Well my AC30 really isn't working out anymore so I'm looking for a new amp. I can't name any particular bands or musicians as an example of the sound I want but i do want fender-y cleans, a dry high gain distortion and the ability to take pedals well. Price is no object as long as I get the perfect amp. Basically I'm looking for a list of amps to try out when I get the chance to check some good music shops in the new year.

So far I've tried the Diezel Herbert and VH4. The VH4 won hands down. What other options are there? What are Soldano and ENGL amps like? I can get a Soldano Lucky 13 cheapish but I'd have to dedicate an afternoon to go and try it out.
Edit: I've also liked the look of Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifiers

My other equipment is:
Vintage Fender Stratocaster
Vintage RI Fender Stratocaster
Custom HSS Fender Esquire w/bigsby

RMC Wizard Wah
Digitech Whammy II
Radial Tonebone Classic
MXR EVH Phase 90
Line 6 FM-4
Digitech TimeBender
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Last edited by HeavyReverb at Dec 4, 2009,
I'd say the boogie's are a good choice, maybe try a custom audio OD100? Just go to a mucis store and try EVERYTHING, it's fun and it'd be an easy way to find what you like. Bring your own guitar though.
The selection in music shops in Ireland is shit so I'll be going abroad to try these amps out. I want to make a list of 20-30 possible amps so I can go hunt them down and try them out rather than wandering into any old shop and end up with the best of a bad lot.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
Laney's in general I suppose. Their cleans are good, they have some nice distortion that can be tightened up proper, and they built solidly.

Also, you could consider AB-ing, if price really is no issue. Get, say a Fender Twin 100W and pair it with a Engl Powerball 100W.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

How would I use the effects loop on both amps together if i was A/Bing? I would need to use delay for both my clean and dirty and that would have to be in the effects loop of at least the dirty amp
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
I've never done this but can you put the delay pedal before the ABY switch and run your delay up front? That is what I do. Otherwise, you would need a switching system. Off the top of my head Radial might make something that is cost effective. 'Bone' series.

Not sure really

Otherwise, wouldn't each effects loop be its own loop?
Yeah but if i'm using the amps distortion with the delay before the amp it would sound shit. Time based-effects (delay/reverb) only seem to sound good through an effects loop unless the amp is clean. To save myself from an overly complicated rig I would rather have just one amp with great cleans and distortion.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
I only wanted one amp to begin with. Weeping Demon7 suggested getting 2 and ABing them which would complicate my pedalboard. I would prefer having only one amp
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
OK. yep

Well. Diezel, Soldano, Engl and Mesa all sound different so you need to hone in a bit more.

what do you play the majority of time?
what do you NEED to play 10 - 20% of time?
fender cleans in a high gain amp is not that easy which is why I ask.

Some of the amps I mentioned before will come close along with the 5153. what is your budget again realistically?

I've not played any Diezels or Engls
My style is very original and the tone i want isnt anything that ive heard before (except in my head). I'm aware that i will almost definitely be paying a lot for an amp with great cleans and a top-quality dry high gain distortion.

The best way to describe what i play is sparkly and melodic celtic/classical music interspersed with driven and energertic prog/experimenal rock
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
I can't speak to the Titans cleans but the gain is unworldly.

Here is a Splawn Pro Mod for variance:

http://splawnguitars.com/splawnbtjam.mp3

http://splawnguitars.com/splawncleanzack.mp3

Take a look at the amps I've mentioned so far...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
what is your budget again realistically?

sorry i didnt see this. i would rather not spend more than €3000 but if i think the amp is worth it i might.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the AC30? I'm considering getting one soon.
coincidentally, the AC30 matches that description pretty well lol.

You may also like a Marshall 1987x. the cleans are not as good as fender's but they are very sweet and glassy for a Marshall. the overdrive is as usual, spectacular.

or even a 1959slp if you've got a good Attenuator. (this one will cost you through the nose for a good one though)
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 7, 2009,
The AC30 doesnt have enough gain for me and doesnt take pedals well. I also think it sounds muddy at higher volumes (its not the valves)
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr