I've had a 120 watt Spider 3 for about two years now, and i started hating it about 6 months ago when i joined a band. The gain sounds like shit. I'm justf having a modeling amp. I was looking to trade it in (and using some of my own money) for this.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-FlexWave-Series-FW65-65W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-481058-i1175927.gc

I play a lot of metal and hardcore, like August Burns Red, Lamb of God, The Devil Wears Prada, and Mudvayne. Obviously, some good and heavy distortion is a must. I mostly use a PRS SE Singlecut. Sometimes I'll bring out my Ibanez RG though.

Does this seem like a good deal?
Last edited by kornfire15 at Dec 5, 2009,
crate sucks dude! dont go there---

Originally Posted by anonymus
I voted "evolutionism", though. Cuz you know... it's sciencey.

Originally Posted by anonymus
We were all created by God...
As Monkeys...
Then evolved.
End Debate.
I'll bet that the tone changes will be evident, but I doubt that it will be enough to wow you. Have you played the crate? I understand the need to change up from the spider, Ive done it, as many others have. I still have mine though. The MP3 input and headphones make it a great late night practice amp, firing up the 515o can get loud, but I can play with the post gain on .5 too, but options are good.

If you like it, go for it. I dont think that it will be much of an upgrade. Not that I want to be an elitist and tell you not to get something, but for 299, you can get a used HT-5 and youd be one happy man tone wise, functionality, well thats another thing.

Heres some questions...

How many Channels do you need?

Whats the top end budget? - (Understand that you may not get more than $75-$100 on the high end of a GC trade)

Do you use/want to use pedals?

Combo man / Stack man?

Gigging with this guy? Home Practice player?

should help with your search for a great metal amp.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
well now i know haha. thanks guys. any recomendations at around 300-400 price range?
i only need like 2 channels. i like back to basic stuff, which is kind of redundant saying i bought a spider 3. i prefer combos and i do plan on gigging.
Quote by kornfire15
well now i know haha. thanks guys. any recomendations at around 300-400 price range?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bugera-V22-22W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=502583

If you use this with an OD pedal like a Metal Muff or something, you can get some pretty heavy tones.

Plus 22 watts is fine because you can just use a PA.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

hell i would just save a little more and get the peavey valveking 112 ... 65 watt tube amp and i think it sounds hella good for stock.. and u can always upgrade the speaker and tubes down the road.. this is on my wish list..
GETCHA PULL MUTHAFUKA!!
Check out the Randall RG75 G3+, they're on musiciansfriend.com for just under $300. I plan on buying one for myself with my holiday cash. Great metal tone on it's own, simple two channel design.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Dec 5, 2009,