Im starting to get very into indie/altern rock music. however im finding this style is alot harder to write in the others. so im wondering what are common types of chords that are used, bands i like in the genre include interpol, The bravery, coldplay, and modest mouse
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
It's not really the 'type' of chords that make the difference, its the progressions. I know with Radiohead, many of the songs have unique progressions. As always, the best way to discover more about a genre is to listen and transcribe/learn songs.
i kinda figured that i would have to do that, i have realized that there are some chords in indie songs that you wouldnt use in a straight up rock song though
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
A lot of it does have to do with the progression, but to me a lot of inde stuff relies on the melody that is happening on top of the chord progressions. You mentioned Cold Play, several of their songs are very basic if you analyze the chords (almost G,C,D stuff) - but the vocal melodies are what make it have that indie sound.

That being said, I do hear a lot of Sus4 and Sus2 chords in indie