting the new emg 81tw but you access the single coil setting from a push pull pot, not toggle, so either way i sstill have an unused postion on the toggle
emg 81x is going in the bridge, right now i have stock passive duncans in it, and a dpdt on/on/on switch. i told my repair guy what i wanted to do, so he ordered the switch for me, i dont know if its special or not but it was not redickulously expensive
heres the diagram i used
That shows wiring for one pickup. What did you do about the other? Does the switch you used have 6 contacts, as shown? Or does your switch have 12 contacts?

You'll be using the TW at the bridge. What will you use at the neck?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
the 81 tw is going to go in the neck. 81x to the bridge.
i did not wire this myself, im not sure if the switch is upgraded, what kind of switch/switch upgrades do you recommend? what other ways are there to run these kind of active pickups? or am i barking up the wrong tree and should just use the 3rd position as killswitch?
Last edited by pizzathrash at Dec 16, 2009,