Not sure if anyone figured this out before, I bought a korg ax3g recently and this hit me.

1. All digital pedals/mfx needs to go through a ADC-DAC conversion process.

2. Buying single pedals are not a good thing if they're digital units, even those made by boss, like digital delay, digital reverb, you get the idea.

When you have 2 or more digital based pedal in a chain, you're exposing your tone to a lot of ADC-DAC conversion. That's a definite signal loss there.

For digital based single effects pedals, I stick with MFX so I can use both digital reverb, delay and other effects that are usually best accomplished by digital units, in a single MFX box, to minimize ADC/DAC conversion on the pedal board.

Have anyone of you ever considered this ? Chaining more than 1 digital pedal in your board is really asking to degrade your tone. You really should only have 1 unit with DAC/ADC conversion if you must use a digital unit in the chain.

Therefore I think when you use an MFX unit, you should not use any other digital stompbox, even those made by boss in the pedal chain.

Even buying 2 boss pedals, if both are digital, is ASKING for trouble. Bad idea.

But if you think otherwise, and it works, no tone loss, then the hype about Digital units are bad is just that, hype, so that means ADC/DAC is not that bad at all.

What do you think?

I am satisfied with a single mfx korg ax3g and it alone can cover all my digital effects in 1 single box.
never really thought about it. never posted the same couple paragraphs i wrote over and over again when people asked about it. never realized that most guitarists avoid digital for the wrong reasons because they are uninformed. like really? you cant have 2 digital pedals because it will always kill your tone? throw something with a high sampling rate and a large data storage size (also known as a high quality A/D converter) in there and you may not even be able to tell the sound is digital.

anyway, that thing i like to post:
Quote by jof1029
the true difference between analog and digital: analog is continuous and digital is discreet. now before you start going, wtf does that mean, let me explain. analog takes your signal and runs it through a bunch of components to give the propper effect. things like capacitors, resistors, transistors, and diodes are all used to control the voltage and current of the signal coming from the guitar.

digital instead converts your guitar signal into digital information, then runs it through digital filters to manipulate the sound. then this new data is converted back into an analog signal and sent to your amp.

again, you are probably wondering wtf that means for your pedal. it means that analog is going to what it does to the whole signal, but is limited in what it can do. you cant do more than space allows (such as having a very long delay time). also it will not be perfect because the components are not perfect, but fall within a tolerance. now this is actually what gives analog a warm sound, so this imperfection is actually good. now with digital it breaks the signal into pieces, so you lose everything between those pieces. now usually you wont lose much because a good sampling rate is used, but the loss is still there (even if not always apparent). then the signal is going to be affected the same way each time (not counting signal errors) because you are simply manipulating 0's and 1's. this is why some people feel digital sounds a bit sterile. the up side is you can do so much in such a small space that the possibilities are almost endless. you can also have very fine control over many different variables, which isnt always possible in analog.

conclusion: both have their places and uses. one cannot always be said to be better than the other because they are different. instead of worrying about analog versus digital, see what pedals sound good to your ear and what pedals do what you want, then buy those.