I am looking for an amp to play an electric acoustic through. This is going to be for home use only. I am looking to spend around $300, but can spend more if needed. I am noticing that most amps designed for acoustic are solid state. Is there a reason for this? For all else I feel a tube is superior. There is a used Fender Acoustasonic at a local store I was going to check out.
Ihor

<current gear>
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Boss NS-2, TU-2, MT-2, DS-1, SD-1
cos you dont want distortion, most amps that are designed to be clean are solid state. like amps in cars, home theaters, etc
Ok that makes sense.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
# Are you more interested in hearing every note in a chord or individual notes picked? If your more interested in playing rich chords, the acoustic amplifier might be the right fit for you. If you are more interested in picking singular notes and bending them, an electric amp may be the best fit.
# Think about the type of songs you like to play. Even better, think about the environments you play in. If you are more prone to playing slower folk songs in your living room or even in a coffee house, acoustic is the way to go. If you like faster hard rock music and dream of playing large crowds, getting an electric amp may save you money in the future.
*ahem* wrong forum little buddy. There's a reason we have an Acoustic & Classical forum.

Acoustic amps are solid state because really acoustic amps are just glorified mini-PAs. They're meant to color your tone as little as is humanly possible. Having tubes means you run the risk of overdrive, and you don't want that. Can you say feedback?

You don't need an acoustic amp for home play. I'm really not sure where you get that idea from, unless of course you plan on running it through effects. Personally, I wouldn't, but to each his own, right? And please, please, do NOT run it through an electric amp. It won't sound bad, per se, but it won't sound as good as an acoustic through an acoustic amp. Acoustics and electrics are totally different beasts as far as guitars go IMO, and should be treated as such.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
This is going to be for my girlfriend. She plays music like 3 Doors Down, Blue October,Royal Bliss, some Beatles.etc. She likes rock but if there is an acoustic version of a rock song she usually prefers that.She likes strumming patterns and arpegios.I tried playing her guitar through my vypyr and it sounded just like an electric played clean, which is not what she wants. I personally play rythym with a lot of bar chords and heavy distortion, so this is a completely new thing for me and I don't know what to look for.We only play at home. No plans for gigging.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
if your only playing at home i wouldnt bother with an acoustic amp, unless you really want to be loud.
another thing to consider is how much more difficult it is to eq acoutic amps compared to normal amps.
you get some interesting sounds using effects with acoustic amps. i use a wah, distortion pedal, and phaser to get some trippy sounds.
does she also sing?

i spent a lot of time messing around with acoustic amps.

i feel so much better now that i finally bought a PA and am done with it.

PA systems can be had for about as much as acoustic amps, and are so much more useful, imo.

lastly, like said, many electric amps work really nicely with acoustics.
are a heck of a lot cheaper, and again, more versatile.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Used Roland AC-60
Used Fender Acoustisonic Jr.

Both should be around $300 or less, have some effects, and you can plug a mic in directly as well as an acoustic electric guitar.

If you don't need effects, as jj1565 states a small PA would work well. (or you could use a pedal between the guitar and pa for effects if desired).
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Natrone
*ahem* wrong forum little buddy. There's a reason we have an Acoustic & Classical forum.

Well some Acoustic guitars are "TECHNICALLY" electric guitars
I can understand why some will post this kind of thing in here

back to topic, what kind of preamp is on your guitar?
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab
Quote by xDarrellx87x
Well some Acoustic guitars are "TECHNICALLY" electric guitars
I can understand why some will post this kind of thing in here

back to topic, what kind of preamp is on your guitar?

I tried posting this in the acoustic section and didn't get much response. I think I also ready something like "no amps allowed" in the acoustic section subtitle.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Quote by jj1565
does she also sing?

i spent a lot of time messing around with acoustic amps.

i feel so much better now that i finally bought a PA and am done with it.

PA systems can be had for about as much as acoustic amps, and are so much more useful, imo.

lastly, like said, many electric amps work really nicely with acoustics.
are a heck of a lot cheaper, and again, more versatile.

Yes she sings, but still has trouble singing and playing at the same time.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Quote by gregs1020
Used Roland AC-60
Used Fender Acoustisonic Jr.

Both should be around $300 or less, have some effects, and you can plug a mic in directly as well as an acoustic electric guitar.

If you don't need effects, as jj1565 states a small PA would work well. (or you could use a pedal between the guitar and pa for effects if desired).

I found a few used Acoustisonics in the area that I plan to check out.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Quote by silver93t
Yes she sings, but still has trouble singing and playing at the same time.

i'd go with a small PA system.

as she get's better, she's going to be able to do both.

i've had, have a bunch of acoustic amps.

they are fine, but i'm telling you, not versatile enough to be practical at these prices.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
There is a Fender Acoustasonic for under $300 locally
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Quote by silver93t
There is a Fender Acoustasonic for under $300 locally

check it out. I'm not sure exactly how cheap you can find a small PA, but that's a decent price on the acoustasonic. Go test it, try everything to be sure it's working properly.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I picked up the Acoustasonic for $249. Has a 30 day guarantee. Its the newer 30 watt model with effects. I messed around with it a bit and it sounds pretty clean. Not very powerful, but then again I'm used to an electric amp. I think my girlfriend will be pretty happy with it.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40