The In Flames tone I'm talking about is the Colony-ish tone. The way they sound live like on albums like the Tokyo Showdown and Used and Abused. Could this little Blackstar head do that tone? Open to other suggestions too.
I would get a 5150, except they're expensive, and too loud for my quiet little neighborhood.

Also, what kind of cab would be good to go with the head for a decent metal tone. Versatility is also a plus.

Thanks for any help.
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Compressor (open to suggestions)
well whats your budget?
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
I've never heard that tone before but I can tell you that if you want anything heavier than Black Sabbath than you're gonna need an OD for the HT-5. It sounds really great but doesn't have much gain in it.

EDIT: The HT-5 Head is $400, and if you like 5150's than you can get a 6505+ 112 Combo for $600.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by JayT44
The HT-5 Head is $400, and if you like 5150's than you can get a 6505+ 112 Combo for $600.

That.

But, if you want the low wattage, the HT 5 does have quite alot of distortion, just it never really gets that much distortion out of it, because nobody buys a Blackstar for metal.

You won't get average 6505/5150 tones out of it (IE Machine Head) but you will get enough for In Flames, definatley.

I know that sounds dumb, but thats the way the tone is shaped more.
My budget is around $200-300.
But I've seen HT-5 heads on ebay for $200-$250. I've seen them new too.

Here is a good example of In Flames tone. Just wait a few seconds. Its not really a super gain-ey tone.

The thing about a 5150/6505 is that it just seems too loud. There are some elderly people living about 30-40 feet from where i usually play, and my house just leaks sound.

Do you guys have any other amp recs?
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Last edited by JungIe at Dec 5, 2009,
Quote by JungIe
My budget is around $200-300.
Just wait a few seconds. Its not really a super gain-ey tone.

Ok first things first. That is super gain-ey, just they made it pretty crunchy... but that tone region the HT 5 should get too, but not much more. And I found I couldn't get this tone out of the combo. Got it?

Next, $200-300, for the head, does that factor in a cab or is that a seperate budget?
ignore banana wedgie

the ht5 does not have a lot of distortion. it will only get you into the hard rock zone, even with really agressive pick attack. if you want metal, boost it. it's very receptive to being boosted.

many, many people play metal & metalcore on their ht5. the only problem with it is that it simply doesn't have the bass response of a higher watt head. the brit oriented gain doesn't help it's cause for playing the brootz either. just make sure isf is on the "american side", otherwise the sound won't be tight enough

the 5150/6505 is a completely different beast in every way. apples and oranges
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by the boogieman

the 5150/6505 is a completely different beast in every way. apples and oranges

More like lobster or chips....

Quote by the boogieman

ignore banana wedgie

the ht5 does not have a lot of distortion. it will only get you into the hard rock zone, even with really agressive pick attack. if you want metal, boost it. it's very receptive to being boosted.

Heh, I got one in a store to bleed out some awesome metalcore.
Yeah, I can get a Colony type of tone from my HT-5. Boosted with a Dano TOD and a Sonic Stomp in the loop.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Yeah, I can get a Colony type of tone from my HT-5. Boosted with a Dano TOD and a Sonic Stomp in the loop.

Yeah. TS, it can't get that heavy without an OD pedal.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
the HT5 is 5 watts with a power section that gets dirty very quickly and a sound that is lacking in any grunt whatsoever, because when it comes down to it... it's 5 watts and any low wattage amp is going to be lacking in low end.
the $200-300 is just for the head itself. I wanna get a cab, and use it later as well when i get a louder head, because i just cant get too loud here.

also, as an od pedal, would a digitech bad monkey work for boosting the ht 5?
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
it will increase gain, but add mids that will make the amp sound somewhat nasal, it's not as noticeable as a tubescreamer, but it's definitely noticeable, and also, it'll remove some low end as well which is really going to hurt as far as getting more of a metal sound out of that amp.
Hmm. I don't like how that sounds. Any other amps recs besides just getting a 5150/6505 and hoping the neighbors don't mind?
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Quote by JungIe
Any other amps recs besides just getting a 5150/6505 and hoping the neighbors don't mind?

They do have volume knobs ya know... It's not like getting a 60 watt amp will make it stationary at the loudest volume possible. I'd go for the 6505+ and IF you still think it's too loud, than get an attenuator for it too.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
If you want In Flames tone, run a MT-2 in front of it. Buy one used for cheap, because they're really awful sounding, but that's how classic In Flames tone was made.

Given that I can't really recommend the MT-2, get an HM-2 or a HM-3 instead. The HM-2 is ATG tone in a box.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Dec 6, 2009,