I've been playing for almost 2 years, and what comes naturally to me when I jam is sorrowful, atmospheric sounding riffs. Very much influenced by Opeth and other depressing artists.

What I want is to break out from this strut; I want to be able to write funky, groovy rock music like Muse and Franz Ferdinand, but I can't no matter how hard I try.

Any ideas on the scales/chords these bands use or any other tips? I've tried to analyse the songs and stuff, but when I improvise I still get sad sounds.

Thank you.
I'd suggest watching videos and studying hand movements/placement. Besides learning the correct way to play the stuff, it'll give you a feel for it much better.

For example, I had a horrible time playing David Gilmour solos until I watched him live a few times and learned how he held, bent and muted notes.
stay away from minor scales and chords, they a have a depressing tone to them
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Morphing you say? Well then i suggest you invest in one of these suckers:

-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Yes, stuff that make you nod your head with the rhythm and feel euphoric.

Also; I didn't get the morphing joke. :S
Well his joke was about the old power rangers but that doesn't matter now.

Stingray - Static X
Genius - Pitchshifter
Please Sir - Pitchshifter
W.Y.S.I.W.Y.G. - Pitchshifter (they have alot of danceable tracks)
Master Passion Greed - Nightwish
1,320 - Megadeth
Headcrusher - Megadeth
Southern Deathstyle - Moonspell
Red Stars - The Birthday Massacre
(the start of) rust in peace polaris - Megadeth
Peace Sells - Megaedeth
Blah Blah - Lady Sovereign
A Drug Against War - KMFDM (dance influenced industrial metal muy bueno )
WW3 - KMFDM
Light - KMFDM
Agogo - KMFDM

PM me if you need the songs and their tabulatures.
(trust me ur gonna need to pm me. lmao)

EDIT: by the way if anyone else would like any of these feel free to pm me
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Dec 5, 2009,
take a few weeks to listen to only what you want to play, and watch videos/read books on the style you want to try.
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know why rabbits are smarter than cows?

fucking cows start moo-ing around for no reason, but rabbits keep their mouth shut until they actually have something to say.

god I hate cows.
What westdyolf said, stay away from minor chords and scales. Try major, it usually sounds a lot happier.
I did this for another instrument, but it will completely change your perception of music and improvisation. Learn something you can use to improvise, i.e. the 12-Bar Blues and other difference scales and it should really change your style when improvising/jamming.
u can play some of the beatles song that paul mcartney composed, his style of music and lyrics is always lively and bumbly. that's just IMO
My Guitar and gear:
09 Ibanez S prestige
09 Ibanez RG prestige
09 Ibanez Egen18
09 Ibanez 7 string UV custom
Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
digitec rp1000
Randall T2 HH all tube head
Vox Ac30 all tube heads
Randall RS412XL cabs
Playing in major almost always sounds cheesy to me. Any other scales/chords to get that cool dance sound?
Also, in Hysteria they use chromatics. How the hell did they thought of that riff???
Learn some funky chords like 6ths and Major 7ths, and see what you can make up with them
Those two bands you named would probably mainly use pentatonic scale riffs (with the exception of a few exotic scales in some muse tracks) this will not necersarilly give you a happier feel. You could play in major modes and scales such as Ionian and Lydian mode. However, this will also not necersarily make it sound happier as what you need to concentrate on is your caedances for phrases. It's all about the notes you end on, for instance:

If you are in the key of Cmajor and you play a little solo phrase and it ends on an E then you have ended with a minor sounding caedance in that key. Where as if you did the same but this time ended on a C or G etc. then you would have a much happier sound as they are major sounding caedances!

Best advice to you is learn about caedances and learn the notes of your guitar, that way you can truly be in control of the moods you wish to convey!!

Good Luck!

(ps. sorry for it being a bit long winded )

Boomjosh I see what you mean. I'll look up cadences, cheers mate!

What are the exotic scales Muse and others use? I've played the Kumoi but it doesn't feel very correct to me.

Also, I've almost never used pentatonics because everyone uses them :S
I want to create a distinct sound as a guitarist.
Quote by ingames

What are the exotic scales Muse and others use? I've played the Kumoi but it doesn't feel very correct to me.

If you can't make an interesting phrase in pentatonics, then you can't make an interesting phrase in any other scales.

Use pentatonics, they're the bread and butter. Learn the notes of your fretboard, also, chords you play, if any while jamming or improvising can also change the tone of your sound. Dynamics can play a big role, and what notes you play. Minor can sound happy, people just put it with a sad sound because it has some notes that make a sad feeling.

Harmonic Minor/Major(?) scales are good
Use some Chromatics if wanted
Blues scales

Study Jazz.

As for some funk, I know that RHCP has some stuff, along with Couldn't Stand The Weather by SRV has some cool funk rhythms. SRV used a good amount of funk rhythm.

Also, Hendrix's Wait Until Tomorrow would also be a good song to learn.
Quote by TheBodomBullet

Hell yeah.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by ingames

I would focus on embracing everything about guitar first. If you do that then a unique sound will be a likely result.
If it comes natural embrace it. You're more of that sort of guitarist and that's all there is to it.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
Quote by ingames

Hi again,

Well the scales a band like Muse use will predominantly be pentatonic as this really is the fundamental scale behind most rock. As the guy above advised, i really would try get to grips with it and how you can utilise it properly. As for the more exotic scales; check out the harmonic minor and the Phyrigian dominant mode. Mixing those scales with a pentatonic and other scales is how you can begin to move away from a 'typical' rock sound.

But remember, walk before running, really get to grips with the pentatonic and natural minor, major scales first!!

Good luck!

Try learning some music by artists that you want to be like, but do it by ear, that way you are learning their styles and try to incorporate their music into yours.
I enjoy Music

Quote by TheBodomBullet

LOL that was the greatest post ever!
Why not hire a teacher for a few months to help you break out into other stuff? Or maybe you just need to find some local players to jam with.
Quote by ingames
I've been playing for almost 2 years, and what comes naturally to me when I jam is sorrowful, atmospheric sounding riffs. Very much influenced by Opeth and other depressing artists.

What I want is to break out from this strut; I want to be able to write funky, groovy rock music like Muse and Franz Ferdinand, but I can't no matter how hard I try.

Any ideas on the scales/chords these bands use or any other tips? I've tried to analyse the songs and stuff, but when I improvise I still get sad sounds.

Thank you.

Most of the licks you're playing will fit into a number of keys, try changing the chords and root notes in the bass that you're playing your riffs over and you'll open up a whole new world of possibilities.

playing an A minor scale over an A minor Chord is going to sound sad, playing the same riffs and licks with a F - G - F chord progression will sound spacey. The chord progression and root notes are what put your riffs, licks and solos into context so it's a good idea to explore them