A while a go, I saw that you could combine a JB and a custom custom and make a "perfect PAF sounding pickup". I naturally question this but I really don't doubt it would sound good. When you combine the pickups, which magnet would you put the coils on. I've heard you could use either, but wouldn't this drastically change the tone.
Quote by end_citizen
How do you mean "Combine pickups?"

Your question can be interpruted many ways.

taking one coil from each.

And no, that wouldn't make a PAF. Way too much output.

Try a Custom 5 and a '59's coils.

Magnets change tone a LOT. Think of it this way: A JB and a Duncan Distortion are the exact same coils. The only difference is the magnet: Alnico V and Ceramic, respectively.
The JB is way less powerful than the DD.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Dec 5, 2009,
Quote by oneblackened

Magnets change tone a LOT. Think of it this way: A JB and a Duncan Distortion are the exact same coils. The only difference is the magnet.

Really? Where'd you find this info?
I'm not doubting the validity of the statement, I'm just curious. It's a good random guitar fact to know.
There was a thread about this here a while back, with a link to a thread about it on the Seymour Duncan website but I can't find either.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Quote by sashki
Really? Where'd you find this info?
I'm not doubting the validity of the statement, I'm just curious. It's a good random guitar fact to know.

SD's forums.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
A Custom 5 and a 59 combined is the idea behind the Custom Customs, am I right?
Quote by BGSM
A Custom 5 and a 59 combined is the idea behind the Custom Customs, am I right?
No, the Customs Custom come from taking a Custom or Custom 5 and changing the ceramic or Alnico V magnet for an Alnico II magnet.

To have a fully correct PAF copy, you should use an Alnico II magnet - however, whether that makes the ''perfect'' PAF to your ears is another issue.

The thing that really defined the PAF tone was the mismatched coils. To put it very simply, when one coil is hotter than the other, you get a brighter, clearer tone as the one coil dominates the other. Pickups like the DiMarzio Bluesbucker take this to the extreme; you mostly only hear one coil while the second is ultra-low output and has no bearing on the tone other than to cancel hum. The resulting tone is P-90-like without hum. The original PAFs weren't so extreme; the differences in their coils were more subtle and it only added a little bit of treble response. Another aspect of having mismatched coils is the direction you install the pickup in becomes important. If the more powerful coil is towards the neck, you'll get a slightly thicker tone. If you turned the pickup around 180 degrees so the more powerful coil was now slightly closer to the bridge, you'd get a slightly brighter tone.

Getting one coil from a pickup like a Custom5/Custom Custom and combining it with a coil from a '59, Alnico II or Seth Lover model would be the extreme of this; you'd get a very thin tone, it would certainly be closer to the DiMarzio Bluesbucker than a PAF.
For actual PAF tones, a better combination would be one coil from something like a Pearly Gates or Jazz model and the other from a Seth Lover or Alnico II Pro. PAF tones come from one coil being just a little bit more powerful than another - if you make it a big contrast, you'll get much more of a P-90 tone.

As far as the magnet goes, as I said before, an unpolished Alnico II is vintage correct, but depending on how you play, your amp style and your definition of the 'perfect PAF', an Alnico V might well be better for you, there's no outright winner. It would be better to get the coils right first using an Alnico II magnet, then changing to the Alnico V if the II doesn't work out for you. The II should probably be your first port of call though.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
And flibble takes the cake.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden