I am going to make my first band. I am an experienced guitar player, by the way. We haven't decided on a band name or genre yet, but soon we will. By the way, how would I know if a band name is taken or not when I choose one? These are the people involved in the band idea (with substituted names):

-Me, Lead Guitarist
-Person 1, Rhythm Guitarist (and possibly signer as well)
-Person 2, Drummer (also percussion)
-Person 3, Keyboardist (with an assortment, 489 to be exact, of different sounds)

We, currently, have to bassist. We think the keyboard can make up for it though. What are our major options of genres that we can go for basing on our members and what they play? I will keep you guys posted on information about this new band idea.

~Fen
Uhm, I don't know why bands think that they can go without a bassist, alot of the local scene bands around here disregard it completely. I don't know, I personally don't think you can go without a bassist if your looking to become more then just a group of guys jamming in the basement.

Well, an easier way to find out if a name is taken is simply Google that band name. OR just go to Myspace music, and search the name.

Now, this isn't a surefire way to make sure the name is not taken, but it's about 90% effective.

And options for genres?

Uh, you could do some type of melodic death metal, if you are all decent.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Last edited by MattAnderson111 at Dec 5, 2009,
Play whatever genre you like. Your specific instrumentation really doesn't limit you in that respect. You don't have to stick to one genre, but try to have some unifying style.
For band names, check Last.FM, myspace, or just Google to see if they are taken. I'd recommend checking out the "Copyright for dummies" sticky in this forum for some more information about having the same band name as others.
Hey I'm the one who directed you here! Haha but I'd definitely say:
Pink Floyd, The Who, Derek Trucks Band(I think they use keyboards), and look at a lot of jam bands.
Also consider playing stuff from any band you like, and add in keyboard rhythym or fills. Even solos would be nice and interesting
Yeah sure, you can replace a bassist with a keyboard 100% of the time
All I will say is, if any member becomes lazy, get rid of them. Trust me from my own experience, it will not end well if you don't get rid of them at the first sign of them not being committed.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

you can kind of replace a bass player with a keyboard. but it won't be the same at all. especially if you ever decide to play funk or anything like that. i feel like people disregard the bass too much. one of the best relationships in the band should be your bass player and your drummer. without that duo i think your band will be lacking. just an opinion though. do what you think will work best for you.
Thanks for answering my previous questions guys

Well, I have some more. The drummer said he cannot transport his drum set, so we have to do it at his house if anything, but he never calls me to ask me over. Mainly because of his parents, they don't like loud noises in their finished basement. One more thing, the drummer and the keyboardist are brothers, they tell each other everything, but when I told the drummer about starting a band he didn't tell the keyboardist about it for a week, actually I had to tell him about it myself (the keyboardist is a grade younger than me). How can I set up a place to practice? This might be a big obstacle, if his parents don't allow us to practice in this house.
I'll deal with the band name situation.

If you absolutely don't want a band with the same name as you then just type in the name you want to use into google and put band after it and see what comes up. Alternatively, if you're a metal band then you can just search the name on the Metal Archives and see what comes up, you should be safe then.

There are loads of bands that share names with other bands. For example, Wolf, Sabbat etc. As long as you're not taking Iron Maiden and calling yourself that then it's fine. My general rule for band naming is that if a band is active and signed then you can't have that name.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by Meurglys3
I'd recommend checking out the "Copyright for dummies" sticky in this forum for some more information about having the same band name as others.

Yep. Here - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1053221

Item #6 is "Help! Someone stole our band name!" It addresses your concern quite thoroughly.

One question.... your drummer says you have to practice at his house because he can't move his gear. What will he do when you have a gig?

...and.... you and the drummer hired his brother, the keyboard player, but didn't consult him first? How could he possibly not know he was in the band until a week later?

This is all sounding kinda bizarre.

You CAN have a band where keys are substituted in place of a bass, but it will really define your sound. As long as you're prepared for that - and LIKE that - then go for it. Currently, USS is making a lot of waves and it's just two guys - one plays acoustic guitar and sings. The other guy basically DJs, dances, and plays keys. The drums and bass lines are all canned. Not my cup of tea, but it is certainly working for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTmuFZgcQFs&feature=related

MGMT (recently proclaimed to be Paul McCartney's favourite new band) doesn't seem to have a bass player - at least not in this hit song. (they do have a bass player in other songs, though....) Just a couple of singers and a guitarist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMISSK-zXZc

If it is simply a matter of 'settling' because you don't otherwise have a bass player, then you'd best reconsider.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by FendrelRowan
Thanks for answering my previous questions guys

Well, I have some more. The drummer said he cannot transport his drum set, so we have to do it at his house if anything, but he never calls me to ask me over. Mainly because of his parents, they don't like loud noises in their finished basement. One more thing, the drummer and the keyboardist are brothers, they tell each other everything, but when I told the drummer about starting a band he didn't tell the keyboardist about it for a week, actually I had to tell him about it myself (the keyboardist is a grade younger than me). How can I set up a place to practice? This might be a big obstacle, if his parents don't allow us to practice in this house.

Could you help me out with this please?
Quote by FendrelRowan
Could you help me out with this please?

You can book practice rooms for a small fee in your area. For example the Camden Roundhouse in London is incredibly popular for bands with nowhere else to practise.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
+1 it'll run you about 50 bucks or so per practice, so make sure you make up for it in merch sales and gig fees. Especially merch sales, they're like 80% profit.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Is this a band you started with a few friends? If it is then it's likely to fall apart quickly. Much better to find musicians on Craigslist and then become friends afterwards.