xxx Hey, i'm looking at getting a new guitar. I want a guitar preferbly with EMG's but no floyd rose, i hate those things. Also it needs to be good for thrash/melodic death metal kind of stuff.

So far i can't decide between a Schecter Avenger and an ESP LTD EC-1000. if i got the LTD in vintage black it has an ebony fretboard, are they better than rosewood? other than that the two guitars are pretty much the same except the schecter has coil taps. which one do you think i should go for?

if you can think of any other guitars, my budget is around £600 or $800.

Cheers.

Schecter Avenger

ESP LTD EC-1000
Last edited by bfmv_oli at Dec 5, 2009,
hmm, save up a bit more, schecter c-1 blackjack atx's with the active duncan blackouts are killer! they sell in shops for about £750 (no point buying online, you save about £150, but possible import charges/problems with shipping/problems with guitar in future having to send it back to the seller ect . . you'll probably loose alot more than £150)
yeh the atxs are awesome, come both with or without fr, check them out (:
You won't get an EC-1000 for 750 bucks, will you?

Take a look at LTD's 400 series or at some cheap Gibsons.
i'll take a look at the blackjack, and yeah i managed to find an ec-1000 on ebay new but i'm not sure whether i'd trust buying a guitar off ebay :/
Quote by bfmv_oli
anyone know whether ebony is a better fretboard than rosewood?

It's really a preference mate, their is no 'better' fretboard just a 'more preferred' fretboard. Best thing is too obviously try both guitars out and see which one feels nicer to you.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
It's really a preference mate, their is no 'better' fretboard just a 'more preferred' fretboard. Best thing is too obviously try both guitars out and see which one feels nicer to you.
right okay it just seems like none of the cheaper guitars use rosewood but i guess there are different kinds of each wood...
has anyone had experience with an LTD EC-1000? i havent had the chance to try one out yet. what's it like?
Fretboards. Hmmmmmmm.
Gibson introduced Ebony on the first LP Customs of 1954. Their bodies were all Mahogany, so that makes some sense. Some say the harder wood gives the guitar a slightly brighter tone than the Rosewoof that is used on the Standards. Later, the Custom bodies also gained Maple caps for brighter sound and ease of production.
The high output pickups we enjoy these days also should sound better with a bit of extra brightness from the woods. This is probably less important with EMGs than the very hot passives.
I would send you to TC Ellis to have one of his Series 2 LPs fitted with EMGs. You get a hand-finished guitar with a pro setup and hard case plus you save about £200.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

If you can get the ec-1000 used, then get that, it is a very nice sounding guitar, and i find it better than most gibsons ive played. I like my schecter but i would trade it for a ec-1000 any day.
My Gear:

PRS Se Custom 24
Vox Vt 30
Esp Ltd C-301 Bass
Acoustic B100 Bass Amp
Morley Power Wah Bass Pedal
Quote by LTD-F-250
If you can get the ec-1000 used, then get that, it is a very nice sounding guitar, and i find it better than most gibsons ive played. I like my schecter but i would trade it for a ec-1000 any day.
I have found two NEW ones ebay from america and they both work out £536 with shipping to the UK, plus whatever customs is :/ i could get it in gloss black, which i thinks looks nicer, or vintage black, with an ebony fretboard. i'm not sure which to go for. any suggestions?

Gloss black

Vintage black

Also the gloss black one has a pro setup.

EDIT:

i have worked out that with customs it will cost £678. would you recommend me saving up an extra £78 for the LTD if the schecter will cost £600
Get the ESP. It's a ****ing awesome guitar, I got mine yesterday. It can do a lot of different tones, and so far it's got the best warm lead tone (think Opeth) and best sustain out of any guitar I've played.

Also, a Canadian guitar store is having a sale on the Vintage black EC-1000, $900 Canadian and free shipping. If you're interested check it out.

http://www.lamusic.ca/ESP-LTD-p/ec-1000vb.htm
Quote by bfmv_oli
has anyone had experience with an LTD EC-1000? i havent had the chance to try one out yet. what's it like?
The neck is really smooth and easy to play most styles. Sweeping feels a little different to me cause a played a Jackson for the last year and a half, but it's just different, not bad. The tuners are definitely solid, won't come out of tune very easily, and on top of that it just looks ****ing sweet.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Dec 5, 2009,
try to get to a shop and try out some guitars!!!!!
I (and I know alot of other people to) would never, ever!, buy a guitar without trying it first
it's stupid
you might hate it
get to a shop, try out some guitars, dont just pick a guitar and go "want that on" without trying it, you might go in, find that you hate the necks on both guitars, I dunno
JUST GET TO A SHOP NOW!!!!!
^ In my case that was actually impossible, as the nearest guitar store to me (and the nearest McDonald's, think about that now), is 600 miles away.

I don't feel bad about ordering my guitar online, but it would've sucked if I hated it.
Hey. Have you tried in looking at a Epiphone SG Prophesy EX Electric Guitar. The cost, at the most, will be $650. It comes with 81/85 EMG humbuckers and NO FR (Floyd Rose). Absolutely an astonishing guitar!
I have tried out a schecter Avenger but havent had the chance to try out an ESP yet. that's why i was asking about ESP's, i wouldn't buy a guitar without trying it if i'm going to spend £600 on the ****er
Quote by tbfender93
Hey. Have you tried in looking at a Epiphone SG Prophesy EX Electric Guitar. The cost, at the most, will be $650. It comes with 81/85 EMG humbuckers and NO FR (Floyd Rose). Absolutely an astonishing guitar!
They look and sound nice, but I don't really like feel of them. Kinda heavy, and the neck is bulky and no fun for shredding, imo.
Quote by tbfender93

It has really good features, ebony fretboard, EMG's etc, i just don't like the finish on it. if the les paul one was plain black with gold hardware it would look so much better. The inlays look bad as well.