I dont know anything about recording. If I simply want to make just real rough recordings, is a usb mic on its own sufficient..?
Like, can I just plug it into a standard laptop with nothing else and have it work ok...? Or would I need additional hardware..? I already have sony acid as software for playing around with audio files.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
it'll work but it'll have a ridiculous amount of highs. Your best bet is to go to radio shack and pick up a 1/4 - 1/8 adapter and plug your guitar into the audio in jack of your computer.
Quote by Crimzin3
it'll work but it'll have a ridiculous amount of highs. Your best bet is to go to radio shack and pick up a 1/4 - 1/8 adapter and plug your guitar into the audio in jack of your computer.

Those cables suck though, I used to use one and it never sounded anything like the actual guitar tone.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Try a blue snowball. Its cheap and has decent quality. Its good for demos or rough recordings. I ordered one to use until I can get a better rig.
Quote by phlip999
Armstrong to moon bass.
Sorry.

Quote by 0RI0N
I just glanced and thought his name was tampon.

Quote by Crimzin3

This. I've done tons of great-sounding demos with one of these and some good VSTs.