Well, they have different styles and techniques to play, so I've always assumed that they were categorized as two completely different instruments. But, really, they're not all that different, so which is it? Can they really be considered the same instrument with different styles? Or are they just two instruments that are similar, but definitely aren't the same, which makes them different instruments?

Anyway, should they be considered as their own instruments?
They're both guitars, so no, they aren't seperate instruments, just different kinds of the same instrument.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Personally, I think they are the same instrument just suited for different genres and for different sounds. Plus the chords and theory and junk are the same.
"Wipe ur lip, I see some ass on there..."

"A guitar is only good in the hands of a good guitarist...unless it's a REALLY sexy guitar..."
It's a bit of both really, the manufacturing is essentially the same yet slightly different and in terms of strings, they're different. Technique wise there's not much in it as you can play classicaly on both. It's really an aesthetic debate as they are, pretty much, the same instrument
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by Let It Be0o0
Personally, I think they are the same instrument just suited for different genres and for different sounds. Plus the chords and theory and junk are the same.

Same thing about electric guitar. They're different instruments, all the three of them.
Marshall MG15DFX
Line 6 Spider III
Squier Strat Standard
Ibanez RG350EX
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Signature Wah
Would you consider Acoustic and Classical Guitars to be different instruments?
A classical guitar is an Acoustic. Not all Acoustics are Classical. A hammer is a tool, not all tools are hammers.
They are both guitars, just different types. In the guitar family you got your acoustic, classical, electric and im assuming a hollow-body electric would classify as another?

So basically they are the same instrument, just different types of that instrument.

Acoustic guitars are very, very different from classical guitars.
They're the same instrument; Although different styles call for different playing techniques, you can play all three of the same way; you don't need new knowledge if you're switching from a steel string to an electric or to a classical or whatever.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
They operate on the same basic principles of physics, share numerous similarities in terms of construction and so on...

They are also used for different purposes and have their own characteristics in terms of tradition.

Well... Comparing these two is like comparing a car and a motor bike. They both have engines, transmissions, brakes, tires, wheels, and so on. How would you classify the two? A car and a bike? Or a motor vehicle?

Same kinda question. Both answers are correct.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
definitely the same. the way you play them is different, but thats like saying a 6 string electric is a completely different instrument than a fretless guitar. they're both guitars, both can be played with the same tunings and chord shapes. i definitely consider a classical guitar to be the same instrument as a regular old steel string acoustic.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
You can use classical techniques on an acoustic, and acoustic techniques on classical etc. Same with electric. They're all basically the same kind of instrument, they're all guitars, just with different sounds etc.
The classical guitar was here first.
Until the first part of last century it was just known as THE guitar.
Pesky steel string strummer and it's delinquent cousin the electric gitbox are different instruments and have stolen the REAL guitar's name. They ought to buzz off and get their own names.
Then the real guitar can drop the pompous "classical" adjective.
Quote by captivate
They operate on the same basic principles of physics, share numerous similarities in terms of construction and so on...

They are also used for different purposes and have their own characteristics in terms of tradition.

Well... Comparing these two is like comparing a car and a motor bike. They both have engines, transmissions, brakes, tires, wheels, and so on. How would you classify the two? A car and a bike? Or a motor vehicle?

Same kinda question. Both answers are correct.

Probably more like comparing a Dirt Bike to a Road bike.
Different types of the same instrment so no i wouldn't
"I want a drink"

"You always want something. In Tibet, if they want something...they give something away"

"Do they? That must be why they are such a dominant global power"

Brought to you by Graham Linehan and Dylan Moran
Instrument=no
Guitarist=yes
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

That game had the best synthesis system ever.

Quote by firebird103
I'm pretty sure you just won the thread. I can confirm everything you just said as well being a heavily qualified geek myself....

Congrats sir