Page 1 of 3
What's the best way to learn this riff up to tempo?
The actual tempo is 180.

PM PM PM                                   
  |--3--|   |---3--|   |---3--|   |---3--|   
  E  E  E   E  E   E   E   E  E   E   E  E   
--------------------------------------------|
----------------------12--10--9-------------|
-----------10--9--10-------------12--10--9--|
--0--0--0-----------------------------------|

PM  PM PM        PM       PM       
   |---3--|   |--3--|  |--3--|        
   E   E  E   E  E  E  E  E  E  Q     
-------------------------------------|
-------------10--9-----9--7-----6----|
--12--10--8---------7--------7-------| 

I'm getting incredibly pissed off.
Yesterday I could play it decently at a tempo 140 (which is still horrible)

Now today when I try to do it I can't even play it clean at damn 120. I'm getting aggravated.

This happens every time I try to learn something like this, or try to learn how to pick faster.
My picking hand can never keep up.

What should I do?
You will never get it up to speed by being pissed off.
You should practice the style of picking that's weak, and strengthen the muscles as fast as you can do it cleanly.
Just sit down in a positive mindframe and practice cleanly and relaxed. Burst every now and then, go way higher for a minute then come back down.
Last edited by tenfold at Dec 4, 2009,
i agree, getting frustrated just makes it worse

go throw some rocks at something, and then relax and keep practicing
Quote by turbopuke
i agree, getting frustrated just makes it worse

go throw some rocks at something, and then relax and keep practicing

I'd much rather throw the guitar

Anyways, can someone tell me how the would pick the riff? (up and down pick for which notes?)
use a metrenome and play it at maybee 100 and wen u get it in time with 100 move it up to 105 and build up temp till u get to ur max and then do it again do that every day and u will be able to do it in a week or so cleanly
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by selkies
use a metrenome and play it at maybee 100 and wen u get it in time with 100 move it up to 105 and build up temp till u get to ur max and then do it again do that every day and u will be able to do it in a week or so cleanly

Like I said, I did 120 perfectly fine yesterday. I got up to 140 decently. Today I can't even play it well at 120.
i go through the same thing playing really funky basslines

Sometimes it helps to just play something completely different for a day or two. Then coming back to it, your brain has had time to understand what you just taught it to do.

Does that make any sense?
do you warmup before playing? im one of those people who is sloppy as hell for about an hour. So warmup before you get pissy. YOu could economy pick that or alt pick it. If its supposed to played very cleanly Alt is the way to go
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
hey man, everyone has their off days. keep practicing, start slow, work your way up. it might take a couple months but in the end you will be able to play like a champ.
Also, make sure you aren't pressing down too hard on the strings. you only need to press them down far enough to contact the fret. I've seen a few ppl slow themselves down because they spend too much effort pressing down and not enough moving around. Provided your guitar is set up right and the action isn't too high you should be able to fly.
Quote by adam561
I'd much rather throw the guitar

Anyways, can someone tell me how the would pick the riff? (up and down pick for which notes?)

PM PM PM                                   
  |--3--|   |---3--|   |---3--|   |---3--|   
  E  E  E   E  E   E   E   E  E   E   E  E   
----------------------12--10--9-------------|
-----------10--9--10-------------12--10--9--|
--0--0--0-----------------------------------|
  d  u  d   d  u  d   d   u   d  u   d   u

u   d  u   d  u  u  d  u  u  d

Here's how I would recommend you pick it. This is called directional (a.k.a. economy) picking and it is the most efficient, and therefore fastest, method of picking [WARNING: angry alt-picking enthusiasts incoming! ]

Other than that, just like the others said, take it slow and build up those efficient motions into your muscle memory
For the picking, does it have to be accurate, or just what comes normally to me?

I mean, there are some notes in a row that I might play 2 down strokes for. Will this screw me up when I start raising the tempo?

Anyways, I can't really tell if I'm alt. picking or economy picking.. I know I'm doing one or the other

EDIT: ^^^ thanks

I always end up using down strokes for all notes on the A string at this part, and it's screwing me up!
Last edited by adam561 at Dec 5, 2009,
Quote by adam561
For the picking, does it have to be accurate, or just what comes normally to me?

What kind of questions is that? Of course it has to be accurate.
Also, get a metronome and start it REALLY slow and don't speed up until you can play it 100% clean slowly.
Quote by pwrmax
Also, get a metronome and start it REALLY slow and don't speed up until you can play it 100% clean slowly.

+1000!!!!
Quote by yearzero
What kind of questions is that? Of course it has to be accurate.

That's not the I meant it hahah
I meant if I economy picked it, but it's meant to be alternate pick, does it make a difference?
Quote by adam561
That's not the I meant it hahah
I meant if I economy picked it, but it's meant to be alternate pick, does it make a difference?

Not really, as long as you can play it in time and it sounds good then use whichever way is easier.
Quote by pwrmax
Not really, as long as you can play it in time and it sounds good then use whichever way is easier.

Alright, thanks
It sounds like you are working on building the speed up before working the kinks out. Playing as fast as you can is not the best way to get kinks out of your playing. Slow it right down, get the picking worked out, build up a bit of muscle memory, then start increasing the speed after that.
Well I imported it into GP5 and put the tempo at 180, and it seems like it should be alt picked. The first 3 open PM notes could possibly be downpicked but I don't know the song so I'd advise alternate picking it.
Stick the metronome on 100, and do a triplet each beat. Get it down relaxed, smooth, in-time, then bump it up like 8, repeat.
Aren't you supposed to palm mute the open low E?
Anyways it looks ok from what I can see. Be sure to warm up properly (slowly; the goal of a warmup is NOT to play fast. Check out Video #2 here), and practice slowly until you can do it while talking. When you can do that, speed it up.
Quote by tenfold
Aren't you supposed to palm mute the open low E?
Anyways it looks ok from what I can see. Be sure to warm up properly (slowly; the goal of a warmup is NOT to play fast. Check out Video #2 here), and practice slowly until you can do it while talking. When you can do that, speed it up.

Yeah, that's another question. Since everything on the E is palm muted, should I jsut keep it palm muted the whole time?
No. You lift up when you move to other strings.

Btw what song is this? I want to hear the original, and even try playing it myself but I will have to play on my acoustic because my electric is in C Standard.
Quote by tenfold
Yes you lift it away outwards from the bridge. If you can't, you're probably anchoring. Learn to play without your hand on the bridge.

I don't know what anchoring is, and I thought it was all personal preference?

From the video does it look like I'm anchoring?
Yes, it sort of does. It's hard to tell from the video because you don't anchor with your pinky, you anchor with your wrist which is hard to tell from the video how hard you press down with it.
Like I said try playing without your wrist touching the bridge to get used to that feeling.
Quote by tenfold
Yes, it sort of does. It's hard to tell from the video because you don't anchor with your pinky, you anchor with your wrist which is hard to tell from the video how hard you press down with it.
Like I said try playing without your wrist touching the bridge to get used to that feeling.

Fuck seriously? This is like the third time I've had to completely change the way I play.

I played for nearly 2 years holding a pick incorrectly. It was annoying, hard, and took forever to fix.

Now after almost 4 years, I realize what anchoring means, and that I do it.

I quit, damnit.
Come on, dude. Don't quit now. You can still do great things with your talent. Just keep moving forward. Every one goes through this once in a while especially while playing guitar. Are you using alternate picking?
Quote by tbfender93
Come on, dude. Don't quit now. You can still do great things with your talent. Just keep moving forward. Every one goes through this once in a while especially while playing guitar. Are you using alternate picking?

Yeah watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7ExhURRxY4

Anyways. Shit, so what do I need to fix and how do I fix it, based on that video?
You're not anchoring.

It's good to keep your palm on the bridge so you can mute the strings that you can't with your left hand. Just don't be pushing your hand into the bridge, if it's just resting, that's okay.

Just make sure when you pick you're not really tensed up.
Last edited by Dregen at Dec 5, 2009,
Quote by Dregen
You're not anchoring.

It's good to keep your palm on the bridge so you can mute the strings that you can't with your left hand. Just don't be pushing your hand into the bridge, if it's just resting, that's okay.

Just make sure when you pick you're not really tensed up.

So, still, I should lift my hand up after each palm mute, even if all palm mutes are on the low E?

And is it normal that I play lead resting my palm, but for strumming I lift my hand completely off?
Quote by adam561
So, still, I should lift my hand up after each palm mute, even if all palm mutes are on the low E?

No, I wouldn't. If you lifted your hand up, your low E string would ring out. Not just because the riff is pretty fast, but also because once you get on the D string (the 4th string) it would be impossible to mute the low E with the fretting hand.

And is it normal that I play lead resting my palm, but for strumming I lift my hand completely off?

Yes.

Also, I read some posts earlier that your picking technique was wrong? What exactly were you try to do? I know that you've already changed your technique, but I'm just letting you know that picking style isn't always an all for one and one for all kind of thing. It's okay if you pick open handed or close handed. I often switch between open and close handed when playing different kinds of riffs (closed for lead, open for fast rhythms).
Last edited by Dregen at Dec 6, 2009,
This is probably unwanted advice, but I've been playing a long time(35 years), and I hit a wall in my twenties. I could think it, but I couldn't get my fingers to do it(I was playing many hours/week). I understand the frustration. I'm not going to tell you to stop trying, but to understand that there may be a true physical limitation to how fast you can play. I could never run 100 meters under 10 seconds either, and believe me, no amount of training, or steroids would change that. Keep at it, but don't let how fast you can play define you as a guitarist. Speed is just one element of playing well. Like anything, you need to accentuate what you do well, and minimize your weaknesses. I don't think there is a guitarist, dead or alive, who could do everything.
Quote by Dregen
No, I wouldn't. If you lifted your hand up, your low E string would ring out. Not just because the riff is pretty fast, but also because once you get on the D string (the 4th string) it would be impossible to mute the low E with the fretting hand.

Yes.

Also, I read some posts earlier that your picking technique was wrong? What exactly were you try to do? I know that you've already changed your technique, but I'm just letting you know that picking style isn't always an all for one and one for all kind of thing. It's okay if you pick open handed or close handed. I often switch between open and close handed when playing different kinds of riffs (closed for lead, open for fast rhythms).

So, in my situation, I should just keep the E string Palm muted throughout?

What if I hand to play it with out a palm mute, would I just move my hand?

EDIT: ^^^^^^
Thanks so the best solution is to not try?
Last edited by adam561 at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by chokmool
This is probably unwanted advice, but I've been playing a long time(35 years), and I hit a wall in my twenties. I could think it, but I couldn't get my fingers to do it(I was playing many hours/week). I understand the frustration. I'm not going to tell you to stop trying, but to understand that there may be a true physical limitation to how fast you can play. I could never run 100 meters under 10 seconds either, and believe me, no amount of training, or steroids would change that. Keep at it, but don't let how fast you can play define you as a guitarist. Speed is just one element of playing well. Like anything, you need to accentuate what you do well, and minimize your weaknesses. I don't think there is a guitarist, dead or alive, who could do everything.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I think you're wrong.

When I started running track last season, I ran my 800's in 2:45 to 2:50. That's really bad.

By the end of the season I was running 2:15's, though that's still not amazing by any means. How? Lots, and lots, and LOTS of hard work and determination. Some days after a very hard practice where we ran 2 to 3 miles worth of sprints I would still make myself run again when I got home, usually over 5 miles. It was a bitch, but it was worth it when I made it to state that same year.

My point? You can do anything. But you need to be determined, you need to put in the work, and most of all, you need to be motivated. Find something that motivates you. Yes, his fast playing is a little weak, but if he keeps working at it, he will achieve his goals. And just think, if you can play slow and fast, what kind of different things you can create.

Some people say to never set your goals too high, I say bullshit. I might just become that person that can do everything, if I work at it.

EDIT: Reading through your post again, I'll agree with you not to let speed define you. Once you gain that speed, don't force it, just let your own playing style adapt to the new skill, if that makes any sense.
Last edited by Dregen at Dec 6, 2009,
Page 1 of 3