Ok, so here's the deal:

I went to my friends house the other day and I was asking him about home recording and reccomendations for recording software. He said he already had one and that he would show me. It turns out it was pretty simple and easy to use. He used the free recording software "Audacity" and plugged a mic into his computer and put the mic end near his amp and just played. When he played it back it sounded really good (in my opinion, but what do I know?)

So when I went back to my place, I found my brothers mic (dynamic) and my dad ordered this thing for me like an adapter because the mic's jack was too big. When I get it, I'm going to try out my 30 day demo of reaper I have, and if I like it, buy it. Then stick my amp next to the mic and play some tunes and see what it sounds like.

So my questions (finally) are: Is this a good way to record? Is Reaper worth buying? And is Audacity decent for recording if all else fails? Please answer these questions quickly.
---Gear---

BC Rich Virgo
My first guitar (some crap ibanez? Dad never told me what model...)
Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt
Marshall MG 15 Watt
Boss DS-1 Pedal

Really want Mick Thomson's Signature Ibanez MTM1...
Reaper is decent daw.
There are betters out there. But get used to recording overall before diving into the more complex sotwares. Which are hard on pocket. When recorind with a mic infront of amp. It really all depends what amp you have, the mic etc.. Especially if its fed intoa generic sound card. I reccommend anything with ASIO drivers. Or at least install asio4all drivers on your soundcard.

What alot of people do, is buy an interface or usb sound card. As for buying...I reccomend trying demos before buying a software. This is up to the end user really. A matter of choice, and comfortability.
Yeah that should be an ok way to record for average quality, Audacity is use-able for recording i guess, if youre strained for other options..

And you can always download a pirated version of Reaper if you're into that =)
nynejoe: As for the amp I have, I have a Peavey Vypyr 75 and it's beautiful. I'm not sure if thats good for recording though because this is my first time recording... and with my microphone, it was the only one we had in the house so don't judge me... I think its a lenoxx MC1000 it came with my little brothers little karaoke stereo thing... DON"T JUDGE ME!!!

kennykenny: Haha no, kennykenny, I think I'll just buy it if I like it. My Peavey Vypyr 75 came with a disc of a 30 day demo of it so I just have to check it out now.
---Gear---

BC Rich Virgo
Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt
Marshall MG 15 Watt
Boss DS-1 Pedal

Reaper never STOPS working after the 30 days - just has a short nag dialog when it starts up... but it's well worth the price.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
Reaper never STOPS working after the 30 days - just has a short nag dialog when it starts up... but it's well worth the price.

Wow are you serious?! That is so mad... I am off to look at my demo now, so I'll post again to let you know what I think.
---Gear---

BC Rich Virgo
Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt
Marshall MG 15 Watt
Boss DS-1 Pedal

I've been using it for well more than 30 days... but it's really quality - I intend to buy it right after the holidays as I do believe in supporting developers who produce QUALITY software.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!