ive just got boss pedals but heard ehx pedals are good, just want a distortion pedal, found the big muff fuzz, is this their distortion pedal and would u recommend it
what amp would you be using it with?
They have lots of different fuzzes, OD's and distortion pedals.
If your amp isn't really good, then the pedals won't sound good either.
So tell us the gear you have now and what kind of tones you are after.
the clue's kinda in the name....it's a fuzz pedal
Any phrase followed by the word "FACT!" makes it more true that it already is.
epiphone goldtop lp
laney vc30
iam after 70s rock sound, neil young, peter frampton, robin trower, well theyre a few guitarists i like th3 sound of, cheers

when i searched only the fuzz turned up, no distortion pedals on their own
Last edited by skilly1 at Dec 5, 2009,
Quote by hernythecow
the clue's kinda in the name....it's a fuzz pedal

Technically, it's not a fuzz pedal as pointed out by many on here. It's a distortion, but there are plenty of brilliant fuzz sounds.

TS, If you're interested in going into Boutique effects then there are many, many options, but if you want to stay with the EHX Muff, I would suggest the Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker. With the tone switch on and wicker off, you have yourself a normal US reissue big muff Pi, with wicker on there is some added high end clarity. Tone switch takes out the tone control, and you instead regain your mids and get a whole load of extra volume and power. The Big Muff is known for it's mid-cut, and it's a love it or hate it situation. Take a listen to some demos and go and try one out for yourself to make up your mind. If you're interested in some more booteek gear, just say so and I'll be happy to explain.

Would you also post your budget?
And Big Muffs come up regularly on evilBay and in classifieds, so you could easily go used.

i was looking for a fuzz/distortion/od pedal before and someone suggested looking at a Catalinbread Supercharged Overdrive theyre pretty expensive apparently, but they sound mint

demos and stuff on youtube
What's your budget? Could you not get a decent enough 70s rock tone from the drive channel of your VC30?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
yeah i can get a good sound out of the drive on the vc30 then i wanted a different sound so i got overdrive and and distortion pedals from boss and also get a good sound but ive heard ehx distortion are good and top guitar players use them so i dont want to miss out, i dont want to spend over 70 quid though, iam really just researching first before i decide if i want to buy one
Quote by skilly1
yeah i can get a good sound out of the drive on the vc30 then i wanted a different sound so i got overdrive and and distortion pedals from boss and also get a good sound but ive heard ehx distortion are good and top guitar players use them so i dont want to miss out, i dont want to spend over 70 quid though, iam really just researching first before i decide if i want to buy one

You could stretch your budget and get one of these Big Muff clones. Much better than the Muffs EHX make now.

http://www.stompunderfoot.com/MUFFS.html
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by skilly1
ive just got boss pedals but heard ehx pedals are good, just want a distortion pedal, found the big muff fuzz, is this their distortion pedal and would u recommend it

Skilly1 do you want a distortion pedal or a fuzz pedal?
Quote by mattpas
Skilly1 do you want a distortion pedal or a fuzz pedal?

Yeah there is a substantial difference. And are you strictly looking at EHX pedals? There are many other great brands on the market.