Poll: Where do you get most of your spiritual input?
Poll Options
View poll results: Where do you get most of your spiritual input?
The Internet
9 11%
Other popular culture (Oprah, movies, music, etc.)
2 2%
Social network (friends, family, etc.)
4 5%
Independent reasoning (thinking about it alone)
66 81%
Voters: 81.
I am currently writing an essay on the connection between popular culture, religious seekership and the formation of groups in the cultic milieu, and I thought it would be interesting to see where the Pit finds its spiritual input. Now I know that the majority is atheist, but you must have learned about that somewhere as well, n'est-ce pas?

Poll coming shortly.

jeppedit: I haven't had French in a while, okay?

jeppedit2: 'Other popular culture' includes literature.
Enjoy jeppelapp responsibly.

Quote by In The Mist
If you led your life by the pit's advice, you would be in prison on multiple charges of rape.
Last edited by jeppelapp at Dec 5, 2009,
I'm agnostic and I didn't exactly "learn" it somewhere from what I remember. I just don't have a belief in god, but simultaneously I'm not going to say with an absolute certainty that there isn't anything.

Let's say I learned that from reading Tintin.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by jeppelapp
Now I know that the majority is atheist, but you must have learned about that somewhere as well, n'est pas?

Yeah. Philosophical enquiry using logic, reasoning and induction.

Talking about spirits is talking nonsense.
Will have to go with independant reasoning and i guess the internet too, Agnostic btw.
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
Worked it out myself. Never been one for fairy tales or imaginary friends.

Quote by Craigo
Talking about spirits is talking nonsense.

+1
I think I should add that most of the people who are religious seekers are divorced women 40+, and I doubt that there are a lot of these in the Pit.

For those interested: This is what we're basing our essay on.

Quote by In The Mist
If you led your life by the pit's advice, you would be in prison on multiple charges of rape.
Quote by jeppelapp
I am currently writing an essay on the connection between popular culture, religious seekership and the formation of groups in the cultic milieu, and I thought it would be interesting to see where the Pit finds its spiritual input. Now I know that the majority is atheist, but you must have learned about that somewhere as well, n'est pas?

Poll coming shortly.

I don't mean to sound like a grammar a*s but it's "n'est-ce pas". The translation of yours means "is not", whereas I'm assuming you mean "is it not?" which is very à la française

and Independant reasoning FTW
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Last edited by Dream Floyd at Dec 5, 2009,
I was never taught that there is no god. My family is not relgious, but on several occasions I thought that they believed in some greater force that controls us. I don't remember ever believing in god.

EDIT: I was baptised when I was very young. Is "baptised" the correct word? I don't know any of this terminology.
Last edited by sashki at Dec 5, 2009,
A mix of the options, but the internet and reading books really started me questioning religion and eventually rejecting it. I do a lot of independent thinking about it as well .

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Mixture of the first and last option, I took info from the internet and then I went away and thought about it to come up with my own views. I was heavily indoctrinated into religion as a child so I had to have some way of undoing that.
Parents brought me up Christian, it is funny how when I went to my Christian class that I need for 'Confermation' that's when I realized how bullshit it was, when they were trying to teach us about it

how ironic, no?
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Faith is (necessarily) taught. Lack of faith is not.
Military use of children?

Infantry.
I'm a "Christian" but its been bastardized so much that i refuse to believe in a religion that discriminates against homosexuals and whatnot, so i concluded that the best is to take snippets from various religions and believe what feels right to you.
I believe in Gaia/Buddhism/parts of Christianity/Zen
Without music life would be a mistake. ~Friedrich Wilhelm

Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody. -- Catcher in the Rye
parents taught me christianity, the internet (the pit) shoved athiesm down my throat, and i thought about it and decided to be agnostic.
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by Highway60Bob
Parents brought me up Christian, it is funny how when I went to my Christian class that I need for 'Confermation' that's when I realized how bullshit it was, when they were trying to teach us about it

how ironic, no?

um... unless i misread that, im going to have to go with no, its not ironic
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
I had an imaginary friend when I was little, he was an Owl. The coolest part was, he didn't even tell me to kill people who didn't believe in him.

That's the only imaginary friend I had. Independant reasoning, I suppose, common sense and logic.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Should probably present my own view.

I'll have to agree with the opinion of a mix of all the above. I was never baptized, my father is an atheist and my mother a Christian of sorts (she believes in God and Jesus), but I was never indoctrinated in any world-view. I've always thought about it a lot and I was somewhat spiritual (after reading some articles on the internet and having discussions with my friends) until I read "The God Delusion". Then it all went downhill, and now I'm an atheist.

Quote by In The Mist
I'm atheist. I read to Nietzsche and Freud and then I realised of all.
That I'm Anti-semitic is the biggest lie since the Holocaust.

lol
I think a lot of us would be lying if we said that the internet didn't open the doors to much of the information on which we base our religious beliefs.

I had always held an agnostic belief since I stopped going to church when I was about 12.

I think downloading and watching "Religulous" was what did it. Now I'm an agnostic atheist.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Shameless self-bump, I know, but I'm stuck at 2500 words (need 3000). Anyone got any tips on what I could write about when the topic is "The connection between group formation, seekership and popular culture in the cultic milieu"?

Quote by In The Mist
Quote by dudetheman
I think a lot of us would be lying if we said that the internet didn't open the doors to much of the information on which we base our religious beliefs.

I had always held an agnostic belief since I stopped going to church when I was about 12.

I think downloading and watching "Religulous" was what did it. Now I'm an agnostic atheist.

You based your religious feelings (or lack thereof) on "Religulous"??? Believing what that guy was saying is almost as bad as brainlessly following a religion
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"