Ok I realize that there exists a thread with an explanation of modes and I've read it. However it didn't help clear up my questions. Here is where I am at as far as theory. I have mastered both major and minor scales up and down the fret board, as well as the pentatonic scales. This has been very helpful playing in different keys, etc. I understand the circle of fifths and how to harmonized chords for different keys. My questions is this. What is the point of modes. I understand that Dorian starts on the second note of the major scale and phrygian the 3rd etc. My question is then, how would one write a song in a mode. If the D dorian mode for example, contains all the notes in the c major scale, what would make a song in D Dorian as opposed to C major? I think in order for me to progress in learning theory I need to understand this and for whatever reason I am just not grasping this concept. Sorry if the answer exists somewhere else, perhaps you guess can point me in the right direction. Thanks guys!
for it to be modal the chord progression has to resolve to the root. since modes are so unstable it's usually just a 2 chord vamp between the root note and the "flavor note" of the mode. it's kinda like major vs it's relative minor, it all depends on what it resolves to.
So would that mean if i wanted to play a song in D Dorian, for example, I would play something like Dm to C and use the D Dorian scale for soloing?

Another question I am a bit confused about is I saw somewhere where you can use a different scale over each chord. But again if its in one key whats the point?
Quote by queencityguitar
So would that mean if i wanted to play a song in D Dorian, for example, I would play something like Dm to C and use the D Dorian scale for soloing?

Another question I am a bit confused about is I saw somewhere where you can use a different scale over each chord. But again if its in one key whats the point?

well, not quite because the C chord would steal the resolution making it C major. for D Dorian you'd want like a Dm to Bm7b5. since the major 6th is the one that gives dorian it's feel.
Check out the links in my sig. The thing to remember is comparing parallel modes - e.g. D Dorian compared to D minor than comparing relative modes D Dorian and G mixolydian.

Then check out some of xxdarrenxx's posts on modal progressions he wrote some threads on how one might go about writing a progression that brings out modal flavours, and there was one that had examples of songs that use modal flavours.

At least have a listen to Norweigen Wood by the Beatles which starts with a D Dorian sound and later I think goes D Mixolydian if I remember rightly.

It helps to get some thorough explanations from a number of sources and hear examples. If you still have questions fire away.
Si
try reading modal jazz composition and harmony by ron miller, pretty good explanations - provided you know your theory