Ok, so I'm pretty sure my strat body is not fender. I posted a picture of my butchered neck pocket in a previous thread, I'll try to find it. My body has a lot of things about it that are very suspicious. The neck pocket has 17 additional holes in it (they do not go all the way through the body), the body looks like it has been painted 3 times (the side got scuffed had and revealed this) and the pickup routing is one large box, much like what the licensed fender companies make. Also, when I expose the insides of the guitar (and under the trem plate) the craftsmanship doesn't look that great. Not all of these things are evidence of it not being fender, but they all make me very suspicious. So how do I go about proving that my guitar body is or is not fender? And not as important but still curious, how do I prove the authenticity of the pickups? After finding the neck pocket holes it seemed as though I fell into a rabbit hole of sketchy stuff. It makes me feel very uneasy about my guitar and sorta as though I've been cheated I've been contacting Fender and Guitar Center to figure out what's going on, but so far I've been given more numbers to call at diff times etc. The run around. Anyway, if anyone has an idea or knows how to figure out who made what feel free to post. Ty.
Most likely by the sound of it, it is either not a fender body or it was highly modded. and badly at that...
post some pics.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Neck Pocket

Neck Pocket Close Up (sry it's blurry, camera phone >< )

Pickups + Some Wiring

Pickup Routing Box

Body, Lower right is where the paint gradient is. Only pic I had showing it.
Yea thats bad manufacturing lol my strat copy is majorly self modded and it isnt so torn up.
but definately not a fender.

just by pure looks ex: the second cutaway is never cut so deep on a fender, two electronics are sold in a single colour not a mix. i mean the knobs and such by the way.)

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by Deadlock Riff
Yea thats bad manufacturing lol my strat copy is majorly self modded and it isnt so torn up.
but definately not a fender.

just by pure looks ex: the second cutaway is never cut so deep on a fender, two electronics are sold in a single colour not a mix. i mean the knobs and such by the way.)

Oh, I was just messing around with diff color knobs and pickup covers. They came all white. That was the only reason I took the pickguard off to begin with was to put some black pup covers on.
Quote by Naptime
Oh, I was just messing around with diff color knobs and pickup covers. They came all white. That was the only reason I took the pickguard off to begin with was to put some black pup covers on.

Either way that isnt a Fender.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

I bought it brand new from Guitar Center. What I'm thinking is that someone else had purchased it, swapped out the Fender gear... swapped in cheap stuff and returned it. GC doesn't check anything except appearance and the serial on the headstock. I bought the guitar in 1997 I think, but this is one of those things where if you're a new player and don't switch in parts in/out you will never know. If I hadn't put a new neck on or taken the pic guard off I don't think I would ever have thought otherwise. This is the first fender I've ever had. I assumed this is how they sounded, how they looked and what they came with. It's outside of warranty and possibly outside of statute of limitations (looking that up atm), but it seems like I should have a certain amount of time to file a lawsuit once I'm made aware of the problem... ie: removing the neck and finding the holes. I think it's something like Discovery if we have any lawyers here. My roomate is a law student, I'll ask her when she gets home.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
I dont think you can file suit due to human error.

Sure you can. It's negligence. My roomate thinks they will try to deal with this w/o involving the courts since a guitar body costs almost nothing to them as a large corporation.
I wish i had friends like that. But yeah they are most likely to do it out of the system, good luck.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by Deadlock Riff
I wish i had friends like that. But yeah they are most likely to do it out of the system, good luck.

Yeah it nice. She remembers everything she reads too so just about anything law related she can help me with. I rly do hope it goes well on Monday with their corporate office. This whole thing makes me feel pretty bad. This whole time I felt proud of my strat and any sound issues I attributed to my amp or skill. I mean, I still suck but lol. Thanks for the help or at least chatting with me. I had to vent. No one I know plays guitar IRL
You're welcome. helping people is enjoyable for me. if u dont mind an add would be nice.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

the headstock/neck is legit?

it's a ~97 standard mex strat?

well, even if they sold you a return /swap strat. you're not going to get them to do anything about it.
they are going to assume you're the asshat trying to swap materials.

you would need to prove that, that's the same body sold to you in 97.

sorry. you can file, and yeah big companies usually try to brush these things under the carpet. but wow, if you could guilt them into doing this, you'd be some kind of super human genius.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Sigh, yours looks so clean and neat. I'm envious. If contacting guitar center doesn't work out, maybe my parents will take pitty on me. There seem to be some really cool stock bodies at warmoth.
Well to anyone who was following this thread or who is interested how the process works in general, I've got some new info. Yesterday I went to guitar center with my guitar, showed and talked to about 4-5 different ppl. Man it's frustrating when ppl laugh. I take that very personally. I do understand that the neck pocket is f'd. A customer and one of the employees chuckled a bit and I snapped on em. Did one of those smile through my teeth things "Yes... it's funny if it's not yours, but it's mine and its real". Ugh. So we talked to the guitar tech there and he said it's definitely not stock and he really doubts it's fender. Ok so that's one guy on my side. One of the other employees had GC up his ass so far. Obviously you stick up for your company so what he said was expected. "If this were me, I'd say it's my fault. Lesson learned. I take apart all my guitars when I buy them b/c i'm interested in them.". I was so close to punching that guy. I replied with " are you kidding me? careful what you say... So what I'm supposed to learn from this incident is that when buying from GC I should disassemble any product and verify professionally all of it's components to make sure I'm not getting ripped off? A rational conclusion to this would be that one should be wary of GC and in most cases be better off buying else ware. " The guitar tech was silently agreeing. Man that pissed me off. Most ppl who buy guitars simply play the guitar. They don't buy the guitar with the intention of replacing the neck or other components (well pups sometimes). People buy a guitar with the specs they want. If you buy a guitar and swap the neck out... you may as well buy a guitar with that neck seeing as that is the most expensive part. Ok, so anyway I got in touch with a manager. I think he was a sales manager or something? Aparently GC has 1 main manager and 2 other lesser ones. The GM wasn't there So I spoke to the sales manager. He was what you'd expect at a chain retailer. He was nice, I will give him that. We talked at length about how I bought a MIA Strat... and don't have one. I paid for MIA and received his bastard cousin. My mom actually called halfway through my conversation with him and wanted to speak to him. She's such a sweet lady, but she'll turn asshole if you mess with her. She went off on this guy. His eyes were so wide. He was trying to speak but couldn't get in a word. I rly dunno what she said but he was more willing to figure stuff out with me afterwards. We talked about a bunch of different things and he basically told me there isn't much he can do and advised me to call fender. I said sure, do you have an office? we can take care of that right now. I think he was trying to suggest I go and do this on my own time... typical. Anyway, we get into his office with Fender on the phone. We speak to one of their guitar techs who I email 3 pics of my guitar. Neck pocket, Paint and Routing while we're on the phone with him. His response is that the guitar is not something that would come out of their factory. There was a bunch of other stuff he said and we talked about (I couldn't speak directly to the tech for legal reasons maybe? i dunno) but the main conclusion was that Fender verified it isn't something that comes out of their factory. I speak to the manager more. He asks me what I want out of this. I tell him, well... I paid for a MIA, I don't have a MIA. He says the only thing he can offer me is a bunch of 20$ gift cards. Obviously I tell him, "that's a nice gesture, however, I still don't have a MIA". He doesn't have the power to offer anything more than that basically so we're meeting today with the General Manager or Branch Manager. I don't necessarily expect that I will get a new guitar body but it is a slight possibility so I will exhaust all options and speak to everyone I can. If you want to help me figure anything out feel free to leave a comment or support. I'm mainly following up with this post to show ppl how this process typically works and how specifically it works with GC. A lot of ppl rip on them, but I do believe in general they're good ppl who want to provide a genuine service/product. Yeah, they do have some clueless riff raff working for them... but so do all chains. Cut costs somewhere. I'll post another update later tonight after I speak with them.

TL;DR: Spoke to sales manager and fender. Guitar body didn't come from their factory. Speaking to General/Branch Manager and Sales Manager in a conference today.
Keep updating, I'm interested in your story and how things go! I'm rootin for ya. I have a feeling if you press them long enough they will give in and you'll come out being satisfied, whether it's with an entirely new guitar, or body. Too bad it has been so long. It would have been awesome if you caught that within the first month or so.
Damn looks like you went through a struggle, but so far things are looking up for (as far as i know). Waiting to here the outcome of this.

EDIT:

P.S. i was very happy to know i was correct lol.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

You got a hell of a lot farther than I thought you would have—especially since you bought the guitar more than 12 years ago!

Good luck, man! Keep us updated.
GEAR:
Fender MIM HSS Strat
VOX AD30VT
FUNDS: $600
Update: Just got home. Man we got a blizzard here in the twin cities. I talked to the General/Branch manager for a while and explained my situation. He tried to support his side and I presented my side as usual. After a while he told me to hang out in the store for a sec while he contacts his boss. I came back after about 5min and he had a guitar in his hand. A 2004 50th anniversary fender mia strat He asked me if I would be happy with a used guitar (it's slightly used, there's no real wear on it... a nick or too tops). I told him as long as it's a american standard I'd be happy. So we took the guitar apart to check the neckpocket lol and whipped up a quick receipt (free, but still had to document it with a receipt). I am very happy with how it all worked out. I honestly didn't really think anything was to come. Not only did I get a new body, they gave me a complete guitar! I can use the extra parts to make a spare partsocaster. I gotta run and pick up some strings for this, but here are some pics!

13 yrs later and they still are willing to help me out. Guitar Center in Roseville, Minnesota. I've been going there for more than 15 yrs and will continue to go there
Lol ya, "Minnesota Nice" right? Well If you were I'd have an extra guitar for you to play lol. Well, as long as you don't play rough... mr. 17 hole neck pocket is sensitive.
I am sooooo happy for you. That is really awesome of them to do. Good for you man! Enjoy it! It's beautiful!
Quote by Naptime
Lol ya, "Minnesota Nice" right? Well If you were I'd have an extra guitar for you to play lol. Well, as long as you don't play rough... mr. 17 hole neck pocket is sensitive.

lol nah its a righty plus i use huge strings. 14-72s the low e wouldnt even fit into the tuner lol and thing smaller than a .012 is hard for me to grip. plus i love the tone.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by TheWaydown
I am sooooo happy for you. That is really awesome of them to do. Good for you man! Enjoy it! It's beautiful!

Ty! Yeah it's a pretty cool color. I told my dad we're using the old body to learn how to paint. If it goes well we'll probly paint the red one, but you're right the red is growing on me too ha.

Quote by Deadlock Riff
lol nah its a righty plus i use huge strings. 14-72s the low e wouldnt even fit into the tuner lol and thing smaller than a .012 is hard for me to grip. plus i love the tone.

Wow, 14's I use 13's but I'm moving down to 12's on my main guitar. I was getting a pain in my ring finger so trying to be safe. The guitar they gave me had 9s on it, just like any new fender... man, It's hard for me to play it too. I can't really feel the high strings... plus, 9s for blues? bleh, w/e. It must be really hard for you to test out new guitars since they all come with 9's/10's.
lol yea. i usually test out a right handed model then have the store order a lefty version. plus for some reason when the high e is on the bottom instead of the low e its easier to play if its small. I don't know why but it is.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Congrats, I'm glad it worked out for you. It's good to see you went about it in an adult manner too instead of taking a flying shit on everything in sight.