Hi guys I'm currently using a Line 6 Spider (yuck) and am looking for a new one. I've been playing for almost a year and am in a dorm. Based on this info should I go with a Solid state, Tube, or Hybrid? I don't think a tube is good for me (at least for now) since they are pretty loud and require replacement. I don't know much about hybrids. Are they worth it? Do you have to replace components of them? Also any recommendations on what amp I should get would be great (Marshall, Peavey, etc). My budget is around 300-700$. Thanks for the help.
Last edited by The Laminater at Dec 5, 2009,
What guitar have you got? Personally unless you have a metal style guitar such as Ibanez, Jackson etc then i'd go for a Marshall. If you can find a marshall tube amp for a good price i don't think you'll be dissapointed. If you have got a metal style guitar then you could also go for a Marshall but go for the MG series. I'd personally go for Randall or Peavey Amps if I had a metal guitar. Hope this helps.
what do you play?
personally i would get a tube amp, they are not that loud if you get a small wattage one, some of the louder ones can be turned down to use a different wattage, or you could simply turn the volume down. the tubes do not need changing al the time, it all depends on how much you play. for the love of god do not get an mg they have improved but they still suck.
Sorry guys I forgot the most important part! I play mostly metal so I need a lot of distortion which (from what I've heard) means that I will have to crank the tube amp. I play an epiphone SG and I heard that the MGs suck also lol.
I think you've "heard" too much. Go play some amps at your local guitar shop.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
I think you've "heard" too much. Go play some amps at your local guitar shop.

I will for sure but I just want to get a good idea of what to try due to the fact that the closest guitar shop is about 45 minutes away.
Blackstar HT5 combo. 5 watts so its not to loud and the distortion sounds damn good. might need a boost to do metal though. I have one and am able to get some pretty good metal sounds out of it. Iron Maiden/Darker Dreamtheater esque. Check it out. Plus it has a headphone output if being quiet is an issue.
Quote by SlashAppetite
What guitar have you got? Personally unless you have a metal style guitar such as Ibanez, Jackson etc then i'd go for a Marshall. If you can find a marshall tube amp for a good price i don't think you'll be dissapointed. If you have got a metal style guitar then you could also go for a Marshall but go for the MG series. I'd personally go for Randall or Peavey Amps if I had a metal guitar. Hope this helps.

^this is wrong.

Marshall's only tube metal amps are in excess of 50 tube watts, are right at the top end of your budget for a secondhand head and you'd would require a attenuator to find a a passable volume for bedroom practice, pushing them well over the specified price range.

On the bright side, you should have a look at the Peavey 6505 112 combo with an attenuator or the blackstar HT5 with an overdrive.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by R.D
^this is wrong.

Marshall's only tube metal amps are in excess of 50 tube watts, are right at the top end of your budget for a secondhand head and you'd would require a attenuator to find a a passable volume for bedroom practice, pushing them well over the specified price range.

On the bright side, you should have a look at the Peavey 6505 112 combo with an attenuator or the blackstar HT5 with an overdrive.

I posted that as i didn't have a clue what gear he had or what music he played, now that i know i would advise him on Either a Peavey or a Randall guitar amp.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Ehm, to your first post, Hybrid amps remain at the high end of your budget.... Mostly...

What you want is tube, because companies don't want to make any more GOOD SS amps anymore.

Its mostly an xmas present so I might be willing to throw in a couple Benjamins. Are hybrids worth it? Thanks for the help everyone.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
What you want is tube, because companies don't want to make any more GOOD SS amps anymore.

Bandwagon much? There are plenty of good SS amps, but for a good tone playing metal you're better off with t00bz. Blackstar HT-5 with a bad monkey gets my vote.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by The Laminater
Its mostly an xmas present so I might be willing to throw in a couple Benjamins. Are hybrids worth it? Thanks for the help everyone.

not realy all they are is a solid state amp with a preamp valve that acts as both a power tube and a preamp tube, all it does is help simulate amps better
the new egnater rebel series are very good amps and they attenuators, so you can go anywhere from 1-30 watts (depending on model you have). i have the rebel 20 and it can get very very quiet and still sound good.