Poll: Do you Backup?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you Backup?
Yes, all my files are backed up externally.
15 17%
Only some of my most important files are.
31 34%
No, everything is stored 1 hardrive only
44 49%
Voters: 90.
Just interested after seeing a thread about a nasty virus... who actually keeps their files safe?
I myself back up everything onto an external, and keep my media files and documents on a different drive in my PC to the OS drive.

How about you?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Nope. I'm just not a moron and know when not to download things. Also, I understand the concept of an antivirus.

But in all honesty if I had the money lying around for an external hard drive, I'd be on that shit in a second.
I can't afford to buy an external hardrive
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
External hard drives are cheap as crap. You can get a TB for $100. A fucking TERABYTE.

Nearly every file I have is on my external hard drive.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I don't have an external hard-drive, but then I don't really have anything worth backing-up. Will an external hard-drive save my computer from failure?

That said, I have spent money on a proper anti-virus, and apparently if you don't download stuff there's less of a risk, so I guess I'm safe for the moment.
im an accident waiting to happen
Quit my job blowin leaves
Telephone bills up my sleeves

And they were singin like this!
Quote by sashki
I don't have an external hard-drive, but then I don't really have anything worth backing-up. Will an external hard-drive save my computer from failure?

That said, I have spent money on a proper anti-virus, and apparently if you don't download stuff there's less of a risk, so I guess I'm safe for the moment.

Well you're downloading all the time.

By the way does anyone use online backup facilities?
I keep some important documents backed up. Mostly just school work I've done.

I don't back up anything else. It can all be pretty easily replaced if I lose it.
Wish I did. Hard-drive crashed a month ago, lost almost all of my music. Not even from a virus.
Gear

Ibanez SZR
Cube 30
Digitech RP 250
Quote by vitchb

Downloading what all the time? I was under the impression that HTML, Flash and pictures won't be able to clear my drive or some crazy shit like that.

Or can they? DUN DUN DUUUUUUN?
In that case, what's the point of having an anti-virus if everything goes straight through?
Quote by archangels666
Nope. I'm just not a moron and know when not to download things. Also, I understand the concept of an antivirus.

But in all honesty if I had the money lying around for an external hard drive, I'd be on that shit in a second.

It's not just viruses that you have to worry about. There are other reasons to back up your files.
Unfunny witty comment : I don't need no backup, I can easily download my pr0n all over again bro fo sho......!?

Seriously, I don't backup any files really. I mean I'll send some GP files and some lyrics and whatnot to a small USB device but I don't back much up really....
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by sashki
Downloading what all the time? I was under the impression that HTML, Flash and pictures won't be able to clear my drive or some crazy shit like that.

Or can they? DUN DUN DUUUUUUN?
In that case, what's the point of having an anti-virus if everything goes straight through?

Viruses vary, some are easily avoidable and AVG will stop it in it's tracks, some can bring mainframe servers to its feet... depends.
Anyway, it's not only viruses that are a danger, Hardrives are guaranteed to fail at some point, just don't know when, so I'd keep my files safe in-case my hardrive dies sooner than I expect.
I worked at a computer refurbishment center, and one of my jobs was to check/wipe hardrives, you'd be surprised how many computers came in with failed hardrives.
No. Why? Because I don't know how to back files up.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Quote by vitchb

My school gives us all a drive that can be reached through the network.

The drive claims that it's 68.3 Gigs, but all that's free is a measly 9, which doesn't make much sense. Nor is that enough to back up all my stuff.
I have a Seagate 500 GB external hard drive, so I keep everything there. The only files on my laptop's hard drive are system files and files that are currently being downloaded. >_>

I back up some of my system files too. Like, all the AppData of my Internet browsers.

My external hard drive only has around 140 GBs left, so I'mma buy a 1 TB external hard drive in the near future, I suppose.
Quote by archangels666
My school gives us all a drive that can be reached through the network.

The drive claims that it's 68.3 Gigs, but all that's free is a measly 9, which doesn't make much sense. Nor is that enough to back up all my stuff.

Better than my school/collage, we have a large network (~600 PC's, many technicians) yet we have such a small quota limit, something like 300mb!
I'm study graphic design and photography... 3 photo's in TIFF would take up my whole quota. External hard-drive is a necessity for me.
time machine is my friend
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
I back up all my pictures and some other important things. I've had a harddrive crash more than once so I keep my stuff on atleast 2 separate harddrives.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I back up pictures, music, and videos. Otherwise there's nothing really that important on my computer.
None of your poll answers apply to me.
I don't back much up, but I have 2 hard drives. If one gets viruses on then I can back up important stuff to the second HDD and then reformat.
I use a program called Windows Live Sync to backup all my school files through the internet onto a desktop computer at home. I don't back up anything else... although I will when I install Windows 7. I have 32 bit vista now, so I'll need a clean reinstall.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
buy me an external hard drive, and i'll back up all my stuff.

E-married to no one
My Name is MaryJane
Pokemon Black FC: 3310-5005-8816

Quote by Kumanji
Honestly, I know where Alabama is and I suppose that explains your deeply striking looks...
i have many of my college papers (the rest are on my school account on their computers) and all of my music stored onto an external. that's about it though.
#DTWD
No, i dont have anything important
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Yo.

I really need to do another backup though, it's been way too long and way too much data since my last one...
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
technicly I don't back stuff up,
my laptop has 2 seperate hard drives of 250gb each,
windows and unimportant programs are on my first,
steam with my games + all my documents are on the second.

that's safe enough for me tbh, if windows ****s up I can just format my c and reinstall and still have all my files

if my second hard drive fails however i'm ****ed, but hell, that's a risk you even have with backups on an external hard drive

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
I have 3 hds, 1 for the OS and installed programs, 1 for music and films and other random stuff and the other is for recording music and shit, it's filled with VSTs and Impulses.
Quote by hriday_hazarika
I have a Seagate 500 GB external hard drive, so I keep everything there. The only files on my laptop's hard drive are system files and files that are currently being downloaded. >_>

I back up some of my system files too. Like, all the AppData of my Internet browsers.

My external hard drive only has around 140 GBs left, so I'mma buy a 1 TB external hard drive in the near future, I suppose.

bad idea, brah. i used to have all my music stored onto a seagate external only. it crashed after a year and a half. it's better to have your important shit on both drives. hell though, i have a friend in chicago who's external died and the next day his internal died. talk about poopy luck.
#DTWD
I burn my files onto CD's 'cause I dont have money for an external hd. Not the best idea 'cause I'm running out of room to put them.
If I've got enough leftover money this Christmas, I'm gonna get a 500 gb hard drive since my computer is a POS and I'm afraid of it dying permanent.

Edit: Although I do try and back up as much as I can online.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Dec 5, 2009,
I have a 320GB hard drive that I don't really use for very much else, so I have a full backup on that. It's so incredibly easy with Time Machine, I see no reason not to do it.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Quote by primusfan
bad idea, brah. i used to have all my music stored onto a seagate external only. it crashed after a year and a half. it's better to have your important shit on both drives. hell though, i have a friend in chicago who's external died and the next day his internal died. talk about poopy luck.

Actually, the reason I bought the external drive was because my computer's drive was running out of space. Backing stuff up was far from my mind. xD

My Seagate has been working awesomely, though. I've had it for more than year now, and I've dropped it a couple of times too, but it hasn't given me any problems yet.

Ultimately, nothing is completely dependable. =[

What brands do you recommend?

Sucks for your friend, man. =[
Quote by hriday_hazarika
Actually, the reason I bought the external drive was because my computer's drive was running out of space. Backing stuff up was far from my mind. xD

My Seagate has been working awesomely, though. I've had it for more than year now, and I've dropped it a couple of times too, but it hasn't given me any problems yet.

Ultimately, nothing is completely dependable. =[

What brands do you recommend?

Sucks for your friend, man. =[

yeah, nothing's really dependable.

as for brands i use ... well ... i have a seagate ... again.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
yeah, nothing's really dependable.

as for brands i use ... well ... i have a seagate ... again.

You have a Seagate FreeAgent, I presume?