I need some spare strings for my standard 4 string bass, but need an E anyway as it has just snapped! If you guys could recomend a type, model or manufactuer that would be really cool.

Thanks
What style do you play, what other gear do you have, what kind of tone do you want?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Some good general strings are Ernie Balls, check out their range. D'darrios are extremely bright until they die, then they are extremely dull. I use Warwick blacks, which are nice and growly for a while, then mellow out a bit. It's mainly personal preference.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I play a lot of light rock, light pink floyd, beatles etc. I play quite often, and dont want strings that dont last very long, something thats durable.

Remember that I also need some spares, so they cant be too expensive.
i got a set of rotosound swing 66's for £14 on amazon and quite frankly i love them. really bright to start with - almost harsh - but once they have settled down, i have not played any strings i prefer
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
I disagree with the Rotosound recommendation. I used to use them exclusively, but after switching to DR, I realized that while Rotosound sound good at first, they're dead within two weeks. DR last quite a long time.

Anyway, I'm using Dunlop Nickel Plated Steels right now, and they seem to be quite good.
Elixers for me! Great tone and looong life.

Also, thats not normal for your E string to snap. Unless your were popping the shit out of it (and I mean in a way that was not musical at all, just yanking as hard as you can). Id get your bridge checked out to make sure it isnt cutting your strings.
The string snapped as when I was tuning it. the strings were already really tight when the tuner said tighten it, so I did, and snap.
I'm guessing you were an octave too high then
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I like the Dunlop Stainless Steels because their long life and the punchy tone.
Jackson DXMG With SD Blackouts
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez GSR205EX
Acoustic B200H W/ Acoustic B410
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by ogsi
I play a lot of light rock, light pink floyd, beatles etc. I play quite often, and dont want strings that dont last very long, something thats durable.

Roger Waters used Rotosound 77s (which are nice strings in general anyway). They're flatwounds, so they last a long time because they come basically dead (thats the point of them). I have no idea what Paul used.

Quote by m4l666
Some good general strings are Ernie Balls, check out their range. D'darrios are extremely bright until they die, then they are extremely dull. I use Warwick blacks, which are nice and growly for a while, then mellow out a bit. It's mainly personal preference.

D'adario's are ok, but die very quickly. I've never used Ernie Balls, but I've heard those don't last long either.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I have to say that Ernie Ball strings start REALLY bright, but if you like their mellow-ness after the brightness is gone, then go and grab a pair of them. I recommend the power slinkies or the regular slinkies because they are cheap and if you are into a mellow sound they stay that way forever.

Also, i understand that you probably don't have enough bank to go and buy bass string left and right, but to find a good pair of strings that YOU like, you are going to have to try them out.

Just because someone likes rotos, doesn't mean that you will like them. I not trying to diss anybodies opinion, but you just have to find what strings are right for you.
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
Quote by ogsi
The string snapped as when I was tuning it. the strings were already really tight when the tuner said tighten it, so I did, and snap.
I was actually just about go ask how it could happen; I'd like to see the condition of someone's bass who can snap the E just from playing.
Quote by ogsi

Paul Mcartney used Rotosound 88s with a viola bass (as dead as dead) and PF's bassist used a Rickenback (as bright as bright) so you'll want a good mid-ground. Rotosounds are nice and bright but wear down pretty quickly. Elixirs should be good for you I think.
Quote by herby190
I was actually just about go ask how it could happen; I'd like to see the condition of someone's bass who can snap the E just from playing.

My Kramer has broken E strings just from tuning. Twice. And its in great condition. I think problem is that the tuner for the E string is very close to the nut, so the E string itself (as in, the thick part) often wraps around the post.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Ernie Ball Super Slinky sound great and are relatively cheap. A while back I was buying packs of Hartke stainless steel strings for $10 a pack. they sounded fine for club dates, but I wouldn't record with them or anything
DR Black beautys are nice but the black paint chips off them, thats why im using the DR High beams, DR's last forever and they are nice a bright yet clear and powerfull, its all a matter of personal preference i mean they are just strings it isnt gonna signifigantly change your tone or how you play, thats how i look at it.
Schecter Scorpion 4 Neck Thru with EMG Hz's
Schecter Custom 4 with EMG Hz's
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver D.I.
Kustom Groove 1200 HD Solid State Amp
Kustom Groove 8-10"s
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kingofworms666
DR Black beautys are nice but the black paint chips off them, thats why im using the DR High beams, DR's last forever and they are nice a bright yet clear and powerfull, its all a matter of personal preference i mean they are just strings it isnt gonna signifigantly change your tone or how you play, thats how i look at it.

you would be suprised
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

I go for DR Hibeams, tried sunbeams but the hibeams feel better. Feel > anything else, ymmv. Never tried rotosounds.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Agreed on the DR highbeams. I just picked up a pair and they added a new sound that my band was looking for. From what Ive heard and from the guy at guitar center, they last a really long time.
^ although they will tell you anything to make a sale
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid