Poll: How do you leave your computer when not using it?
Poll Options
View poll results: How do you leave your computer when not using it?
The way it is when running
44 22%
Lock
14 7%
Log off
7 3%
Sleep
32 16%
Hibernate
12 6%
Shut Down
75 37%
I don't leave the computer
19 9%
Voters: 203.
Page 1 of 2
When you're not using the computer, what state do you leave it in?

I personally shut it down, but I know people who just leave it, logged in, with MSN and Facebook still running.

What are the advantages of each option? Poll up shortly.
During the day, sleep. When I go to bed, shut down.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Depends how long I'm gonna be away. If I'm just gonna go downstairs to watch tv or something, I'll just close the lid which puts it into sleep mode. Otherwise I'll just shut it down.
If I'm not using it then there's no point in it being on, so I shut it down.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
When no one is using the computer, I shut it off. Whats the point of wasting energy?
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
i leave it on all the time except when we know noone will be home all day.it takes me 15+ minutes to boot up and beable to go on the internet!!!
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
If im going out i shut it down. If im doing other stuff but pretend to go back i usually use lock.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
* at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
It's morphing time bitches.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
I personally god damn bullshit reboot it when I have to, or I put it to c*nt face f*cking sleep.

I just close the lid, which results in sleep. Then once a week I turn it completely off at night just for the sake of giving it a chance to reboot properly and set itself straight.

AÆdit: I use sleep just because it takes less time to start back up. I get up like half an hour before my first class starts in the morning, so I don't like waiting five minutes for it to start up. I just want to check my email and go.
Last edited by archangels666 at Dec 5, 2009,
I just close my laptop

I used to be able to keep it unplugged for a couple days and I'd shut it down, now a full battery lasts about 15 mins, I need a new one
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
MY laptop is never off. It's always locked.

if its always locked... how do you use it???
sim simma

who got the keys to my beema
texas.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I shut it down whenever I don't use it, otherwise it's slow as fuck by the time I come back.

I'd assume that's not meant to happen.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I'm the only one who uses my PC so it's always on with all passwords engaged.

Everybody knows my password anyhow, it's the same everywhere.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I'm the only one who uses my PC so it's always on with all passwords engaged.

Everybody knows my password anyhow, it's the same everywhere.

Is it "Ferret Guy"?
>_>
I don't ever shut my computers off I run 24/7 all the time, I had one laptop on for 3 yrs strait and never turned it off, I just traded it yesterday for a new iPod touch.
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
Depends...If I'm only going away for like 30 minutes, I just log off on my desktop or go on standby on my laptop. Anything longer though I'll shut the PC down.
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
I have a laptop, so during the day, when not using it, I just close it which makes it hibernate.

At night though, I turn it off.
Just close my laptop, I shut it down if there are updates.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
I honestly don't understand people who leave their computer turned on 24/7. What a waste of electricity! I mean, if you're waiting for a download to finish or something that's understandable. When I leave the room for a few mins I at least turn off the monitor....

Would these same people leave their TV on all day and just mute it when it's not being used?
Depends how long I'm leaving it for:

Very short time: leave it
Hour or so: Standby
Longer: Shut Down
Quote by -heartbreaker-
I honestly don't understand people who leave their computer turned on 24/7. What a waste of electricity! I mean, if you're waiting for a download to finish or something that's understandable. When I leave the room for a few mins I at least turn off the monitor....

Would these same people leave their TV on all day and just mute it when it's not being used?

TV's don't take 5 minutes to turn on and off.
Shut down at night, leave it how it is during the day (unless I go out).
If I'm not using my laptop for a short time (like for an hour or less) I just close everything and then close the laptop. It will go into sleep mode.

If I'm going to be away from it for longer than an hour or so I normally hibernate or shut down. I usually prefer hibernate since it takes less time to start back up.
I always just leave my laptop on. hmm how bad is it if I have never shut it down for any length of time. (since I got it 2 years ago)
It varies.

If I had a laptop, I'd probably shut it down to save battery or whatever.

But because I just use a desktop PC, I find it more convenient to log off.
I shut it down.
Ubuntu has a "hibernate" option which is basically just "shut down" but it saves what windows you had open, but it takes longer to start up from Hibernate mode than to just start it up from being off.
Page 1 of 2