Page 1 of 2
I just got a new Ibanez Xiphos XP300FX. I am looking for new pickups for it, preferably passive. I want something with a nice rhythm like Lamb of God and good leads like Avenged Sevenfold. I know Sevenfold uses invaders, but i have heard they werent that great. I would like a dimarzio combo if possible. Hit me up with your suggestions.
Dimarzio evolution for bridge?
Or D activator-X if you want more output.
for neck maybe a super 3

edit:i forgot this,: for extreme gain you can get a X2N, it as 510 on output range.
thats hot.
Last edited by J.J.G. at Dec 5, 2009,
Quote by Krizay666
I just got a new Ibanez Xiphos XP300FX. I am looking for new pickups for it, preferably passive. I want something with a nice rhythm like Lamb of God and good leads like Avenged Sevenfold. I know Sevenfold uses invaders, but i have heard they werent that great. I would like a dimarzio combo if possible. Hit me up with your suggestions.

What amp have you got? Mark Morton uses a set of seymour duncan Sh-1 59's. For dimarzio I'd suggest a Tone Zone in the Bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck or use the pickup selector on the dimarzio web site.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by MetalGuitarest
doesn't the Xiphos already have dimarizo in it?

i think mark morton uses duncan 59' humbuckers in both neck & bridge?

The 300series does not.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
My bad...

The more expensive Xiphos have DiMarzio D-Activator X's.

Please know, I don't own or play any of the Xiphos, I'm just saying what I know.
For a Lamb of God sound with DiMarzio pickups:

Neck: Norton
Bridge: D Activator

OR

Neck: PAF Pro
Bridge: Super Distortion
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
For a Lamb of God sound with DiMarzio pickups:

Neck: Norton
Bridge: D Activator

OR

Neck: PAF Pro
Bridge: Super Distortion

Actually I compared output and EQ between the SH-1's and the closest dimarzio pups and the cloest pickups to mark mortons would be:

Air classic neck
Air Classic Bridge

Almost exact output and a slightly less dramatic EQ.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Actually I compared output and EQ between the SH-1's and the closest dimarzio pups and the cloest pickups to mark mortons would be:

Air classic neck
Air Classic Bridge

Almost exact output and a slightly less dramatic EQ.

Wooah, now that's going in depth.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Thats the cockiest way of of putting that sentance, ever.
Tissue?

The nicer Xiphos' do have DiMarzios - which is exactly why they're nicer.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Anyone else noticed the TS hasn't said a word in over 24 hours ? :P
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
I'm thinking of going with a x2n in the bridge and paf pro for the neck, anyone had any experience with this combo? im pretty set on the x2n, but if anyone has any better neck choices, tell me.
What amp do you have TS? (Can't believe no one has asked that)
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
ive got a marshal vs 100 with an avt cab.
i use a metal muff for most of my tone though.
Quote by Krizay666
ive got a marshal vs 100 with an avt cab.
i use a metal muff for most of my tone though.

Since you're set on the X2N, I'd recommend a pair of new ear drums as well.

The X2N doesn't exactly epitomize clarity or definition. I shudder to think of the tone when run through a metal muff.

Maybe the D Activator X for your neck pickup.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
actually, for a 90 dollar pedal, can make it sound like a mesa. its probably one of the best pedals i have ever used.
Quote by Krizay666
actually, for a 90 dollar pedal, can make it sound like a mesa.

I find that immensely difficult to believe.

Buuuuuuut its your tone.

Just so you know, the X2N really does not play well with solidstate amps and pedals.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
haha, trust me, i understand, buts extremely suprising how well the pedal reshapes your tone, but i think you are right, the d activator x looks like a much better choice.
Quote by Krizay666
actually, for a 90 dollar pedal, can make it sound like a mesa. its probably one of the best pedals i have ever used.

then you havent heard many

It's a budget metal pedal, thats just about it. If you want Mesa in a box, look at the Wampler Triple Wreck, thats a quality pedal.
Quote by Krizay666
haha, trust me, i understand, buts extremely suprising how well the pedal reshapes your tone, but i think you are right, the d activator x looks like a much better choice.

For your bridge or neck?

D Activator > D Activator X > X2N
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
paf pro for neck d activator x for bridge.
know anywhere to get the x in yellow?
Quote by Krizay666
paf pro for neck d activator x for bridge.
know anywhere to get the x in yellow?

That sounds smarter.

Altho I'd feel that a MOJO might be a better match for the DAX... but that's just me.

If you want it from yellow... just go to any DiMarzio dealer and tell them you want it in yellow... they'll be able to order an bring it in, it'll be at least a 1 - 2 week wait tho.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Krizay666
would the mojo keep the lower notes clear?

Hmmm its a bit fatter and more saturated... depends on how clear you want it... If you want clarity, the Air Norton, Air Zone, Norton or Humbucker from Hell would have better clarity and chime IMO, but I think this is something you have to decide for yourself.

The MOJO was just something I felt might have gone better with the DAX, but its an opinion and by no means right.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
i was actually looking at the air norton, id like something thats good for staccato. i think that may be good. wouldnt a plain d activator go well with that?
alright, thanks.
i just really want something that sounds great for shredding lol.
i think thatll work.
Quote by Krizay666
i was actually looking at the air norton, id like something thats good for staccato. i think that may be good. wouldnt a plain d activator go well with that?

Actually by far, that would be a MUCH better combination.

If you're looking at the D Activator... other choices like the Air Zone, Humbucker from Hell and Air Classic all become viable choices that matches the generally balanced sound of the D Activator nicely
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Krizay666
alright, thanks.
i just really want something that sounds great for shredding lol.
i think thatll work.

The Air Norton / D Activator combo will be pretty good for shredding.

If you like you can also consider the Breed / D Activator combo as well... the Breed will give you more punch and fatter feel to your neck tone.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Krizay666
will i still get somewhat of a metal tone to it?

You can get a metal tone out of a stock strat or a 59 Les Paul... the "metal" in your metal tone comes from your pedals or your amp, not your pickup.

The pickup will give a particular characteristic to your sound.

It won't make your tone any more or less metal.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by acdclandon
What amp do you have TS? (Can't believe no one has asked that)

It was asked in the 4th post
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by ragingkitty
The Air Norton / D Activator combo will be pretty good for shredding.

If you like you can also consider the Breed / D Activator combo as well... the Breed will give you more punch and fatter feel to your neck tone.

The X2n is a great pickup when used in an alder, basswood or poplar guitar. I used to have one in a jackson dk2m. In mahogany guitars its wayyy too muddy. I d-activator X is a really bad pickup in my own opinion so the regular D-activator is a good option. Raging kitty knows what they are talking about. I would agree with that they have suggested and also suggest mid and lower output pickups such as the air classic and air norton. Guys like Paul gilbert use them and they have a pretty sweet shred tone. I would suggest a super distortion if you want a high output pup. They work well with mahogany bodies.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
The X2n is a great pickup when used in an alder, basswood or poplar guitar. I used to have one in a jackson dk2m. In mahogany guitars its wayyy too muddy. I d-activator X is a really bad pickup in my own opinion so the regular D-activator is a good option. Raging kitty knows what they are talking about. I would agree with that they have suggested and also suggest mid and lower output pickups such as the air classic and air norton. Guys like Paul gilbert use them and they have a pretty sweet shred tone. I would suggest a super distortion if you want a high output pup. They work well with mahogany bodies.

Is that X2N of yours from the early 90s?

I found my X2N simply too sharp and did not cope too well with solidstate amps or pedals. In some guitars, I found that it got too muddy to be usable. Interestingly though, I think its very sensitive to tone woods, still I don't particularly like it at all.

I found that the DAX is better at chugga chugga... but def not too great at shred, but power chords get a really chug and thump out of the DAX.

Actually I personally prefer a Super 2 to offset the "heavier" and dark sound in a mahogany body, but the definition of the Super Distortion cannot be denied.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Is that X2N of yours from the early 90s?

I found my X2N simply too sharp and did not cope too well with solidstate amps or pedals. In some guitars, I found that it got too muddy to be usable. Interestingly though, I think its very sensitive to tone woods, still I don't particularly like it at all.

I found that the DAX is better at chugga chugga... but def not too great at shred, but power chords get a really chug and thump out of the DAX.

Actually I personally prefer a Super 2 to offset the "heavier" and dark sound in a mahogany body, but the definition of the Super Distortion cannot be denied.

My X2N was from around 2005 but I was running it through a mesa boogie Express 5:25 which is not a high gain monster so the X2n was being used to push the amp to get more gain for an early megadeth sort of tone. I was using a blackstar DistX pedal and that got alittle muddy at times but was usable.

The super 2 is a great pup as well for mahogany bodied guitars like you said.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
ive just heard how great they are. id also like to put some yellow pups in it, and so far all i know who makes them are dimarzio. i mean, im not going to sacrifice tone over color, but it would be nice to have. as i said in the orginal post "dimarzio if possible". But hell, if you can think of some duncans that are better, **** it tell me. but no emgs....****in hate em.
Page 1 of 2
Recommended threads
Poll: Sushi! ( 1 2 )
Gibson_SG_uzr55
Last post:
by Gibson_SG_uzr55