Hey guys, I have a Schecter Tempest and I was thinking about replacing the Duncans with some EMG actives. Has anyone done this? Is it possible? If so, what would it entail and which EMGs should I use? Should I go 81/85 or 60/81 setup. I play mainly metal....the dirtier the better.
Gear:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR (black cherry)
Schecter Tempest Custom (white)
Amps:
Line6 Bogner Spider Valve 112
Line6 Spider III 75
Pedals:
Dime Crybaby
If you like the tone of your Hellraiser C-1 and it has the stock pickups, go for it
I prefer low gain passives in my Tempest though. Low gain passives actually sound surprisingly good through a high-gain amp if you adjust your EQ accordingly, plus you get a lot better clean.
Tons of good deals on Harmony Central and Sevenstring.org.
in my opinion...

active pups aren't all that good.
dont believe the hype.

if you want tone, go passive.
Quote by nick nitro
in my opinion...

active pups aren't all that good.
dont believe the hype.

if you want tone, go passive.

he plays mainly metal, he wants a dirty tone, what will passive pickups do for him? Why put all the effort into making passives sound like actives when you can just get actives?

@TS, either set works fine, but the EMG 60 supposedly has nicer or at least sparklier cleans, but I would suggest you perform the 18V mod to give you extra headroom anyway, so it's really an either-or - it's a matter of personal preference. If you like the cleans used by Metallica, then go for the 81/60, and if you like cleans used by the likes of, for example, Zakk Wylde, then go for the 81/85.
Quote by kenan6346
he plays mainly metal, he wants a dirty tone, what will passive pickups do for him? Why put all the effort into making passives sound like actives when you can just get actives?

Actually, I find that passive pickups have a dirtier tone than active pups. Whenever I've played active pickups they sound sterile and fuzzy.

If you want an aggressive and dirty tone you could look at some BKP Painkiller, Nailbomb or Warpigs. However, those are some very expensive pickups. I have looked at what Seymour Duncan has to offer, but if you're hell-bent on actives, I remember UG fell in love with the Blackouts for a brief period of time. And I would definitely suggest straying away from the Dimebucker and Invader series of pickups. They sound horrid in my opinion.

These are strictly my opinions and I think you'll do yourself much better to go out and try them yourselves. It is definitely possible to install active pickups into your guitar and it would be a simple swap with very minimal soldering, if any. I believe EMG uses a quick-connect system, so you could just snip out the old hardware and put in the new.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Changing from Passive to Active:
-Replace guitar input jack
-Replace all pots
-Change pickups
-Hook everything up
-DO NOT CONNECT WIRE FROM BRIDGE TO VOL. POT
-Double check all connections
-Rock out
I love how TS says he wants actives yet idiots still insist on telling him that he doesn't want them because they don't like them.

Also,what Phil said.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I love how TS says he wants actives yet idiots still insist on telling him that he doesn't want them because they don't like them.

For sure it's just funny like seeing how the ts wanted to know which EMG combo suited him/her better and people are telling them to avoid EMG like the plague as they will never in a million years ever be able to suit the ts at all 'cos like you know everyone has the same rig and ears and taste for tone.
Quote by Pr0gNut

Also,what Phil said.

Perhaps not saying he doesn't want them, but saying he should try them out before he makes a costly decision.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Generalpwnt
Perhaps not saying he doesn't want them, but saying he should try them out before he makes a costly decision.

And if they had taken the time to look they'd notice that he already has a guitar with them installed in it,thus having first hand experience with them and knowing that he wants them.

I just don't like when someone comes in to a thread and tells someone they're wrong simply because what they want doesn't coincide with what they'd choose for their guitar.All it boils down to is this:

"I don't like them so you shouldn't either,and if you disagree with me you're wrong."

I happens in any thread that mentions EMG pickups,line 6 products,Dean guitars,or BC Rich anything.Not only is it foolish behavior,it's not productive or helpful in the least.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

THanks for all the input...I feel confident about making the switch. Now I just need to decide which ones. Who makes the Blackouts?
Gear:
Guitars:
Amps:
Line6 Spider III 75
Pedals:
Dime Crybaby
Quote by lasher10
THanks for all the input...I feel confident about making the switch. Now I just need to decide which ones. Who makes the Blackouts?

Seymour Duncan

Quote by lasher10

Only thing I would say to maybe put some pause on your decision is that you already have a guitar with EMGs, and a main point of the EMG tone is that the actual guitar they are plugged into makes very little difference to the tone coming out, so by and large a lot of EMG equipped guitar sound the same

Are you sure you want 2 guitars that sound nearly the exact same? Seeing as your amp isn't exactly a boutique model you're not gonna hear much of a difference.

Not badmouthing your choice, just an observation
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
yea if u've already got a guitar with EMGs, why another? maybe try the blackouts as previously mentioned. just as nice....i believe hellraisers have 81/89 set with coil tap. try out some blackouts, and compare to the EMGs. if u prefer EMGs, then go with that.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Go for the Blackouts. I had EMG 81/60 and they were great but the Blackouts has more bandwidth.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
that's exactly what I was thinking by maybe trying the Blackouts.....I was thinking about either the Metal or the Mick Thomson set. The reason I want to put Actives on my Tempest is because I love the action on my Tempest, but I love the sound of my hellraiser. The Hellraiser plays nice but the action is a little high due to the Floyd Rose. So, basically, I want a guitar with the actives without a Floyd Rose. I was going to buy an ESP EC1000 w/EMGs, but with xmas and all, cash is a little thin right now.
What would be a better choice for the money then my Bogner Valve 112?
Gear:
Guitars:
Amps:
Line6 Spider III 75
Pedals:
Dime Crybaby
I would say compare the EMG's of your Hellraiser to those Blackouts that are getting great reviews everywhere. There are a few different versions of the Blackout's now and I think even Mick uses different ones now than what he started with. As many good review's as I've read of the Blackouts, that should be what you compare the EMG's to for a dirty metal tone like you like. I like your gear setup already and your amp selection. I'm a metal purest myself and have a old spider II 120w but I'm about to upgrade to that spider III 75 for practice. I think line 6 has the most versatility when it comes to metal tones and I know I'll get bashed for that opinion here but oh well. I ordered a fixed bridge RG for $350 and I'm about to order the first Blackouts in a set for it to get that tone. Don't get me wrong, I love that EMG tone but the Blackouts sound better to me and it's not some pickups that just come in guitars normally unlike the case with EMG's. I wanted to do the same thing as the MTM1 for a cheaper price and I also wanted a tone knob which my guitar will have. The only thing my setup will have missing is the locking nut and double locking fixed bridge. Aight man, Good Luck!
ok.....I got the Blackouts but now I am having problems. I got them installed but cant seem to get them to work correctly. I replaced all the pots and did the 2 volume 1 tone setup. The only thing I did not change is my 3 way switch. Do I need to get a new one of those too? All 3 of the wires that come from my 3 way switch have a bare in addition to the insulted wire. I just soldered the bare wire to each pot. Something just doesnt seem right. Also, the diagram shows these secondary wires that show soldered to the top of each pot...they aren't connected to anything though. HELP!!
Gear:
Guitars:
Amps:
Line6 Spider III 75
Pedals:
Dime Crybaby
There's a ground wire as well as the shield wire. Both gets grounded.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by lasher10
ok.....I got the Blackouts but now I am having problems. I got them installed but cant seem to get them to work correctly. I replaced all the pots and did the 2 volume 1 tone setup. The only thing I did not change is my 3 way switch. Do I need to get a new one of those too? All 3 of the wires that come from my 3 way switch have a bare in addition to the insulted wire. I just soldered the bare wire to each pot. Something just doesnt seem right. Also, the diagram shows these secondary wires that show soldered to the top of each pot...they aren't connected to anything though. HELP!!

Are you using this diagram http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2_blackouts_2v_1t
yeah...that's the one I am using.....but my 3 way switch does not have that ground wire that comes off the top. Each one of the 3 wires that is coming from my switch has a bare wire wrapped around an insulted wire. I am unsure what to do with this bare wire so I just solder it to the pot that I am attaching the insulted wire to.
Gear:
Guitars:
Amps:
Line6 Spider III 75
Pedals:
Dime Crybaby
ok...wait...I just noticed something......the 4 pots that came with the kit have different numbers on the. 2 have 15A25K 0912 and the other 2 have 15A25K 0927Q ....the instructions do not say anything about this.....are they different? Meaning one for tone and the other for volume?
Gear:
Guitars:
Amps:
Line6 Spider III 75
Pedals:
Dime Crybaby
ok...I got it.......one of the wires was grounding out. I got the pickups working.....now I have to throw the strings on. It definitely seems like they could have made an easier install. I just don't like soldering all those wires to the top of the pots. Makes it messy looking.
Gear:
Guitars:
Amps:
Line6 Spider III 75
Pedals:
Dime Crybaby
There's always an easier way. The pot takes a lot of heat so the solder would flow. Tin the pot first, melt a drop of solder on it. Then take a stripped wire and solder it on the pot. Attach all ground wires to that wire.

I make a loop of stripped wire on all pots and attach the ground wires to the ends on my guitars.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+