Hi, this is part of the Children of Bodom song of the same name:

I was wondering what scale it's based on, and what scales should I learn for this kind of stuff. Also how do I find out what scales things are based on?

Sorry if these are noob questions, I am one
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by tenfold
Minor scales, blues scales, Alexi's hybrid scales.

Yeah, he's pretty crazy with that stuff.
But to figure out the key of a song with a normal key (haha), write down the sharps, or flats, and compare it to a key signatures chart (just use google to find one). Eventually you can just recognize it by the patterns.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
I think it's B Phrygian Dominant, not sure though since I'm not familiar with the modes of harmonic minor

b c d# e f# g a

1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7

edit: I looked through the whole thing and that seems to be it, there aren't any notes that don't fit in.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Dec 5, 2009,
Ok thanks for your help. I really need to start learning more music theory, I've just started playing guitar properly again after a long period of not learning anything.

So far I've just been learning to play songs. What's the best way to learn theory? I want to understand what I'm playing if you know what I mean. Do I just learn where notes are on the guitar and learn lots of scales?
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99
Ok thanks for your help. I really need to start learning more music theory, I've just started playing guitar properly again after a long period of not learning anything.

So far I've just been learning to play songs. What's the best way to learn theory? I want to understand what I'm playing if you know what I mean. Do I just learn where notes are on the guitar and learn lots of scales?

http://musictheory.net/
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by Axeman99

learn the notes on the fretboard, learn major and minor scales (other stuff would just be confusing) learn the intervals and the patterns they form, chord construction, resolving chord progressions. that oughta keep you busy for a while.
first four bars, it´s just in d minor, alternating between raised and natural 7th scale degree. In the fifth bar, he borrows the Eb from the subdominant key, G minor - at least, that is the way I would describe it. It acts as a leading note to the following D note.

Measure number 211 he uses a non-diatonic dim chord (well, arpeggio) - a quite common thing is actually constructing a diminished triad on the natural 6th scale degree (there is even a term for this, though I can´t recall it), acting as a predominant chord, however a diminished 7th chord as in this case, I haven´t seen from what I can recall.

Measure 213 is just a progression of root + fifth "chords". Bb5, F5, C5, D5, Bb5, F5, A5, D5. You could harmonize according to D minor and play Bb, F, C, Dm, Bb, F, A, Dm to hear the tonality better.

I suggest you take a good listen to the (in)famous Bach organ toccata (yeye, wether he wrote it is disputed) from the Toccata and Fugue (BWV 565). It has some common elements. And it´s in the same key

Note that I was going of the sheet music, not the tabs. Hence D minor, not C minor. Apparently it´s in standard D tuning.

EDIT: here is a performance of the Toccata and Fugue in D minor that I personally like alot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pY08e_tdtA (the toccata goes on to 2:30)
Last edited by descara at Dec 5, 2009,
Cheers guys, that's very helpful. Loads of stuff to learn, I better get started...

Edit: That's an awesome video ^
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Axeman99 at Dec 5, 2009,