I've been playing guitar for a while now, and for a long time I've wanted to see if I can make a career out of it. I don't see myself being happy doing anything else.

I originally wanted to go to MI, but the costs are too great. $20,000 a year plus living costs. So, I'm currently looking for a cheaper place of education. However, I still want to get a lot out of the experience.

McGill university seems to have the best music program in Canada. It's located in Montreal, which I should be moving to this January (although I don't plan on studying until winter 2010 at earliest).

Will going to this school actually help with getting a career in music, or are they schools in the US that are more recognized and of a similar price? Roughly $7000 a year.

Many thanks
Well if u think it'll make you famous...it wont. It will help ur skills but most good guitarists were self-taught. Cuz its more likely you will develop your own style if u are self taught. Music schools are more for jazz and that kind of guitar players I guess.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Please ignore the above user's post.

McGill is jazz and classical orientated, so unless you plan to pursue a career in these styles and already have a very good level I wouldn't recommend it.
You should check out English music schools, they're quite cheap compared to the American ones.
Quote by zObiPhiOn

McGill is jazz and classical orientated, so unless you plan to pursue a career in these styles and already have a very good level I wouldn't recommend it.
You should check out English music schools, they're quite cheap compared to the American ones.

Well, from what I understand Jazz is a good genre to study, as the theory is pretty universal (although I suppose application would differ), the techniques can be used in many genres, and a degree in jazz study looks good.

Given the option I would rather do self study, primarily for economic reasons, but then the possibility's of pursuing a career become even more slim.

I lived in the UK for around ten years before moving to Canada, and while the schools may be cheaper, the cost of living is much more expensive.

I suppose I'm really hoping to study in America.
Going to music school has absolutely no gurantees of a career in music, and given the current economic climate it's unlikely to even improve your chances much.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Tom-sawyer
Well, from what I understand Jazz is a good genre to study, as the theory is pretty universal (although I suppose application would differ), the techniques can be used in many genres, and a degree in jazz study looks good.

Yes, but do you listen to jazz, are are you able to play it at a decent level? If not it's useless to try to get into a jazz-oriented school.

@Steven seagull: Agreed, but it's still probably better than sitting at home alone.
Quote by zObiPhiOn

They're more expensive for foreign students though.

TS, what do you want to get from your degree? What do you want to do after your degree?

These are important questions to ask yourself and with the answers you can find a course that suits you.
I have heard berkely has an excellent music program as many famous artists have graduated from there. It will give you some publicity (if that's the right word) if you're pursuing a musical career. the industry is so fickle tho that Jesus himself could walk down from heaven slingin a guitar and all the labels could ignore him if they so chose to. I mean You can never know if that 20 g will be worth it in the long run.
Don't blow your money on a music school. Move to a city with a bangin music scene join bands or start your own and study privately with the best or one of the best players in town.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by maverick_137
I have heard berkely has an excellent music program as many famous artists have graduated from there. It will give you some publicity (if that's the right word) if you're pursuing a musical career. the industry is so fickle tho that Jesus himself could walk down from heaven slingin a guitar and all the labels could ignore him if they so chose to. I mean You can never know if that 20 g will be worth it in the long run.

Ahhh yes but most of the famous people have not graduated from there.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Thanks for all the reply's everyone.

Zobiphion: I play and listen to jazz. It's not my favorite genre, but I definitely enjoy it a huge amount. I have a decent of knowledge of jazz chords/construction, I can read most sheets from a real/fake book. I feel I have a foundation that I can build upon.

12345: Essentially I would like to learn how to play guitar really well, and to get a degree that will, even if slightly, help me pursue a career in music.

Maverick: Berkely is probably the best, or at least most famous, music school out there. Problem is it costs $50,000 a year.
Quote by Tom-sawyer
12345: Essentially I would like to learn how to play guitar really well, and to get a degree that will, even if slightly, help me pursue a career in music.

What sort of career do you want? Do you want to be a rock star, session guitarist, teacher, tribute band etc.?
It really depends upon the core skills you already have.

Can you sightread and position play?

Do you know harmony and theory, and modes?

Do you have a strong Chord vocabulary?

If so you can pretty much take any music collage you like. All information and learning is abstract, unless you apply it how you want to. Information doesnt make you a star. I have had students that have taken my own course, use the core information to get into Berklee, and I have had them get into the UNT, and the main thing is what level of education you want, and the quality and experience of Faculty.

There's a saying though, if you can play jazz you can pretty much play anything...which is saying that it involves the highest degree of knowledge to play Jazz since you must understand far more than a rock guy to begin to pull it off.

What makes you famous, is your creativity matched with the ability to connect with others, and have them like you. Do that enough times to enough people and you can and will be famous. The trick is how you reach all those people. Education alone wont do it. Luck plays a lot into it.

But word of mouth is the best form of advertising.