Hey everyone.

I've been using a Line 6 Spider III for almost year now, and I like that it has built in effects, but I want to upgrade to a better amp, probably a Peavey 6505+ and I was wondering if you can use a multi-effects pedal in the effects loop the same way you would a delay pedal or something simlar. I'm also looking for recommendations on an affordable multi-effects pedal that would have good delay with tap tempo, and a wah pedal.

I play mostly metal, and my main guitar is an Ibanez RGA32 with EMG 81/85 If you have any suggestions, please let me know, thanks!
Yeah, you can definitely do that. I use my me70 just for its 2 delays in the loop of my HRD, also has tap tempo.

The boss GT10 and line6 X3 live instantly come to mind in terms of decent multis, but i've also heard good things about the vox tonelab. Not too sure about tap tempo.

Any reason you'd prefer a multi over single pedals?
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
I am a complete noob to anything that involves effects pedals or rack mounted setups, if you guys could explain the advantages of them that would be awesome. The reason why I want a multi effects pedal is mainly because I want the most bang for my buck, but I also want to carry around as little as possible. My primary effect would be delay, but I also like wah. I want a multi-effects unit also to experiment without going out and spending an arm and a leg on a new pedal.

EDIT: I'd also like to use the amp's distortion, is there a way to bypass the distortion from a multi-effects pedal and just use the effects?

EDIT 2: I'm also considering getting a Vetta II, as I hear they are great amps with a lot of built in features, anyone know how the amp models of the ENGL Powerball, the Peavey 5150 II, or the Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier sound on the Vetta?
Last edited by CerebralEdge at Dec 5, 2009,
There's a thing called the 4 cable method, and you can place things like wahs and compressors in front of the amp, and delays and modulations in the effects loop. Though i think only the higher end multis have that functionality. Also, you can just turn off any distortion or amp models.

Rack isn't really that daunting either. TC Gmajor = win.

Generally, single pedals and racks will give a higher quality sound than multis and have more tweakability per effect, however, they are much more expensive.

Multis have a lot of stuff on board, and is cheaper than buying all those effects serperately. Good for experimenting with effects and sounds, but overall (depending on your ear, you might like them) don't give as nice of a sound as standalone pedals or racks.

Edit: Vettas are bloody awesome modelling amps. Go for it if you play a really diverse range of stuff.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
Last edited by Ratfish at Dec 5, 2009,
vetta II sounds like a good move for you to me...

(1) sounds pretty damn good for a modeler.
(2) has enough features to spare your wallet down the road.
(3) you can get 'em for a fair price used, and you can usually get your money back out of them when you're ready to upgrade.

the models do a good job of sampling whatever it is they're trying to emulate, but the dynamics really aren't there. small price to ay if diversity and versatility is your thing. case and point, it won't sound like a triple rec the same way a triple rec will sound like a triple rec, but it'll sound like a twin better than a triple rec will sound like a twin. make sense?
if its the 6505 tone your after, I cant see how you might get that from a vetta... personally they sound like bees in a jar to me (Vetta)

the boss gt10 will switch the channel on the 6505 (or any amp) and do all your effects very well. Mine is very very useful.

good luck

G
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
I didn't read to thoroughly so apologies if this has been mentioned:

You can run a MFX pedal into the return of the amp, which means you are using the pedal as a pre-amp and the amp just for its power amp. If you have a nice modeler this can be a decent option to get different voicings.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Ratfish
TC Gmajor = win.

This.

You can get the Gmajor 1 for dirt cheap because everybody is after the Gmajor 2. And if you don't need a computer interface, and you already have a wah pedal like I do...it was perfect. I got mine used for around $150 plus shipping. Love that thing. Its easy to use and setup.
I read somewhere that the Vetta II was updated to include a harmonizer, anyone know anything about this, because if it has it, that sells it for me.
Quote by CerebralEdge
I read somewhere that the Vetta II was updated to include a harmonizer, anyone know anything about this, because if it has it, that sells it for me.

have you played through a vetta? if so what did you think?

I loved the original flextone (owned one) and my friend plays the hd147, which I also like, but to me the vetta does not sound good.
No, I haven't but a local music shop stocks them, so i'm gonna try one out next time i'm there.
let me know what you think of the vetta once youve tried it cerebral ;-)